Speak EV - Electric Car Forums banner
41 - 60 of 151 Posts

·
Registered
ID3
312 Posts
Not sniping,but shouldnt be compared with an id3 which is 10 grand dearer with less than half the warranty
Not sure I agree, people don’t always spend their whole budget on a car. I compared the id3 to a Tesla m3 and decided to keep the cash and spend more on hobbies. No reason people can’t consider this vs an id3 if they are the same size category?

·
Registered
959 Posts
It's this kind of model which will take EVs into the mass market, list price wise it's around the same as the Focus or the Astra, and that's a much bigger market to target. Assuming the model launch goes smoothly I reckon this will get added to company car fleets and sell by the boat load.

·
Registered
Vauxhall Vivaro Cargo 50kwh
489 Posts
I expect this is the sort of car that the fleets and rental mob will be snapping up. And that's a good thing.
I've seen lots of MG5s recently, and a significant proportion of them are taxis. Most other taxis in Aberdeen are Toyotas or Audis, which have a reputation for high quality (wheels falling off notwithstanding). Breaking into this market - price and quality sensitive, and comfortable enough to drive all day long - is a huge achievement, and if the MG4 continues to improve, it'll give the Golf and ID3 a hard time.

·
Registered
Mercedes EQC 400 4matic
750 Posts
Certainly a lot of enthusiasm here for this car. A car built in China where the profits go and jobs are. I understand that in some cases the cheaper price is the difference between being able to afford or not but maybe we should all think a bit more about the bigger picture🤔 French brands are still incredibly popular here for the simple reason French people will frequently prefer to buy French and made in France is a big marketing issue for any consumer item just like the post Brexit vegetables in the supermarkets. The 2nd favourite for cars is Germany still seen as local as we are all part of the same club. I myself would not buy a car that was not produced here in Europe on the grounds best to keep the jobs local. Does the fact the car is Chinese register as any issue at all with those of you interested in purchasing it?

·
Registered
VW ID.3 Family Pro Performance (Jan 22)
419 Posts
Certainly a lot of enthusiasm here for this car. A car built in China where the profits go and jobs are. I understand that in some cases the cheaper price is the difference between being able to afford or not but maybe we should all think a bit more about the bigger picture🤔 French brands are still incredibly popular here for the simple reason French people will frequently prefer to buy French and made in France is a big marketing issue for any consumer item just like the post Brexit vegetables in the supermarkets. The 2nd favourite for cars is Germany still seen as local as we are all part of the same club. I myself would not buy a car that was not produced here in Europe on the grounds best to keep the jobs local. Does the fact the car is Chinese register as any issue at all with those of you interested in purchasing it?
The situation in the UK is different because there are no significant British car manufacturers and going back to the 80s at least, there have been as many American and Japanese cars sold here as European ones, so I wouldn't say most people feel any particular attachment to European cars. However, in the case of China now, it's becoming clear their Government's policies are are aimed at taking over global leadership from the west wherever they can and that they are a threat to the prosperity we have enjoyed over an even longer period of time. EVs provide an opportunity for China to break into and take over a large part of the car market from established brands in a way that furthers that goal (albeit, car manufacturer is not very significant in the UK particularly). In that context, while I'm as happy to buy a Japanese or American car as I am a European one, I would currently think very hard about buying Chinese.

·
Registered
959 Posts
Certainly a lot of enthusiasm here for this car.
Yes because I think most are focussing on the car and what it offers for an affordable price, rather than the geo-politics. It looks a good, reasonably affordable mass-market hatchback which is what is needed for the average person to buy and run an EV.

Even if people don't buy one, it provides some welcome competition to encourage the European car manufacturers to raise their game and bring forward similar affordable models.

Probably one of the most disappointing things about the EV market has been how Western manufacturers have focused on the luxury end of the EV market, churning out ever bigger and more expensive premium EV and SUVs, models priced well above the price range of the average car buyer, with very little for the mass market. It has left a big gap in the market for manufacturers capable of providing something more affordable and mass market.

·
Registered
1,155 Posts
As mentioned above from a UK perspective there's no real British equivalent.

French love french cars, and Germans love German cars.

UK likes German cars too but carry a higher price tag.

