Speak EV - Electric Car Forums banner

1 - 20 of 122 Posts

·
Registered
419 Posts
Interesting that the marketing earlier in the year said £20-25k and the list quoted here is £30k.

MG dealers have swappage running but they are still just taking deposits with no price.

·
Registered
3,097 Posts
With a list price of £30,000, that is less than the ZS EV Exclusive at £31,000.

·
Registered
4,378 Posts
With a list price of £30,000, that is less than the ZS EV Exclusive at £31,000.
But with an unknown specification. There's to little detail at the moment to say anything other than it looks great value and is the only EV estate.

·
Registered
MG EZS 2020
4,262 Posts
Ouch that lease is expensive. Anyone know if it can tow?

·
Registered
MG EZS 2020
4,262 Posts
That's a shame. I'm trying to get my brother into an EV, but he needs to tow a caravan. The MG5 would have suited him to the ground, if it could tow. Neither he or I have Tesla money :(

·
Registered
4,378 Posts
They are investigating this. Some background - in China, you need a separate licence to tow a trailer. It's not a common thing for them, so they don't ever really plan a towing capacity for their cars.

Both MG Europe and MG UK have specified that they want towing capability (if only for the purposes of a bike rack or very small trailer), but it depends on whether the rear axle weight will be rated high enough.
I'm not aware of any advance on this. Perhaps @Miles Roberts can confirm either way?

Reactions: booms

·
Registered
593 Posts
Not sure what MG are up to with this one. They basically bring over a car that looks like an old Asian taxi and don’t even bother to warm over the front to give it the MG family look.

Even the latest MG6 which never made it to the UK looks way better than this, it is like they are treating the UK market like a budget backwater...but expect top dollar.

·
Journeyman Human
450 Posts
I think the reason is they never intended the MG5 to come to the UK at all, but when ZS EV sales took off, someone suddenly realised there is no EV estate in the UK and a market for one, so decided to rush it to market to fill the hole.

It is incredible that they've made no attempt at all to change the face to an MG family look. Could have got away with literally just the bumper cover and grill, but no, just the badges!

·
Registered
12 Posts
I think that Miles Roberts said that any changes to the nose would require new crash testing hence for the sake of not delaying the car's release outside of China, only the badge flap was changed.

·
Registered
593 Posts
Fair enough, but the car has already been in China for over two years, so they've had some time to plan this. It just seems like they are throwing something cheap at the wall to see if it will stick.

·
Registered
12 Posts
It's no different to what they have done with the MG5 saloon and the MG RX5 both which are currently sold in the Middle East.

Why fix if it ain't broken?

·
Registered
419 Posts
Can’t please everyone is a well worn but true phrase.

It’s the only estate

With the swappage it’s low to mid £20ks with a 214WLTP.

Or spend £35k on a smaller ‘babyUV’ that won’t hold your dogs, sprog and your stuff.

I suspect there’s an element of see what happens going on here. Is the badge and brand enough or do they need to remodel (and re-test) a new nose per brand.

·
Registered
593 Posts
What's the swappage?

I'm in agreement about the basics. An estate EV would be the car to have, I sold a Golf 7 Estate for an Ioniq, so for the next car I wouldn't mind having the space back.

It's just a shame they've broken their own design theme and gone backwards with something that looks 10 years old+

·
Zoe Devotee
9,218 Posts
Am I reading it wrong is that just a rebranded part exchange? If I turn up in £50 banger with an MOT they surely aren't going to give you £7K off list?
If your £50 banger meets the criteria then yeah they are! ;)

1 - 20 of 122 Posts