Speak EV - Electric Car Forums banner

61 - 80 of 87 Posts

·
Registered
93 Posts
Well that throws a spanner in the works then.
Full LED headlights, a new full LCD dash and a larger centre console screen, plus what ever the zebra 3 interconnect system is.
Yep I would like all of those please.

So the models we are getting in the UK, that aren't here yet, have already been shown to be the old version. Why would MG do that?

·
Registered
1,757 Posts
Well that throws a spanner in the works then.
Full LED headlights, a new full LCD dash and a larger centre console screen, plus what ever the zebra 3 interconnect system is.
Yep I would like all of those please.

So the models we are getting in the UK, that aren't here yet, have already been shown to be the old version. Why would MG do that?
That’s why we are receiving the intro discount maybe ?.
They knew a face lift was on the way, but wanted to get the EV launched over here before other manufacturers get there models rolled out.
Can’t see the U.K. getting the face lift model until the late 2020.
They could see customers cancel their deposits and wait for the face lift, but I can’t see there being any discounts on the newer model myself ?.

·
Registered
310 Posts
That’s why we are receiving the intro discount maybe ?.
They knew a face lift was on the way, but wanted to get the EV launched over here before other manufacturers get there models rolled out.
Can’t see the U.K. getting the face lift model until the late 2020.
They could see customers cancel their deposits and wait for the face lift, but I can’t see there being any discounts on the newer model myself ?.
By then hopefully they will have also told us if the models are galvanised

·
Registered
93 Posts
Exactly what I was thinking.
With the current version they get people driving cars at a decent price, get a whole heap of publicity and then bring out the updates in years time at a price that will probably be slightly less than the competitors but nothing like what they are currently offering.
I bet this makes the £3500 extra discount a given for all current version now. You're not going to be able to sell many cars at full value when you know there is a facelift version coming.

Just need to ask myself whether I can accept a car I know is outdated already and plan to change it sooner rather than later.

·
Journeyman Human
293 Posts
Why is it that everyone automatically wants the facelifted model? Often mid life facelifts, or re-styles are terrible.

A few examples...

Rover 75, looked great, facelift looked terrible.
Kia Sportage, last model was elegant, current looks hideous.
Leaf, first model was weird, current model is just awkward and ugly.

The outer facelift of the ZS just looks like a cheap current Ford styling knock off, worse than the current style. The interior may have some improved features but the "floating" ipad lookalike in the centre looks crappy, just following the current awful trend I suppose.

MG need to decide on a design language that suits the brand and then stick with it, evolving it over time. This jump from one copy of some other marque to another just leaves it looking a bit... well, cheap.

As for the time frame for the facelift, don't hold your breath, we carried on getting the MG3 here for at least 18 months after I'd first seen the new styling for sale in China.

·
Journeyman Human
293 Posts
By then hopefully they will have also told us if the models are galvanised
I have a little more hope that they may be galvanised now, (well at least some of them!) having seen the short EU MG film showing manufacture. It's over on the facebook group site. The bodies being welded in the film are a very bright silver, this would indicate they are zinc coated as plain steel is a much duller shade.

·
Registered
146 Posts
... Kia Sportage, last model was elegant, current looks hideous. ...
Can't disagree with that!

... The interior may have some improved features but the "floating" ipad lookalike in the centre looks crappy, just following the current awful trend I suppose. ...
I quite like the floating ipad although isn't it due to a touchscreen needing to be closer to you than a dash board normally is? Reaching for a touchscreen whilst driving can be a bit tricky otherwise.

·
Journeyman Human
293 Posts
Can't disagree with that!

I quite like the floating ipad although isn't it due to a touchscreen needing to be closer to you than a dash board normally is? Reaching for a touchscreen whilst driving can be a bit tricky otherwise.
It might indeed be this, I personally don't like the "tacked on afterthought" sort of look they have, would much prefer it sculpted into the dash itself (the current Audi A1 is a great example of this) but it may be more ergonomic.

·
Registered
101 Posts
I wonder if they intend importing 2000 of the current version before switching shape, hence the discount? When I spoke to the salesperson at the MG HQ London showroom he mentioned there would be an app next year. Could it be linked to the shape change? It would be good if they added a middle rear headrest. I imagine they'd like to move to a five star NCAP. There could be some good deals around model changeover time if they have some of the 2000 still sitting around. What will be the battery size on the new version?

