Speak EV - Electric Car Forums banner
1 - 5 of 5 Posts

·
Registered
209 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hi all,

I see there's an example charging profile for the MG5 on ABRP in the forums:

Doesn't look like it's available in the actual tool yet.

Does this seem about right to those of you who have tried charging your MG5 on a high power charger? I'd be interested to know if, in practice, the MG5 can add miles a lot faster than something like a Zoe 50 CCS.

I remember that the MG ZS EV theoretically could do something like 80kW, but it seemed like that just didn't happen a lot of the time. Wondered how consistent the MG5 is.

·
Registered
Ze50 GT Line Elmo Referral ISB2GG for mutual £50 off
458 Posts
According to the info from your link, and fastned's for the Zoe, a quick work of photoshop gave me this:

Basically the MG 5 EV should charge substantially faster than ZOE50 in the 20-80% bracket.

·
Registered
209 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Hi @alegar

Thanks for doing that - I think you're right. My gut feel is that the MG5 should be able to do long journies quite a lot fast than the Zoe. Probably closer to a Peugeot 208 than a Zoe if TeslaBjorn ever gets around to doing a 1000km challenge in an MG5.

The Zoe can do more miles/kWh, but the MG5 looks like it can sustain a much better kW charge rate. The MG5's range is lower, but there'll be less difference at motorway speeds. Also I suspect the MG5's drag factor will help it perform relatively well in high speeds/colder weather.

Was hoping to let ABRP do the work!

·
Registered
Ze50 GT Line Elmo Referral ISB2GG for mutual £50 off
458 Posts
Hi @alegar

Thanks for doing that - I think you're right. My gut feel is that the MG5 should be able to do long journies quite a lot fast than the Zoe. Probably closer to a Peugeot 208 than a Zoe if TeslaBjorn ever gets around to doing a 1000km challenge in an MG5.

The Zoe can do more miles/kWh, but the MG5 looks like it can sustain a much better kW charge rate. The MG5's range is lower, but there'll be less difference at motorway speeds. Also I suspect the MG5's drag factor will help it perform relatively well in high speeds/colder weather.

Was hoping to let ABRP do the work!
Acc to Bjorn's data, the MG ZS EV was only 5 min slower than ZOE 50 in the 1000km challenge (although zoe was on wet road, similar temp 0-8Celsius). If the MG 5 EV has 48.8 kWh of usable (vs 42.5 of the ZS EV)energy, roughly 15% more than the ZS EV, it should be a little bit faster than the ZOE50 (estimating similar efficiencies to ZS EV). To compare he did 2h less on the e208 for the 1000km challenge but with better weather (14-20 celsius)

his full data can be found here: TB tests

·
Registered
209 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
Acc to Bjorn's data, the MG ZS EV was only 5 min slower than ZOE 50 in the 1000km challenge (although zoe was on wet road, similar temp 0-8Celsius). If the MG 5 EV has 48.8 kWh of usable (vs 42.5 of the ZS EV)energy, roughly 15% more than the ZS EV, it should be a little bit faster than the ZOE50 (estimating similar efficiencies to ZS EV). To compare he did 2h less on the e208 for the 1000km challenge but with better weather (14-20 celsius)

his full data can be found here: TB tests
Wow, great timing - the MG5 data in ABRP has just available, so it's now possible to plan trips and compare across cars.

I've set up an example journey from Edinburgh to London (about 400 miles), and results are actually really good for the MG5.

That link was the same for all four cars I tried, so the results are:

MG5 9hours 7minutes
Zoe 135: 10hours 12minutes
Peugeot e208 9 hours 30minutes
Tesla 3 LR 2021 7 hours 14minutes

Great to see, I wonder if MG5 charging speeds are consistent.

Blue Colorfulness Yellow Green Red
Blue Colorfulness Yellow Red Text
Blue Yellow Colorfulness Red Text
Blue Yellow Colorfulness Text Red

1 - 5 of 5 Posts