British people historically think French cars are a bit crap with dodgy electrics so brands like Citroen Peugeot and Renault were/are seen as lower tier.

They also associated Chinese with copycat and cheap knockoffs but that's been broken in the last few years with brands like SAIC and Geely.

Price wise it doesn't matter than the value for money option is Chinese as long as it does what it says on the tin. There's no loyalty to buying British, we've basically got Jaguar Land Rover 🤷 or the Sunderland plant chucking out crappy Nissan's, or Oxfords Mini plant if supporting jobs but no one cares.

·
Registered
Tesla Model 3 LR. Mini Electric on order
1,188 Posts
Certainly a lot of enthusiasm here for this car. A car built in China where the profits go and jobs are.
I’m about to take delivery of a UK built EV, made by a German-owned company. It’s successor will be built in China, as is my friend’s BMW. We also have a Chinese-made car from an American-owned company. Our replacement for that may well be built in Germany. I don’t suppose many people here approve of China politically or socially, but cars, like tech more generally are part of a global market that our individual purchasing decisions have little impact on. I’d like that to change, but on balance I’m keener that the world adopts EVs quickly, as part of a push to minimise global heating.

Even if people don't buy one, it provides some welcome competition to encourage the European car manufacturers to raise their game and bring forward similar affordable models.
I completely agree with the point above: the European car industry needs to do a lot more, a lot more quickly to make EVs price competitive for middle income families. The MG4 may give them a wake up call.

·
Registered
VW ID.3 Family Pro Performance (Jan 22)
419 Posts
I’m about to take delivery of a UK built EV, made by a German-owned company. It’s successor will be built in China, as is my friend’s BMW. We also have a Chinese-made car from an American-owned company. Our replacement for that may well be built in Germany. I don’t suppose many people here approve of China politically or socially, but cars, like tech more generally are part of a global market that our individual purchasing decisions have little impact on. I’d like that to change, but on balance I’m keener that the world adopts EVs quickly, as part of a push to minimise global heating.

I completely agree with the point above: the European car industry needs to do a lot more, a lot more quickly to make EVs price competitive for middle income families. The MG4 may give them a wake up call.
Our supply chains are obviously very integrated and we buy stuff made in China all the time. What's more relevant to me is whether I am buying something that is part of a strategy to extend Chinese influence around the world - in this case by taking over the car market. I agree that the European manufacturers (actually, all established manufacturers including the Japanese, Koreans and Americans too) need to focus on more affordable EVs and some competition in that area is good.... but I don't want them to be all put out of business and we become reliant on China for personal transport. I don't think that's a far fetched scenario in 20 years' time - they have more resources, more people, a massive internal market and a coordinated strategy. No German or French manufacturer is going to compete once initial barriers to entry are fully overcome. The EV transition is removing some of those barriers because they have put a lot of resources in to battery and other EV tech development without starting a long way behind. The move to autonomous driving will help them further.
Maybe I'm overthinking this and I accept there are a lot of grey areas. But I do think it's important. As for individual decisions making no difference, that's an identical argument to the one that can be made about environmental impact: but many of us bought EVs because we want to do our bit.

Anyway, I've taken this off-topic :)

·
Premium Member
ID.4 GTX & M3 LR
10,500 Posts
No German or French manufacturer is going to compete once initial barriers to entry are fully overcome.
There’a a reason that the big automakers are investing Billions in Chinese car/battery factories, VW, Tesla, Mercedes, BMW etc.

They do it because it’s a huge market, but also so that they can benefit from the lower costs, higher productivity and proximity to raw materials and suppliers that Chinese factories bring and they can compete that way.

Protecting IP rights is still a problem though.

Some of those investments must be at risk, given the current direction of travel.

·
Registered
1,435 Posts
I think there's been a bit of comparig apples with oranges here - The current ID3 range has been standardised due to a parts shortage. The current Life spec is on par with the MG4 Trophy, so the price gap is a lot smaller than the £10k being touted. Before that streamlining of range, the bottom end ID3 Pure 45kWh came in a lot cheaper (about £3600 more than the MG4 SE before the then available grant was taken into account) and had a far better spec than the bottom end MG4.

