Speak EV - Electric Car Forums banner

MG ZS EV Q&A

92K views 391 replies 57 participants last post by  SteeveeLeevee 
#1 ·
Not just trying to start a thread with an unintelligible mix of letters for title. This looks like a good deal for someone with my drive profile and I've put a deposit down. Haven't seen the car in the flesh but have watched a few reviews and read what I could find and do still have a few questions. Would be good to have a place to share info on the car though. Can I start?
  • Heated front seats in Exclusive but not Excite model? No heated steering wheel in either?
  • We think HVAC rather than resistive heater?
  • Air conditioning rather than climate control in both?
  • No way to set charging, heating or air con through timers?
  • Any vents directed to rear seat passengers?
  • Any 'driver only mode'?
  • Can we set charging to set max val e.g. 80% or just to 100%?
  • No app for UK market at launch? Will car come with hardware \ SIM etc. to enable this in the future?
  • Does charge port look sufficiently robust or likely to break? How good is it likely to be at keeping out elements?
  • Assume cable is locked in place when car is locked?
  • I understand MG badge glows when charging? Any way of estimating charge level from outside the car e.g. 3 indicator lights like in Leaf and Soul?
  • No arm rest or cup holders for rear passengers?
  • Car more than 1 phone be paired with the car?
  • Since it has Apple Carplay and Android Auto I can use Waze and Spotify from my phone right?
  • Can we play music from memory stick and if so what formats are accommodated?
  • Do USB ports charge phone?
  • What brand tyres are fitted as standard?
  • Guess it comes with a tube of gunge and an inflation kit and no option for spare wheel?
  • Any 'curry hooks' in passenger compartment or boot?
  • Why is speedo marked to 140mph when car is limited to 89mph?
  • Does navigation include poi such as charge points and can these me updated?
  • Any info on charging speed profile (at what point does charging slow significantly on rapid chargers)?
  • What info is displayed in car about charge rates, time to complete charge etc.?
  • What warnings are given for low charge?
  • Anywhere to store RFID cards, change for parking, sunglasses etc.?
  • Auto wipers \ auto lights?
  • Does car 'remember' settings (power mode, regen, pilot etc.) or does everything need to be reset each time?
  • Any idea on service intervals and cost?
  • Assume comes with one year breakdown cover?

Don't think any of these are show stoppers but would be good to know.

See less See more
#6 ·
Thanks guys. The app looks really impressive but the fact that it is not currently available in the UK even though the petrol car has been over here for a year or more does not give me much confidence that it will be available for the EV any time soon. The Soul I currently drive has an app in North America that has never made it over here.

I've not got an obvious local dealer. I did pop into one but they were pretty clueless to be honest. Things might improve after training, but I suspect I'm likely to get more accurate answers from this forum than most dealers.

Good news on tyres, spare wheel option and charging display.

#8 ·
On The MG ZS EV FB page. Its been said that the Car has

• Michelin tyres
  • The app will be available Q2 2020
  • There are slots for charging cards on the righthand side of s/wheel if I recall correctly
  • Service interval is 15k miles @Miles Roberts Can clarify but I think it was a cost of ÂŁ90 for 1st 3 services and ÂŁ350 I think it was for the 4th as its got something to do with coolant changes.

#9 ·
On The MG ZS EV FB page. Its been said that the Car has

• Michelin tyres
  • The app will be available Q2 2020
  • There are slots for charging cards on the righthand side of s/wheel if I recall correctly
  • Service interval is 15k miles @Miles Roberts Can clarify but I think it was a cost of ÂŁ90 for 1st 3 services and ÂŁ350 I think it was for the 4th as its got something to do with coolant changes.
Looks like service is how they'll make up money long term as warranty only valid if it serviced by the dealer. 90GBP for pollen filter change and washer fluid top-up is a bit too much IMO.

