Speak EV - Electric Car Forums banner

1 - 20 of 87 Posts

·
Registered
17 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Will the MG ZS EV have both the Granny charger as well as a Type 2 connector as standard in boot of car

·
Registered
1,748 Posts
The word on the street is the MG SZ EV may only come with the regular 13 Amp / 3 pin plug type "Granny" home charging cable as standard on delivery to the customer.
But, some MG dealerships have offered to throw in the additional / required type 2 cable as a gesture of good will, at the point of delivery.
Very well done them dealers, its only common sense really.
Interested to see if ALL dealers will follow this good example and therefore follow suit in providing the necessary power cable!.
An after market Type 2 - 5 metre length cable to buy from a third party supplier, will set you back around £150.00.
Interesting to see what happens when the first customer deliveries are rolled out later this month, fingers tightly crossed that the car's have been provided with BOTH types of charging cables !.
I have never heard of a EV being offered from new with only one charging cable.
I will be very strange if MG don't provide any means for their new customers to charge their SZ EV's from any type of untethered charging post ??.
Come on MG, you need to come good and up your game on providing the facility for new customers to gain access to the public charging network as soon as they collect their new cars.
Their first journey home could well be outside of the range of the battery on the ZS EV and may need to take a charging stop on route, pretty difficult to achieve if you are not provided with the necessary charging cable !.
Okay, the rapid chargers DO have a tethered cable for sure, but what if you only have access to a fast charging untethered post ???.
Basically your up shit creek with out a paddle !!.
It's useful to note, that some customers may already have a wall box installed, but they will require the correctly rated type 2 cable cable in order to charge their new cars.
Anybody who has a wall box already installed, does not want to revert to using the provided slow speed three pin plug 13 amp "Granny" unit.
The enforced use of this slow cable, will take at least double / triple the time to fully charge as a dedicated wall box !.

·
Registered
59 Posts
The Hyundai Ioniq se only comes with the granny cable, I got mine in March this year and only got the one. They used to come with both. They are just getting more greedy.
I test drove the Kona 64kwh se on saturday and it was a nice car but cramped the centre console sits too high or something. The rear legroom and boot are to small and the drive a little bit noisy at times, being picky. I wanted to have a drive before I drive the MG and 1 have enough to buy (part ex) one.
I am lucky to have some spare cash and I am not saving it until I am to old to enjoy it, so I ordered a new Ioniq face lift (yes I know the charge rate is lower on fast charging) but they are such an impressive motor, we love ours, we are getting 5.2 average! we do live in a rural setting. So with the slightly bigger battery we will be doing more destination charging and that will be great. Funny they say delivery will be late November for the Ioniq. I will still be buying the MG I think, unless I find something bad with it. You cant even order a Kona now anyway! and the Niro 15 mths? Funny thing MG give you a usb for the rear passengers, Hyundai don't, obviously their designers don't have teenagers. I am going to finish my black MG like the ZS 'Shadow edition' perhaps some bigger alloys? My body is old but I am young at heart, why leave all my money for the kids to blow.

·
Registered
1,748 Posts
If they are anything like my kids they can spend money like it going out of fashion !.
You spend most of your life working hard and saving your money, then when you pass your life savings are gone in a few short weeks !.
You enter this world with nothing, so leave it in the way you come in !.
Treat yourself, your a long time dead !. Ha Ha !.

·
Registered
17 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
The word on the street is the MG SZ EV may only come with the regular 13 Amp / 3 pin plug type "Granny" home charging cable as standard on delivery to the customer.
But, some MG dealerships have offered to throw in the additional / required type 2 cable as a gesture of good will, at the point of delivery.
Very well done them dealers, its only common sense really.
Interested to see if ALL dealers will follow this good example and therefore follow suit in providing the necessary power cable!.
An after market Type 2 - 5 metre length cable to buy from a third party supplier, will set you back around £150.00.
Interesting to see what happens when the first customer deliveries are rolled out later this month, fingers tightly crossed that the car's have been provided with BOTH types of charging cables !.
I have never heard of a EV being offered from new with only one charging cable.
I will be very strange if MG don't provide any means for their new customers to charge their SZ EV's from any type of untethered charging post ??.
Come on MG, you need to come good and up your game on providing the facility for new customers to gain access to the public charging network as soon as they collect their new cars.
Their first journey home could well be outside of the range of the battery on the ZS EV and may need to take a charging stop on route, pretty difficult to achieve if you are not provided with the necessary charging cable !.
Okay, the rapid chargers DO have a tethered cable for sure, but what if you only have access to a fast charging untethered post ???.
Basically your up shit creek with out a paddle !!.
It's useful to note, that some customers may already have a wall box installed, but they will require the correctly rated type 2 cable cable in order to charge their new cars.
Anybody who has a wall box already installed, does not want to revert to using the provided slow speed three pin plug 13 amp "Granny" unit.
The enforced use of this slow cable, will take at least double / triple the time to fully charge as a dedicated wall box !.
So would you recommend a Type2 connected 5m . Also should the home charger have a fixed connecter
Also I went to the dealership about the warranty over rust . I will be asking for a letter from the dealership so I have it in black & white.
I noted on the Kate &James YouTube they were charging on ionity 350kw charger get about 55kw

·
Registered
144 Posts
Hi there,
Last Saturday I became (one of) the first owner of a MG ZS EV.
I have to admit that I am really, really impressed with this car.
I might be able to answer some of your questions.
Hi there and welcome ... so straight into the questions / interrogation ;-)
1. In which country are you based ?
2. How have you managed to get one so early?
3. What model and colour did you buy?
4. What charging cables did it come with?