On that front, I do think that European built cars on a like for like basis aren't necessarily leagues away in cost. Right now, it seems that the likes of VW are prioritising their limited supply of parts to higher specced cars with a better margin, but do expect that to resolve itself when the parts shortages are resolved. I would always expect a Chinese built car to be significantly cheaper than a Eurpopean one, simply for the cost of labour - apart from the almost fully automated processes of welding and painting the bodyshell, car manufacture is still a labour intensive process.

With that in mind, i'd expect the Chinese bult cars to be cheaper than they actually are currently - they've likely got a far bigger margin per car than the likes of the French and German marques becuase of the cost of labour and mainly domestically sourced parts for the Chinese. They're as cheap as they need to be to attract some away from the European built cars, and no cheaper. Remeber when Hyundais used to be dirt cheap, then when they got their feet under the table for supply to the European markets, their prices increased to the point that they're definitely not cheap, and then Kia was introduced as the budget alternative and again once established, the prices go up until they're not budget orientated any more - VAG have done that with Skoda too.

·
Registered
Mercedes EQC 400 4matic
750 Posts
Apologies for taking the thread a little off topic. But thanks for all the replies very interesting I may think of starting another thread to leave this one for those wanting to discuss this particular car.

·
Registered
8 Posts
I think there's been a bit of comparig apples with oranges here - The current ID3 range has been standardised due to a parts shortage. The current Life spec is on par with the MG4 Trophy, so the price gap is a lot smaller than the £10k being touted. Before that streamlining of range, the bottom end ID3 Pure 45kWh came in a lot cheaper (about £3600 more than the MG4 SE before the then available grant was taken into account) and had a far better spec than the bottom end MG4.

On that front, I do think that European built cars on a like for like basis aren't necessarily leagues away in cost. Right now, it seems that the likes of VW are prioritising their limited supply of parts to higher specced cars with a better margin, but do expect that to resolve itself when the parts shortages are resolved. I would always expect a Chinese built car to be significantly cheaper than a Eurpopean one, simply for the cost of labour - apart from the almost fully automated processes of welding and painting the bodyshell, car manufacture is still a labour intensive process.

With that in mind, i'd expect the Chinese bult cars to be cheaper than they actually are currently - they've likely got a far bigger margin per car than the likes of the French and German marques becuase of the cost of labour and mainly domestically sourced parts for the Chinese. They're as cheap as they need to be to attract some away from the European built cars, and no cheaper. Remeber when Hyundais used to be dirt cheap, then when they got their feet under the table for supply to the European markets, their prices increased to the point that they're definitely not cheap, and then Kia was introduced as the budget alternative and again once established, the prices go up until they're not budget orientated any more - VAG have done that with Skoda too.
Apologies if I’m missing something but I don’t see that the ID3 is on par with the MG4 Trophy. This is the info I could glean from the VW website, could be wrong:

58kwh vs 64kwh battery. While the WLTP range is similar I’d always take an extra 6kwh particularly considering battery degradation over time.

Much more advanced driver assistance/safety systems. For example MG has lane change assist and 360 camera whereas the ID3 only has a regular rear view and simple lane keep assist.

Steel wheels. The MG comes with alloys as standard.

Electric 6 way adjustment for driver and 4 way adjustment for passenger, from what I can see the ID3 only comes with basic height adjustment as standard.

Warranty. 3yr 60k vs 7yr 80k

So you’re paying an extra £4700 (Over 5 grand if you don’t want steel wheels!) for a car which comes with some quite noticeable spec negatives.

If you wanted these features in an ID3 I’m pretty sure you’d be getting close to £40k due to the way the range is structured.

·
Registered
Vauxhall Vivaro Cargo 50kwh
489 Posts
Apologies for taking the thread a little off topic. But thanks for all the replies very interesting I may think of starting another thread to leave this one for those wanting to discuss this particular car.
I've ordered a Vauxhall Corsa. It's a British brand, which was owned by GM (American) for about 100 years, before being sold to PSA (French) who then merged with FCA (Italian/American). Its based on a French platform, built in Spain, with a Chinese battery.

My bicycle is a Brompton, designed and built in London, but parts come from all over. It's very expensive; far Eastern knock-offs can be had cheaper, and with interesting improvements like a full titanium frame, and different gearing options which Brompton simply don't sell.

