Speak EV - Electric Car Forums banner

1 - 20 of 45 Posts

·
Registered
134 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Just had a look on Autotrader - a month ago electric was around 260 and petrol 320 (ish), as of this morning electric ZS's are now outnumbering the petrol models for sale. As far as I'm aware this is the first car where (listed) electric versions are greater in number than ICE. Heading in the right direction it seems and well done MG.

Reactions: modo

·
Registered
Renault Zoe 50
18,694 Posts
Hold on - doesn't that actually mean that they've sold more petrol than EV ?
No, merely more adverts have been placed. :)

If people where snapping them up there would be less cars available, not more.

Of course this could be a sign that MG want to shift the EV variant, which is a good thing.

·
Registered
134 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
Admittedly this could be viewed from the other perspective that people may be buying the ZS EV, not being happy with it and selling it, but I refuse to believe that :LOL:

·
Registered
167 Posts
Does that speak to how good the ZSEV is or how bad the petrol version is ha ha. Or people are holding on to their cars longer and often the driving force for those changing is to swap to electric?

Hoping to get my service and comfort pack installed on Thursday am but not sure if it will go ahead given new lockdown in UK starting that day.

·
Registered
208 Posts
There’s a lot of pre reg in the network at the moment - their bumper September seems to have been a lot of sales to the dealer network...

·
Registered
1,912 Posts
SAIC have made a deal with VAG to buddy-up for emissions - I suspect the influx of ZS EV and superb deals* available is part-funded by VW!

*Brand new Excite under 20 grand, pre-reg zero miles Exclusive in metallic for £20.5k

·
Registered
1,220 Posts
This could be a temporary anomaly, the Facebook page suggests a fair few people are swapping to the MG 5 electric estate.

I'm happy with my eZS, but I would probably have bought the 5 if it was available at the time. Mine has enough room but my kids are nearly fully grown teenagers and the boot would be a little small if we went away on holiday for two weeks (my wife packs everything)!

·
Premium Member
11,610 Posts
I missed the news of MG joining the VAG EU emissions open pool earlier this year and this will explain why they are registering a lot of BEVs as the pool need the Supercredits.

VW are probably struggling to deliver sufficient ID3 this year due to delays and every BEV in the pool will help. Obviously VAG will have paid MG to join, so they can afford to make less profit per car.

Attached is latest pool document...

Attachments

Reactions: TJEV

·
Registered
2020 VW ID3 Life 58kWh
340 Posts
Looking at Q1 for this year the ZS EV was just over 50% of new ICE registrations, I'd guess this would be partially due to lockdown and also due to a large number of pre-orders for the ZS EV being registered in Q1, in Q2 it went to around 30%. In September the ZS EV was about 33% of all MGs registered so clearly its doing well again and with the 5 coming soon I'd expect BEVs to possible account for nearly 50% of MG sales next year and with the HS plugin I'm pretty sure PHEV+BEV will be over 50% for MG next year.

As a little aside my local dealership told me that roughly for every petrol ZS they sell they sell an ZS EV too.

·
Registered
2,342 Posts
MG are really positioning themselves as the “electric for everyone” brand. It’s probably a fairly easy upsell, as I’m told the petrol engines are dire.

·
Registered
3,746 Posts
MG are really positioning themselves as the “electric for everyone” brand. It’s probably a fairly easy upsell, as I’m told the petrol engines are dire.
I have never driven a ZS before ordering the ZS EV.
I was offered a test drive in a ICE version of the car prior to ordering the EV - but I strongly declined the offer.
We did go right through the ICE car in the show room, checking on the driving position and all of the features, but no test drive thank you very much.
Why you might think ?.
Well - I knew that the motoring press had criticised the power units of the ZS very badly and I consider that a poor engine / drive train can completely turn people off what could be a pretty decent car really.
A great power train in even an average rated car, can turn that car into a great car.
A rubbish power train in the same average rated car will kill the sales figures dead !.
I wanted to give the ZS EV the best chance of impressing me, so therefore my first drive prior to ordering was in a newly delivered excite model way back in November 2019.
After the test drive of about one hour, the sales person asked what I had though about the car.
I gave him my honest opinion of the test drive and that the electric drive was brilliant.
His responce to this was :-
“This is the power train the ZS should have always had. Our head sales director told us to expect our phones to start ringing a LOT more now, almost every other call is now asking about the ZS EV”.

·
Registered
2,342 Posts
They're just great value cars, especially in electric form.

·
Registered
3,746 Posts
Who ever at MG made the decision to push ahead with electrifying the ZS and bringing it to the market last year, is likely to be earning a lot more money now than he did in the previous year that’s for sure !.
Probably the same person who signed off the release of the MG5 EV.
Wow ..... the introduction of the ZS EV has given them a massive boast to there sales figures.
Similar cars in the ZS but with a different form of propulsion, that’s basically it !.
Pitched at the correct time of the rising EV market and more importantly, at a price that most of us “Average Joe’s” can afford was vital in its success, or failure for that mater !.
I honestly believe there is a number of people who would LIKE to make the switch to EV - but the higher price of the same model from an ICE puts them off straight away unfortunately.

1 - 20 of 45 Posts