Speak EV - Electric Car Forums banner

1 - 20 of 20 Posts

·
Registered
18 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Did your dealer tell you about the EV's hidden secret entry key? I found it completely by chance.

·
Registered
18 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
... the old fashioned key that will get you into the car, should you ever need it ... (No Spoilers, please - just interested to see if anyone was told about it by a dealer!)

·
Registered
18 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
...well I would'nt class that as a spoiler, just a complete giveaway! Oh well. But do the dealers know?

·
Registered
53 Posts
Not in m
...well I would'nt class that as a spoiler, just a complete giveaway! Oh well. But do the dealers know?
Sorry, not deliberate, didn't see your post...

Key not mentioned in my experience.

But they did say that if the tailgate insn't completely closed then cruise control and one or two other functions are disabled.

·
Registered
Kona 64
603 Posts
I have a Kona which also has a secret key. I had a failure of the12v battery last month (replaced under warranty). With a dead 12v battery (even if the drive battery is fully charged) you have to use the secret key to open the door to release the bonnet to jump start the 12v battery. No 12v electrics is just as terminal as in an ICE.

The 12v battery does seem to be the achilles heel of the electrical system on EV’s. All your MG’s are far to new for this to be an issue yet but do store this info in your memory just in case.

·
Registered
3,159 Posts
I cover the key in this video

Reactions: Paul_C and Sandy

·
Registered
1,288 Posts
The feature isn't unique or even secret ! My leaf has a metal key inside the plastic 'remote control housing' as indeed does my 12 year old Volvo diesel. I'd be pretty surprised if most 'keyless' keys didn't have one too.

·
Registered
29 Posts
But did your dealer show you this?
Certainly did not!
This is the only car I have had, in 50 years of car ownership, where I have actually read the manual from cover to cover! The manual does refer to the manual key in the fob but there is no description or illustrations of how to access it - I probably would have got there in the end. But there is only a description of the process for using it, no illustrations and I'm sure it would have taken ages for me to work out without Mike's video.

·
Registered
MG EZS 2020
4,664 Posts
Did your dealer tell you about the EV's hidden secret entry key? I found it completely by chance.
Zoe has one in it's key card. I imagine most makes with key-less entry have them.

·
Registered
29 Posts
The feature isn't unique or even secret ! My leaf has a metal key inside the plastic 'remote control housing' as indeed does my 12 year old Volvo diesel. I'd be pretty surprised if most 'keyless' keys didn't have one too
Of course they do. That's not the point of this thread!

·
Registered
245 Posts
if the tailgate isn't completely closed
Interesting because it can be quiet difficult to check that the tailgate is closed. It really needs a firm close with the palm of the hand as the tailgate is not that heavy and doesn't make a very reassuring closing sound when closed normally or perhaps it is just mine. I'll ask the dealer when it goes in next week for a further charging software update.

1 - 20 of 20 Posts