Speak EV - Electric Car Forums banner
1 - 20 of 55 Posts

·
Super Moderator
5,892 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Ok so made a massive mistake yesterday when we took the Volt into have a service..... My wife sat in the MG5 and I think she may be in love......

Haven't test driven one yet but my main concerns are the lack of delayed charging.
My question are......
Pay a bit more and wait for the LR with pro pilot (which I am 99% certain she wont use)
Buy a top spec LEAF+ which doesn't look massively smaller but will have a better range and the delayed charge
Wait a bit and buy one of the last SR which I am sure will go down in price.....

Although she now mostly works from home she does have times where she has to drive from home in Beds all over the country, including Manchester, Liverpool, Portsmouth, Exeter. The Volt has been great but when out and about she doesn't bother to look for a charger, something that will have to change. She in general doesn't drive for more than 2 hours without stopping.... She is a very keen gardener (she's been on Gardners World with our garden) so the estate would make life easier.....

·
Zoe Devotee
9,147 Posts
Ok so made a massive mistake yesterday when we took the Volt into have a service..... My wife sat in the MG5 and I think she may be in love......

Haven't test driven one yet but my main concerns are the lack of delayed charging.
My question are......
Pay a bit more and wait for the LR with pro pilot (which I am 99% certain she wont use)
Buy a top spec LEAF+ which doesn't look massively smaller but will have a better range and the delayed charge
Wait a bit and buy one of the last SR which I am sure will go down in price.....

Although she now mostly works from home she does have times where she has to drive from home in Beds all over the country, including Manchester, Liverpool, Portsmouth, Exeter. The Volt has been great but when out and about she doesn't bother to look for a charger, something that will have to change. She in general doesn't drive for more than 2 hours without stopping.... She is a very keen gardener (she's been on Gardners World with our garden) so the estate would make life easier.....
1. Horses for courses. Nothing wrong with the current 5, aside from its lack of NCAP testing and lack of active safety features, range in the current model is probably better than Leaf+ in real terms.
2. Sounds like a hybrid EV has been perfect for her all those years, have you consulted with her and warned her that she will have to stop on long trips and that it won't be a splash and dash like it is for petrol?
Have you looked in the boot? Its an estate in bodyshape roughly, but a hatch really when you open the boot, no flat loading so no running a wheelbarrow right into it. ;)

·
Registered
MG5 and Chevy Volt
1,272 Posts
Spooky! We swapped our second MY12 Volt for an MG5 a few months ago (we still have our original MY13 Volt).

I'd say go for it. Maybe hang on for the LR version if the range is worrying her, but I can confirm the current version can do a genuine 200 miles, at least in the summer. She will have to get to grips with public charging though.

We have the lower spec 'excite', as the extras you get with the higher spec 'exclusive' didn't seem worth it, to us at least! We don't do huge motorway miles, so all the active tech in the LR would rarely/never get used. Normal 'low tech' cruise control is fine by me!

It cost us under £20k brand new via the affinity deal, which seems pretty easy to get.

Still love our Volt though!

·
Registered
3,509 Posts
Why not use a different charger to get the delayed charging?
I'm guessing with an Ampera the lack of an App doesn't phase you or her at all but once you've had an app to heat or cool the car remotely you soon realise how useful it :)

If you dont need the extra range then waiting a bit longer for a good deal on the SR MG5 is probably the best way. You can get some used Leaf E+ for about £24k now that are not that old and still have a lot of toys on them, biggest change lately has been the Rear view mirror and the Steering wheel adjustment. Also the leaf is a well proven and pretty solid car where as the MG5 is a bit of an unknown and shows signs of a very penny pinching build already, ie lack of mobile comms/app support in our country compared to others.

·
Super Moderator
5,892 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
1. Horses for courses. Nothing wrong with the current 5, aside from its lack of NCAP testing and lack of active safety features, range in the current model is probably better than Leaf+ in real terms.
2. Sounds like a hybrid EV has been perfect for her all those years, have you consulted with her and warned her that she will have to stop on long trips and that it won't be a splash and dash like it is for petrol?
Have you looked in the boot? Its an estate in bodyshape roughly, but a hatch really when you open the boot, no flat loading so no running a wheelbarrow right into it. ;)
She was the one that got in the 5 and started asking questions. She gets charging and when I had the LEAF she stole that every time I turned my back. She pushed the car far closer to zero than ever did and charged it on rapids.

I am not joking when I say she started with the boot, it’s more important than where she could be sitting for a few hours at a stretch. The boot has a very big lip, I was thinking of building a false floor to hide cables etc.

·
Super Moderator
5,892 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
Spooky! We swapped our second MY12 Volt for an MG5 a few months ago (we still have our original MY13 Volt).

I'd say go for it. Maybe hang on for the LR version if the range is worrying her, but I can confirm the current version can do a genuine 200 miles, at least in the summer. She will have to get to grips with public charging though.

We have the lower spec 'excite', as the extras you get with the higher spec 'exclusive' didn't seem worth it, to us at least! We don't do huge motorway miles, so all the active tech in the LR would rarely/never get used. Normal 'low tech' cruise control is fine by me!

It cost us under £20k brand new via the affinity deal, which seems pretty easy to get.

Not having heated seat could be a deal breaker for her, she got grumpy because my van had a heated steering wheel and she hasn’t.