#11 ·
More info on service costs. As @buck eejit suggests interval is 15000 miles or 12 months, cost ÂŁ90 for 1st, 3rd, and 5th service which are basically just inspections. ÂŁ165 for 2nd service, ÂŁ319 for 4th service including change to transmission fluid and coolant, making ÂŁ754 for first 5 but MG may offer a service plan.

#16 ·
It does have a digital speedo in the middle of the two clock, so need to check how easy it is to access that from the menu, if a digital speedo is important to you.

Does it have a speed limiter?

Doesn't seem to have a "Battery % remaining" indicator which is very useful on the LEAF, seems to have 7 LED pips instead, horses for courses I suppose.

#19 ·
I'd like to see proper neutral-light photos of the paint options so i can see what the pimlico blue looks like, along with he pearlescent white and the triple-coat red.
I've looked a various images of the blue and red but it's not easy to tell from them what the actual colours will look like.

#29 ·
Not seen any mention of that... Page 44 only mentioned rear fog light.

#36 ·
My two Leafs both had heat pumps, and placed very little drain on the traction battery, except when warming up when presumably they are assisted by a resistive heater. I rather fear that the absence of a heat pump in the ZS EV may cause a much larger drain on the battery - I believe at least double the power consumption. Miles Roberts has now confirmed on Facebook that there is no heat pump in the ZS EV. He says it is not a deal breaker - but I wonder? The winter range of the car will be affected.

#37 ·
Miles may have under judged the importance of a heat pump on a mid sized EV ranged car here !.
Just saying !.
I think a few people would have opted to loose a few of the fancy "Tech" bits in favour of the advantages of a heat pump I.M.H.O.
I know I would - big shame !.
A lot of though appears to have gone into the tech on this car to please the customers, how did they miss this important feature ???.
The resistive heater will murder the range in the winter, trust me I know.
Big over site on MG's part not to include a heat pump I think ????.
Can you pre heat the car when it is still plugged in - I guess not.
If you could, this would reduce the massive drain on the HV battery when using the heater in the winter time.
If you can't set a simple "Delayed Charge" - I suspect a pre-heating function is totally out of the question.
Eye off the ball moment here MG.

#38 ·
There would appear to be a big difference between the PTC heater in the ZS and a resistance heater. The PTC I understand is more economical a reduced is power requirements as it warms up. So may not be as bad as is being suggested.

I won’t be cancelling my order over this. SAIC should know all about this as they have a lot of experience. Certainly more than my 4 1/2 years of driving Leafs!

#39 ·
There would appear to be a big difference between the PTC heater in the ZS and a resistance heater. The PTC I understand is more economical a reduced is power requirements as it warms up. So may not be as bad as is being suggested.

I won’t be cancelling my order over this. SAIC should know all about this as they have a lot of experience. Certainly more than my 4 1/2 years of driving Leafs!
All PTC heaters are resistive heaters, they need the same amount of energy to heat an area as other resistive heaters, they just manage their maximum temperature by increasing resistance as they heat up. Unfortunately this means there will be a significant range loss in winter conditions.

#40 ·
No heat pump, 3k for heated seats and no heated steering wheel.
Bad call MG.
With cold fingers you can't avoid using heating...
And thus... Range slaughtered.

3 grand should buy you all 3 options.

Reactions: Carty
#41 ·
No heat pump, 3k for heated seats and no heated steering wheel.
Bad call MG.
With cold fingers you can't avoid using heating...
And thus... Range slaughtered.

3 grand should buy you all 3 options.
Also doesn't appear to be proper climate control, which is even worse, but that is to be confirmed. If there's no climate control and no heat pump I might reconsider my reservation.

#44 ·
Heating the battery and its coolant from 0ÂşC to operating temperature (~20ÂşC) will also use 2-3kWh on top of the cabin requirements.

B250e has liquid cooled pack and PTC heater and winter range is ~60miles vs 90 miles in summer.

100-110 for ZS EV from a cold start vs 140-150 summer would be my guesstimate.

