1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Registered
24 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Does anyone have any details about the MG5 battery pack / modules

So far I know:
  • its 52.2/48.8 and 61.1/57 for the long range
  • that the 52kwh battery is a normal 96s setup like most EV's (as opposed to 108 used by some)
  • made by CATL and LFP technology
  • Liquid cooled

looking at using an MG5 52kwh battery pack in my EV conversion and wondering if anyone had any info about the size (dimensions or capacity) of the modules used in the MG5, weight of pack or modules, or just a photo of the pack with the lid off so I can get a better idea about what's inside. Cant seem to find any useful info online

·
Registered
2020 VW ID3 Life 58kWh
580 Posts
I believe the 52.2 kWh battery is NCM and that the LFP battery is coming on the 2022 refresh standard range when its capacity will be 50.3 kWh gross.

·
Registered
2,358 Posts
In China the 52kWh Roewe Ei5 has a LFP pack, and the 61kWh NMC.

I thought the UK ones would be the same as there is virtually no weight difference (about 15kg).

However, owners of the SR have shown the plates on their packs as NMC batteries.

LFP apparently tolerates charging to 100% like a boss so makes sense to have it in a smaller pack I guess.

New ZS LR is rumoured to be NMC 811 chemistry which I believe isn't quite so jolly at very high SOC, but the car can now allow you to charge to a set %age, eg 80%, routinely and stretch to 100% when you want the extra range.

·
Registered
24 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·

·
Registered
24 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
I imagine if these cells are used, they'll be in 4s1p modules like this (although this is using the 180ah cells):

·
Registered
24 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
Which would mean they are very similar to existing CALB modules (apart from the CALB modules being 4S3P) they are exactly the same dimensions and very similar weight and the same capacity.

this is fairly likely as the modules used in the ZS EV are similar to existing modules (can't remember which ones)

1 - 6 of 6 Posts