·
Registered
59 Posts
Hi there,
Last Saturday I became (one of) the first owner of a MG ZS EV.
I have to admit that I am really, really impressed with this car.
I might be able to answer some of your questions.
Welcome to the forum Gerrit thank you for posting. I would like to know is there any way of setting and timing, charging of the battery/ pre heat the car in the morning.

·
Zoe Devotee
7,616 Posts
Gotta presume @GerritBijlsma isn't in UK, so a lot of what he may be able to tell is may not be applicable in UK. So lets be sensible with the questions. No pre-heat, hvac or app questions please (Uk has none of those).

·
Registered
144 Posts
Gotta presume @GerritBijlsma isn't in UK, so a lot of what he may be able to tell is may not be applicable in UK. So lets be sensible with the questions. No pre-heat, hvac or app questions please (Uk has none of those).
I don't presume anything which is why the first question is which country are they based in. Also we can ask the other questions as if they are not uk based then it would be good to know their specs in other countries.

·
Registered
15 Posts
Yes, I live in Phuket, Thailand and was apparently the first to order one (even before MG opened the ordering).
In Thailand they offer for the first 1000 clients a free first class insurance for the first year, 8 year battery warranty without a km limit and a free home charger including installation. (I received the charger but it is not installed yet)
Yesterday I used the on-board 2.2 KW charger. I tried the car yesterday and decided that I need the windows to cover with dark film because, although the aircon works fine, the direct sun will win out here. Today I had the windows darkened with 80% film. It looks good though.

·
Registered
15 Posts
As far as I know, there is no way with the on-board charger to do any timing. There is (in Thailand an "I-Smart) system with MG's and an App that can remotely switch on the aircon (we feel no need for a heater here) but I have not been able to switch the aircon on while the car was on on-board charging. It might be because of the 2.2KW capacity....I also would have liked to be able to cool the car down while it's on the charger but...no luck so far.

·
Registered
144 Posts
Yes, I live in Phuket, Thailand and was apparently the first to order one (even before MG opened the ordering).
In Thailand they offer for the first 1000 clients a free first class insurance for the first year, 8 year battery warranty without a km limit and a free home charger including installation. (I received the charger but it is not installed yet)
Yesterday I used the on-board 2.2 KW charger. I tried the car yesterday and decided that I need the windows to cover with dark film because, although the aircon works fine, the direct sun will win out here. Today I had the windows darkened with 80% film. It looks good though.
Thanks for the updates. Does that make you the first owner of the MG ZS EV owner in the world ;-)? Also am I right to assume that yours was built in the Thailand factory i.e. they have both China and Thailand manufacturing these right now? Did you get the panoramic roof tinted as well as I've seen insulated pads that can be fitted into the roof to cut down on the heat that it generates? More questions ;-)

·
Registered
15 Posts
No, In China, this car goes as the MG eZS and has been available for more that a year over there (so I was told). Currently all MG ZS EV (or eZS's) are build in China by SAIC and apart from the I-Smart system, the cars for Thailand and UK should be the same general specs. (In India it has been announced for 2020 and those will be build in India.)
I have the tinted panoramic roof but also a (Thai language) voice command system!!! that can operate the roof, aircon, route planning and POI searches for the Nav system)

·
Registered
144 Posts
No, In China, this car goes as the MG eZS and has been available for more that a year over there (so I was told). Currently all MG ZS EV (or eZS's) are build in China by SAIC and apart from the I-Smart system, the cars for Thailand and UK should be the same general specs. (In India it has been announced for 2020 and those will be build in India.)
I have the tinted panoramic roof but also a (Thai language) voice command system!!! that can operate the roof, aircon, route planning and POI searches for the Nav system)
Thanks for the info. I wonder why the UK won't get the i-smart system, technical differences with comms, regulations and/or data protection issues? That voice control system sounds good wonder if that is available in the UK models or part of the i-smart system we won't be getting?
As for the need of a sunroof, the same could be said for the UK but for very different reasons ;-)

·
Registered
46 Posts
Many thanks for taking the time to inform us Brits eagerly waiting demos to test drive - any range info at different speeds would be appreciated though we know conditions will vary dramatically

·
Registered
15 Posts
I wouldn't know about these different regulations. Here, the MG comes with a SIM card on-board with internet access and a phone number and I can actually call my car. It has OTA software updates (that was done one week before I received my MG ZS EV). With this I-Smart App (also in English)
I can, at any moment, see where the car is with "Find my car", and its status (running, parked, locked, etc)
I can set a geographical electronic fence ring on the car between 500 and 10,000 meter.
I can remotely see the SOC, (un)lock the car and operate the aircon.

The voice command is in (some sort of) Thai, and also audible confirmed in Thai language but conformation written on the display in English. I was told it was unique for Thai. Here they also emphasize on the IP67 battery- and electrical system for up to 40cm of flooding (because we have that a lot here on the roads.

1 - 20 of 87 Posts