Speak EV - Electric Car Forums banner

1 - 20 of 168 Posts

·
Registered
199 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hi all,I called into my Local MG dealer today to ask about the updates.During the conversation the salesman that sold me the car told me it would cost £90 for the updates for those who didn't buy their car from them,and free of charge for their own customers.He wasnt sure what all the updates were but mentioned the bongs and the temperature gauge.He told me they would be updating their demonstrater first and then contact us all for the roll out .The dealership is N T Shaw of Louth Lincolnshire.

·
Registered
3,464 Posts
Offering the upgrade for free for customers from the supplying dealer, is a good way to ensure that they retain the service work !.
Some things just never change, they are still up to their old “Head Working” games over blocking out any competition from other dealerships !.

·
Registered
MG EZS 2020
4,361 Posts
Offering the upgrade for free for customers from the supplying dealer, is a good way to ensure that they retain the service work !.
Some things just never change, they are still up to their old “Head Working” games over blocking out any competition from other dealerships !.
I think part of the willingness to do my for free was the fact that I have a service deal with them and the reversing camera fix. My purchasing dealer is miles away in Telford.

·
Registered
3,108 Posts
I’m having mine updated at Horsham Car Centre at the end of the month at a cost of £80+vat along with the drivers door wiring loom.

Reactions: Carty

·
Registered
199 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
I’m having mine updated at Horsham Car Centre at the end of the month at a cost of £80+vat along with the drivers door wiring loom.
Hi Mike is that the dealer you bought it from,as my dealer is doing it free of charge as a goodwill gesture to their customers if I were you I would go and ask them to do the same.Good luck.

·
Registered
3,108 Posts
Hi Mike is that the dealer you bought it from,as my dealer is doing it free of charge as a goodwill gesture to their customers if I were you I would go and ask them to do the same.Good luck.
It’s a bit of a drive up to Burnley where I bought the car. Yes Chorley Group are doing it for free, but it would be a 2 day trip with overnight stay, so cheaper & quicker to let HCC do the update.

I really don’t mind paying for it, as MG Motors UK has decided they won’t cover it. I think they should, but that’s different. If it takes around 2 hours as expected, £40/hour is a reasonable rate for a garage in the south east!

Chorley Group are doing the updates for free, but it will cost them around £18,000 for all the vehicles they have sold. MG are not reimbursing them, so I feel it’s unfair to expect them to cover it at their cost, especially in this climate.

·
Registered
199 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
I don't think it would really cost them £18.000 as it's only the time spent doing it.They would be paying the technician his wages at the end of the week whether or not they had any work to do, to my mind.

·
Registered
3,108 Posts
I don't think it would really cost them £18.000 as it's only the time spent doing it.They would be paying the technician his wages at the end of the week whether or not they had any work to do, to my mind.
About 2-3 hours per car which can’t be claimed back from MG and they aren’t charging the customer, when they could be earning money doing work they get paid for.

It’s like when a job I have scheduled gets cancelled. I’m self employed and if I can’t book anything else in that slot then I have ‘lost’ that income.

Reactions: Neilew and Curley

·
Registered
135 Posts
I don't think that I would br jumping for joy if I had to wait a week or so for urgent repairs warranty or otherwise due to being at the end of a update queue

·
Registered
3,464 Posts
About 2-3 hours per car which can’t be claimed back from MG and they aren’t charging the customer, when they could be earning money doing work they get paid for.
I do see your point Mike, but once the lap top is plugged in and the update is being applied the computer is doing the work.
The “Tech” does not sit with the lap top on his knee watching the day pass by while the update is being applied.
His actual time spent on the car will be very little IMHO.

·
Registered
914 Posts
I do see your point Mike, but once the lap top is plugged in and the update is being applied the computer is doing the work.
The “Tech” does not sit with the lap top on his knee watching the day pass by while the update is being applied.
His actual time spent on the car will be very little IMHO.
Agreed. If it takes the technician more than a few button presses to apply then MG should improve their systems.

·
Registered
199 Posts
Discussion Starter #17
I dont agree with that sentiment,not to be disrespectful but if I was a car dealership I would be looking after my own customers.Remember MG aren't paying for the updates so if the suplying dealer wants to look after his paying customers for free then that is good business sense.If those customers bought their cars from another dealer and wants to charge them for it then thats tuff on them they should have thought about that before.There is more to buying a new car than just getting a few hundred quid knocked off you have to look at the long term.This does not constitute a warranty issue as nothing is broken I'm sure there Will be quite a few dealerships that will do it for free as a goodwill gesture as my dealer said they will do.

·
Registered
3,464 Posts
If only the supplying dealer will ( maybe ) carry out the upgrade FOC as a gesture of good will, then MG are clearly at fault then.
If MG where picking up the "Tab" for the work, and I still think they should, you could take the car to any local MG dealer.
In my case ( and maybe the same with other owners ) the supplying dealer could well be a bit of a hike.
The supplying dealer for my car is a 120+ mile round trip.
Therefore, I will require a loan car for a couple of days, in order for them to carry out the work.
Or alternatively, I have to pay a more local dealer to carry out the same upgrade just because he did not supply the car ?.
If the upgrade only included the "Nice To Have" functions, then I agree.
If you want them, you pay for them !.
But surely there are elements of this upgrade, that are clearly designed to address / fix "Bug's" that we know are present in the original software.
MG must have agreed with the customers feedback / findings, or they never would have responded with fix in the first place ?.
Including some of the "Nice To Have" features in the same package as the required updates to address known software "Bug's" is crafty.
Then, by naming it as a "Comfort Pack" - is just a very clever way of combining both things together and then refusing to accept the labour costs for the work.
POOR !.
My previous car required a total of 13 improvement updates on just about every control module on the car, this was done on the time of its second routine service call.
ALL of them was conducted FOC.
It has to better to have all the same model of car, running on the identical software packages ?.
Otherwise, when it comes to future fault finding and warranty work claims, this can become a real headache.
The majority of reported issues can be related to software problems in modern cars today.
In cases like this, the software version will always be checked and then updated first in an attempt to rectify any customer problems.
Remember, we are driving computers with wheels today mainly !.

·
evezy referral code d6540
3,160 Posts

Reactions: Carty and Neilew

·
Registered
447 Posts
Perhaps a halfway house...

You can pay for the update or we will do it for free at the periodic extortion known as a service?

It’s interesting that as tech advanced so the service interval has reduced or remained static. My ancient (2008) Passat estate diesel originally had 2 options. Annual or 12k for you and me or every 2 years or 18k for fleets. Same warranty. Explained by expensive or really expensive oil options. The oil quickly harmonised to just the really expensive one.

Now so many cars ‘need‘ a once over every 10K for reasons never explained

1 - 20 of 168 Posts