·
Registered
93 Posts
Why is it that everyone automatically wants the facelifted model? Often mid life facelifts, or re-styles are terrible.
The current dash is a bit meh. The small centre part giving information is a bit out of time with the rest of the car and the power meter on the right seems like they had a gauge and had to do something with the space. My Zoe has a full LCD dash from 6 years ago.
Centre console is down to personal taste, as you say a lot of modern cars have gone this way, for me the German cars seem to be worst for this and really look bad. In the pictures for the MG it looks like they've at least tried to make it fit....ish
LED headlights are just in the, Why didn't they do that to start with, group.

Outside bits are so small to me as make no odds one way or the other, unless they change the charge flap!!

Still in the "I want one now" camp though, but they are making it harder to stay here.

·
Zoe Devotee
7,616 Posts
The current dash is a bit meh. The small centre part giving information is a bit out of time with the rest of the car and the power meter on the right seems like they had a gauge and had to do something with the space. My Zoe has a full LCD dash from 6 years ago.
Centre console is down to personal taste, as you say a lot of modern cars have gone this way, for me the German cars seem to be worst for this and really look bad. In the pictures for the MG it looks like they've at least tried to make it fit....ish
LED headlights are just in the, Why didn't they do that to start with, group.

Outside bits are so small to me as make no odds one way or the other, unless they change the charge flap!!

Still in the "I want one now" camp though, but they are making it harder to stay here.
Ironic.... bet you have the dash showing the power meter on your Zoe, like most of us do. Just because its digi doesn't make it modern. The LCD from the Zoe can be tracked back to earlier generation Scenic I believe. While I like my digi gauge, I have to say when I tried an egolf the dials appeared much more refined and classy. Thats the look MG have gone for. The small central screen manages to fit everything and more the Zoe dash shows.

For the amount of time you really look at the dash all you need is 3 small read outs, speed, range, % remaining (for those that don't trust range).

·
Registered
101 Posts
May also be some improvement in CATL battery spec.

·
Registered
101 Posts
I'd like a digi dash that could display android auto Google maps and consumption. Had the E Golf for a day yesterday. Efficiency was great, but decided its not for me. Noisy on motorway, crashy suspension, poor maps in nav, inability to display consumption on main screen. Kept missing turnings using main map so had to use the centre display on the dash, which meant I couldn't see consumption. The seats were dreadful, really cheap and uncomfortable. I stopped at a MG showroom whilst out in the Golf and compared the ZS to it. The seats in the ZS were great supportive and comfortable. Nav better. In short the ZS did not appear inferior to the Golf. Salesman said he hadn't a clue when they were getting a demo ZS EV.

·
Registered
15 Posts
Thanks for your reply.
The out of town dealer phoned me last Saturday (7th), told me my car had arrived and told me to pay the balance immediately which I did. They then told me the car would be ready to be picked up on Monday 16th at 9am. (What's the difference between Saturday at 6pm and Monday at 9am, I wonder?)
Gawd knows why they need to keep the car for a full week. All they are doing is installing tint on the windows.
The four (!) electricians had come to my house on Sep 3rd to inspect for the charger installation. They are fitting it on Tuesday.
I saw you driving just north of Heroines' Monument yesterday!
P.S. I originally went to the in-town dealer, made it clear that I was seriously interested and asked them to phone me as soon as I could have a test drive. (They had only received the car that morning and had not arranged insurance yet). They never phoned! So I took my business to the out of town dealer.
Congratulations! So you should be enjoying your car already for 2 days.

I wonder if you tried to use either "Android Auto" with an Android phone or "Apple Carplay" with an iPhone.
I can't get either to work. There is something like MG-Link but although I got that working, it is not very useful.
Also, the I-SMART remote app shows that the drivers door window is OPEN (but it is closed).
The dealer's salesmanager told me that there will be a software update soon and would check on these things.

I have not heard from the electrician again and asked the dealer about it...I am using the on-board 2KVA charger on the wall socket. (works fine too)

Funny about the dealers, I had the same story but the other way around with a sales woman from the Talang dealer.

·
Registered
14 Posts
Congratulations! So you should be enjoying your car already for 2 days.

I wonder if you tried to use either "Android Auto" with an Android phone or "Apple Carplay" with an iPhone.
I can't get either to work. There is something like MG-Link but although I got that working, it is not very useful.
Also, the I-SMART remote app shows that the drivers door window is OPEN (but it is closed).
The dealer's salesmanager told me that there will be a software update soon and would check on these things.

I have not heard from the electrician again and asked the dealer about it...I am using the on-board 2KVA charger on the wall socket. (works fine too)

Funny about the dealers, I had the same story but the other way around with a sales woman from the Talang dealer.
Yes, I've got the car.
I'm sorry, but I can't help you with your questions - I don't even have a clue what you're talking about, being a real dumbass when it comes to computers and the like. And I haven't even thought about installing the app yet. (Don't even know what an app is!)

