Speak EV - Electric Car Forums banner

1 - 18 of 18 Posts

·
Registered
1,742 Posts
Discussion Starter #1 (Edited)
OK. So other than trying to win the two letter abbreviations soup prize,
With coughing up 100% more than I've ever spent on a car, there's going to be a lot more camping holidays.
So it simply begs the question, how useful would the the zs be for camping.

Questions I've thought off.
1)can it charge at 6 amp. Camp grounds can be have rubbish supply so even charging at all may require 6 amp. Technically it should as that's part off the charging spec.
However at least one user @Freddy has had a problem with a granny charger?
1b)can you set 6 amp from the car?
2)how easy would it be to run electrical kit from the car. Both 12v and via a 240 inverter? Dc/DC Wattage, is it constant etc Prob a thread off its own just on that question.
3)could you sleep in ZS and put it "camper mode" . Would it secure?
4)how easy is it to fit a roof rack to the Lower spec version?
5)has anyone found a dog guard that fits so you could take maximum advantage off that massive boot?
6)I belive it comes with a compressor instead off a spare tyre, anyone found /could 3d print an adaptor so you could put up an air beam style tent with ease?
7) Can it tow. @Miles Roberts did you get an answer to this?

Been thinking about this for a bit if you hadn't guessed.

·
Registered
44 Posts
Wondering the answer to 1) and 1b) myself!

2) You could plug in a 240v inverter into the 12v socket but think this will run down the 12v battery quite quickly when not moving. Similar to a non-electric car.

3) With the seats down its not completely flat but nearly. My guess after seeing the car is yes - with a suitable mattress. Not sure about sleeping in it with the doors locked.

4) The Excite version cannot be fitted with a roof rack.

5) MG can supply a specific dog guard for the ZS which will no doubt fit the ZS EV.

6) ???

7) Don't think its approved for towing.

When I get mine I will fill in the blanks!

·
Registered
1,742 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Re 2) I was thinking while the main circuit is still live. (what does this mean on the zs? Does the inverter run all the time?)
The Ampera puts 1100-1900 Watts over the dc/dc inverter at 14.4v so could technically take considerable load.

·
Registered
119 Posts
1) and 1b) I'm not aware that any car gives the option to limit the charge rate but there bound to be something out there though. Everything I've ever seen has been controlled from the charger itself. 6A is at the very low end of what cars are meant to support. I've read somewhere that they can ramp down to 1.4kW. I know my Zappi can do that by itself but can also be set to do just that if you like a nice long wait, not really a portable charger though. You'd need a very swanky granny charger to get the option to limit that or find one that can only ever give out that sort of power.

6) If you have a 3d printer then it isn't going to be hard to make something up. Not knowing what size of outlet you need but I'd suggest having a look at thingiverse.com for somethign that must work.

:whistle: Just happened across this picture.
The lip between the back seats and the floor is just one my minor gripes. Just no need for it showing poor design, raise the false floor level 30-40mm and it would be a nice perfectly flat floor and one step up from most other cars in this class.

·
Registered
300 Posts
I get where you are coming from, but at this price level there has to be compromises that have to be made. If you want perfection, then you have to pay £70K for a Jaguar I Pace, an even then there are compromises.

·
Zoe Devotee
7,912 Posts
I get where you are coming from, but at this price level there has to be compromises that have to be made. If you want perfection, then you have to pay £70K for a Jaguar I Pace, an even then there are compromises.

Indeed.

Worth drawing your attention to the boot closure area on the MG where your constantly loading stuff over into the boot.... look how the trim panel is finished. Then compare it to the Zoe that costs several grand more and its still as unfinished and exposed (easily scratched) painted metal as the 2012 model. Shows just where firms are making their savings, ok MG doesn't have an app, but its boot is designed for a hard life.

·
Registered
1,742 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
Soooo.
Popped into my dealer.
The charger doesn't have a 6 amp option nor could I find it in the menus. Guess this will be an extra cost. Dealer wasn't Aware off if it could take a charge at 6amp but as this is std spec I'm assuming it will for now.

I ran my cig lighter voltimeter and it ran the dcdc 12v circuit for 13.5v for 3 minutes then ramped up to 14v for about 5 minutes, had to go in but looks like it keeps the dcdc inverter open constantly... Which is good news. Wonder how many Watts it is?

Also boot IS flat.
At the front off the boot are two metal clips the boot floor clips under to secure it, however if you place the boot floor on top of these clips its level with the seats.

·
Registered
44 Posts
The emergency charger states 10A so when plugged it will draw 10A. Doesn't seem to be an option to change it to 6A. If you are in a camp site with less than a 10A supply you could trip the fuses for the whole site! I would go for a camp sites with 10A or more power supply.

·
Registered
289 Posts
I bought an adapter from a watersports supplier for about £5, with the idea of using a compressor to inflate an airbeam tent. I haven't actually used it yet though and may not... The pump for an airbeam tent moves a large volume of air at low pressure, whereas a tyre inflator moves a small volume at high pressure, I suspect it could take an age to fill a single beam. You're going to end up taking the pump anyway as the thought of not being able to put the tent up due a blown fuse is too much to contemplate.

·
Registered
1,742 Posts
Discussion Starter #11 (Edited)
I bought an adapter from a watersports supplier for about £5
Link?
The emergency charger states 10A so when plugged it will draw 10A. Doesn't seem to be an option to change it to 6A. If you are in a camp site with less than a 10A supply you could trip the fuses for the whole site! I would go for a camp sites with 10A or more power supply.
Was thinking about getting somthing like This one

·
Registered
39 Posts
Soooo.
Popped into my dealer.
The charger doesn't have a 6 amp option nor could I find it in the menus. Guess this will be an extra cost. Dealer wasn't Aware off if it could take a charge at 6amp but as this is std spec I'm assuming it will for now.

I ran my cig lighter voltimeter and it ran the dcdc 12v circuit for 13.5v for 3 minutes then ramped up to 14v for about 5 minutes, had to go in but looks like it keeps the dcdc inverter open constantly... Which is good news. Wonder how many Watts it is?

Also boot IS flat.
At the front off the boot are two metal clips the boot floor clips under to secure it, however if you place the boot floor on top of these clips its level with the seats.
I've seen 3rd party Granny Chargers on which the charge rate can be limited to 6A, 8A and 10A but I can't remember the name of it. I'm sure one of the aftermarket Type " outfits could either source one or point you in the right direction.

·
Registered
1,742 Posts
Discussion Starter #15
Also forgot to mention with the power on you can't turn off the DRLs, but I guess they are on separate fuse so could have a manual switch added?

But thinking about it Half on(orange light on the start button) the 12v voltage was 13 or 13.5v... That must mean the dcdc inverter is open?

Any chance an owner can confirm this? How long does it stay at 13v?

·
Registered
1,742 Posts
Discussion Starter #16
Also you don't need a rails to fit a roof rack

·
Zoe Devotee
7,912 Posts
12v voltage was 13 or 13.5v... That must mean the dcdc inverter is open?
Not necessarily, it just means the battery is healthy. If you tested it under load for 30mins did it drop in voltage?

·
Registered
1,742 Posts
Discussion Starter #18
Not necessarily, it just means the battery is healthy. If you tested it under load for 30mins did it drop in voltage?
No, which is why I asked if an owner if they could confirm?

1 - 18 of 18 Posts