#51 ·
Town driving and 50mph cruising is the sweet spot for EVs. Motorway speeds are not.

Our resident cabbie was getting 140+ summer miles from a 27kWh Soul EV with mostly urban driving.

ZS EV has 60% more capacity than a non-range mode B250e so it should be ~60% better range give or take a fistful of miles.

Bottom line is it will be more than adequate for most people's social driving.

Longest personal drive I have done in past 3 years has been 140 miles and most days I do less than 20.

2-3 times per year as a family we will drive Edinburgh to Southampton or similar, for which I still wouldn't countenance in a sub-250 mile car or a Tesla.

#52 ·
If 99% of your usage can be covered by the range of the MG then it’s a no brainier.
Then use the money you have saved on petrol to put towards hiring a ICE car for them “One - Off” trip’s from one end of the country to the other !.
Nissan would let you borrow a ICE car if you bought a leaf at one time for them larger trip.
Not a bad idea that ?.

#56 ·
Do you shop around for insurance quotes? I haven't got an EV yet but have had some quotes. For an E-Niro it was only about ÂŁ30 more than my 10yr old Kia Proceed and for a Tesla M3 which I was quoted ÂŁ450ish on compare the market I got a quote from Direct Line for about ÂŁ280.

#60 ·
OMFG!!!! When will this stop! So its got a heater and AC, what is climate control? Google it, its just intelligent AC/Heating. How does this intelligence work? With a temp sensor inside the car and some software to flip flop the heating/AC to the desired temp based on the internal sensor. Looking at the exclusive model you can see that it has a button to flip through the output settings (screen, face etc) and when you play with the fan/temp dials it shows on the in car display.

So the question you should be asking is..... does it have an internal sensor?

Based on the Thailand app I'd say yes it has a sensor because you toggle between remote heating and cooling. So unless MG are happy for your to chill your car to a fridge or furnace settings it's going to have a temp sensor to regulate your request.

OMFG there is no interior charge timer, no thats currently true, but there is an app with that function coming, I don't doubt MG could roll an update out to car too.

OMFG make your mind up, what do you want a heatpump at the expensive of interior tech? Then why complain the interior tech doesn't have all the features you want.

Also check you figures, the price difference between the ÂŁ2k, not ÂŁ3k. You want a heatpump, heated seats and a heated wheel... simple go buy the ÂŁ30+k car that provides those features.

The MG ZS EV is a budget EV that majors on space! Everything else is just a bonus. Don't like that then there is plenty of other EV Fish in the sea. Even at full bubble price, its still noticeably cheaper than its competition (even if you don't mind waiting a year for the competition delivery date).... pay more get more tech.

I'll end my grump there other than my final parting comment, don't buy a base Dacia Sandero then say its not got as many features as top spec Fiesta that costs more but comes with AC / satnav / central locking. Aside from 4 wheels and 5 doors they are very different cars.

#61 · (Edited)
OMFG!!!! When will this stop! So its got a heater and AC, what is climate control? Google it, its just intelligent AC/Heating. How does this intelligence work? With a temp sensor inside the car and some software to flip flop the heating/AC to the desired temp based on the internal sensor. Looking at the exclusive model you can see that it has a button to flip through the output settings (screen, face etc) and when you play with the fan/temp dials it shows on the in car display.

So the question you should be asking is..... does it have an internal sensor?

Based on the Thailand app I'd say yes it has a sensor because you toggle between remote heating and cooling. So unless MG are happy for your to chill your car to a fridge or furnace settings it's going to have a temp sensor to regulate your request.
OMFG look at all these people asking questions about an EV on a website about EVs, argggg.

Pipe down, this is a thread specifically about finding out what the spec of the car is, which people need to make an informed decision.

If you wanna shell out 27k on a car with no idea what's in it then go ahead, let the rest of us find out if it's worth the money a Kona isn't much more and includes most of the stuff we are asking about.

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.