My questions for you are much more simple:
1) Every time I turn on my car, the radio starts and I have to turn the volume to zero. I cannot find how to turn it off. The radio is not mentioned anywhere in the manual.
I have spoken to the people in the showroom. They say the radio cannot be turned off.
I don't believe! Can you help?

2) My headlamps are not bright at all. On a road with street lamps there's no problem but on a dark road with no street lights they are unacceptably dim. I cannot believe this is normal. Are yours okay?

The charger was installed in my garage yesterday. Took them six hours.

·
Registered
15 Posts
Yes, I've got the car.
I'm sorry, but I can't help you with your questions - I don't even have a clue what you're talking about, being a real dumbass when it comes to computers and the like. And I haven't even thought about installing the app yet. (Don't even know what an app is!)

My questions for you are much more simple:
1) Every time I turn on my car, the radio starts and I have to turn the volume to zero. I cannot find how to turn it off. The radio is not mentioned anywhere in the manual.
I have spoken to the people in the showroom. They say the radio cannot be turned off.
I don't believe! Can you help?

2) My headlamps are not bright at all. On a road with street lamps there's no problem but on a dark road with no street lights they are unacceptably dim. I cannot believe this is normal. Are yours okay?

The charger was installed in my garage yesterday. Took them six hours.
I downloaded an English manual that also does not include the infotainment system. I have a Thai version for the Navigation system and one for the I-Smart infotainment system. (But I can't read Thai)

There is an application or program (called an APP) for newer MG cars called I-SMART for Android and iPhones and you can see the status of your car wherever you are.

There is no radio in the car. There is a infotainment system that also has a radio function among many others.
You can switch the whole infotainment system OFF (Or stand-by) with a long press on the volume/home button. Another press will turn it on again.
Another option is to use the MUTE button on the steering wheel but you will have to do that every time after start.
Or, just select another audio source, USB (without a stick) or bluetooth audio or streaming audio from the sim-card. The source selection will be remembered when you start the car again later.

I have not driven the car much on dark roads but the Halogen lights and tinted film combination is not a good one. My 2008 Honda accord has Xenon lights and are brighter than the MG (and a 2010 Civic or Subaru XV).
There will soon be a LED aftermarket headlight system (I guess)

Hope this helps you a bit.

·
Registered
14 Posts
I downloaded an English manual that also does not include the infotainment system. I have a Thai version for the Navigation system and one for the I-Smart infotainment system. (But I can't read Thai)

There is an application or program (called an APP) for newer MG cars called I-SMART for Android and iPhones and you can see the status of your car wherever you are.

There is no radio in the car. There is a infotainment system that also has a radio function among many others.
You can switch the whole infotainment system OFF (Or stand-by) with a long press on the volume/home button. Another press will turn it on again.
Another option is to use the MUTE button on the steering wheel but you will have to do that every time after start.
Or, just select another audio source, USB (without a stick) or bluetooth audio or streaming audio from the sim-card. The source selection will be remembered when you start the car again later.

I have not driven the car much on dark roads but the Halogen lights and tinted film combination is not a good one. My 2008 Honda accord has Xenon lights and are brighter than the MG (and a 2010 Civic or Subaru XV).
There will soon be a LED aftermarket headlight system (I guess)

Hope this helps you a bit.
Thanks for this!

It was dark tonight when I took the car out on an unlit road, and those lights really are diabolical. They're so dim, they're dangerous. I'm hoping that there's something wrong with them but I find that hard to believe. I'd like to hear your comments about driving on an unlit road, please. Since 2005, I have had three previous new cars here, all with window tint, and had no problems with the effectiveness of the headlights.

I tried the selection of another audio source and I think that'll be my best bet, thanks.

Give me a few days and I'll come back to you, probably with more questions if you don't mind.

·
Zoe Devotee
7,616 Posts
Thanks for this!

It was dark tonight when I took the car out on an unlit road, and those lights really are diabolical. They're so dim, they're dangerous. I'm hoping that there's something wrong with them but I find that hard to believe. I'd like to hear your comments about driving on an unlit road, please. Since 2005, I have had three previous new cars here, all with window tint, and had no problems with the effectiveness of the headlights.

I tried the selection of another audio source and I think that'll be my best bet, thanks.

Give me a few days and I'll come back to you, probably with more questions if you don't mind.
You sure you had the lights on and not just DRLs? The left column stalk has a twist to off/on/auto. Make sure they are on/auto and not set to off.

61 - 80 of 87 Posts