Global supply chains - and modern products - are so complicated I'm not sure it's possible to design and build anything in a single country. Certainly not for a competitive price.

·
Premium Member
ID.4 GTX & M3 LR
10,500 Posts
58kwh vs 64kwh battery. While the WLTP range is similar I’d always take an extra 6kwh particularly considering battery degradation over time.
Gross ID.3 battery capacity is actually 62kWh, 58kWh is the usable capacity.

MG4 LR is 61.7kWh usable according to this thread, so 3.7kWh difference.

People are comparing them because they’re EVs, not necessarily because they’re in the same car segment in terms of size etc, but there’s definitely some overlap in features and tech spec if not in price.

Once supply chain issues are stabilised, I expect that VW will start offering the sub 50kWh models again.

And actually, we’re not surprised that a VW spec for spec is more expensive than an MG are we?! ‘‘Twas always thus…”.

·
Registered
1,435 Posts
Apologies if I’m missing something but I don’t see that the ID3 is on par with the MG4 Trophy. This is the info I could glean from the VW website, could be wrong:

Much more advanced driver assistance/safety systems. For example MG has lane change assist and 360 camera whereas the ID3 only has a regular rear view and simple lane keep assist.

Steel wheels. The MG comes with alloys as standard.

Electric 6 way adjustment for driver and 4 way adjustment for passenger, from what I can see the ID3 only comes with basic height adjustment as standard.

Warranty. 3yr 60k vs 7yr 80k

So you’re paying an extra £4700 (Over 5 grand if you don’t want steel wheels!) for a car which comes with some quite noticeable spec negatives.

If you wanted these features in an ID3 I’m pretty sure you’d be getting close to £40k due to the way the range is structured.
Its swings and roundabouts IMO - the ID3 has some better spec than MG4 and vice versa:-

The ID3 has a 62kWh battery, 58kWh usable - the MG4 has 64kWh, but 61.7kWh usable - not a huge difference, and amounts to an extra 5 miles WLTP range on the combined cycle (probably 4 miles in reality).

The MG4 is a bit slower (7.3s vs 7,7s 0-62), than the ID3 and has considerably less torque (310Nm vs 250Nm).

The ID3 has front and rear parking sensors, and a rear camera - the MG 4 has rear parking sensors and a 360 degree camera. I personally trust my parking sensors more than my camera - i'd consider that pretty even.

17" alloy wheels vs 18" steel wheels - there's not a lot there to brag about -- i'm sure that VW could've put 17" alloys on for the same price, the price difference in the bigger tyres probably cost as much as the difference between a 17" alloy and an 18" steel wheel with trim.

As someone who switches cars with the wife a lot, unless the electric seats have driver profile memory, i'd rather manually adjust, and neither the MG or VW systems (available on other models, were available on higher spec ID3s) seemingly have that. Not a huge expense to add on the VAG cars that currently have access as an option.

Warranty wise, it's not as straightforward as you make out. The whole MG car seemingly has a 7 year 80k mile warranty, including anti perforation - only 7 years, and presumably the battery as I couldn't find any battery specific info. The VW car as a whole is 3 years and 60k miles, but the battery is 8 years/100k miles and anti-perforation is 12 years. I'd say overall, the coverage is comparable - again, swings and roundabouts. When both cars are 10 years old, i'm sure the VW will still be looking quite tidy if looked after - i'm imagining that MG will have rust all over it.

"Much more advanced driver assistance/safety systems" - by the addition of lane change assist? Both cars have a lot of safety sub systems adding to that as listed, the addition of lane change assist is a very small incremental improvement (if it works as intended). For me, most of these systems are a necessary evil to push towards autonomous driving and for NCAP ratings sake, mitigate the risks of an even increasing number of morons who don't pay attention at the wheel ecause thyre faffing with their mobile (I strongly dislike Lane Assist).

The ID3 has auto lights, auto wipers, customisable ambient lighting and the IQ light (which I miss in my Born, it was a great feature in the ID3), which the MG doesn't have in its online spec (would be surprised if it doesn't have auto lights and wipers. The overall package between the 2 cars is pretty much the same, but the interior room of the ID3 looks to be considerably more generous going by pictures and dimensions alone(my ID3 has more front and rear legroom than my old Audi A4).

41 - 60 of 151 Posts