·
Super Moderator
5,892 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
Why not use a different charger to get the delayed charging?
I'm guessing with an Ampera the lack of an App doesn't phase you or her at all but once you've had an app to heat or cool the car remotely you soon realise how useful it :)

If you dont need the extra range then waiting a bit longer for a good deal on the SR MG5 is probably the best way. You can get some used Leaf E+ for about £24k now that are not that old and still have a lot of toys on them, biggest change lately has been the Rear view mirror and the Steering wheel adjustment. Also the leaf is a well proven and pretty solid car where as the MG5 is a bit of an unknown and shows signs of a very penny pinching build already, ie lack of mobile comms/app support in our country compared to others.
We have the Volt and an e-Nv and used to have a LEAF so not having a working app makes no difference as that what we have done for 9 years.
Not sure if a delayed charger won’t upset the car, I know it did with the MG ZS and don’t know if that’s fixed. If it is does that also mean I need the LR for the uprated pro pilot

·
Super Moderator
5,892 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·

BTW what conditions milage was you Volt and how much did you get for it?

·
Registered
MG ZS EV
534 Posts
The MG ZS works with delayed charging but if the charger stops and restarts with more than a few minutes gap the car goes to sleep and stops the charge. It isn’t a problem unless you use an Agile tariff. I like my ZS and I could be tempted to swap my Passat for the MG 5. My wife is also a gardener and fills cars with trees and horse poo. The Passat has been seriously abused. Pity none of them tow!

·
Super Moderator
5,892 Posts
Discussion Starter · #12 ·
The MG ZS works with delayed charging but if the charger stops and restarts with more than a few minutes gap the car goes to sleep and stops the charge. It isn’t a problem unless you use an Agile tariff. I like my ZS and I could be tempted to swap my Passat for the MG 5. My wife is also a gardener and fills cars with trees and horse poo. The Passat has been seriously abused. Pity none of them tow!
I thought that the ZS delayed charging was fix but the 5 runs without pro pilot so does that effect the whole of the software and leave me like the original ZS owners before they updated?

@Miles Roberts

do you know?

·
Registered
LEAF N-TEC 62KW
2,048 Posts
Drove ZS courtesy car whilst my Leaf was at the dealers.
It was okay, but way slower than my E+, the ride was a little stiffer and I did not like the dash display. Interior build quality was not up to the Leaf's.

There are some great deals on E+ N-Connectas and Teknas, with 0% finance until 31st of this month, so don't delay.
I'd forget the Tekna if Propilot is not wanted and also some boot space is taken up by the Bose sub.

There are also a few low mileage N-Tecs about - great spec, like a Connecta with Propilot.

The Leaf's charge timer works perfectly as does the app for remote heating activation.

·
Registered
87 Posts
The Leaf E+ and MG5 seem quite close in most respects.

• ev-database.uk gives detailed range estimates under various conditions but the headline figure is 200 miles for the Leaf E+ vs 180 miles for the current MG5. So, the Leaf wins but not by much. The new MG5LR will probably beat both.
  • The Leaf has more toys, including scheduled charging. It would have a better NCAP rating than the current MG5, if the latter actually had one. The MG5LR will be significantly better than the current MG5 in both these respects.
  • Generally, Nissan is seen as a medium tier manufacturer and the Leaf is probably one of the better cars. MG is viewed as a budget manufacturer although the MG5 is definitely one of their better cars.
  • UK Leafs are made in Sunderland by Nissan, a Japanese multinational company. MGs are made in China by SAIC, a Chinese state-owned company.
  • Both cars are available at decent discounts from list price -- check online brokers for real world prices.
  • Although the MG5 is an estate and the Leaf a hatchback, rated boot size is very similar.
  • Roof load of the current cars is identical at 35kg, but the MG5LR will take a lot more. Some MG5s come with roof rails but no Leafs do.

Personally, I have only seen and driven the Leaf, not the MG5. I liked it and bought one.

Kind regards
- Garry

·
Registered
2,300 Posts
Where are you quoting the Leaf and MG5 luggage capacity? I've got the MG5 pinned at 150l more than the Leaf.

Also worth noting the difference in rapid charging if that bothers you. MG5 is 70kW on CCS, Leaf+ is upto 100kW on Chademo, if you can find one over 50kW.

Personally, I'm leaning on the MG5.

·
Registered
LEAF N-TEC 62KW
2,048 Posts
The Leaf maxes out at about 71kw on a 100kw + charger.

Leaf E+ charging is no different to the MG so I don't understand your "if you can find one over 50kw" comment.
Only the connector is different.

·
Registered
2,300 Posts
The Leaf maxes out at about 71kw on a 100kw + charger.

Leaf E+ charging is no different to the MG so I don't understand your "if you can find one over 50kw" comment.
Only the connector is different.
Chademo chargers over 100kW are rarer, so often the Leaf is limited by the charge speed available. However I just checked ZapMaps again and looks like the updated Gridserve motorway chargers are largely 100kW on Chademo, which addresses the issue.

·
Registered
LEAF N-TEC 62KW
2,048 Posts
Chademo chargers over 100kW are rarer, so often the Leaf is limited by the charge speed available. However I just checked ZapMaps again and looks like the updated Gridserve motorway chargers are largely 100kW on Chademo, which addresses the issue.
Why are mentioning this when the MG is no more capable of 100kw than the Leaf?

Most 100-150kw chargers have both CCS and Chademo connectors and the car determines the charge rate not the charger. The only chargers with a CCS only connector I have come across are 350kw Ionity units.
If Gridserve & Ionity wish to only install CCS only chargers, that is their loss because Leafs outnumber all CCS vehicles and there are an equal number of CCS and chademo charge points.

Things will change over time but if you are trying to sa 'don't buy a Leaf because you will have problems finding a charger' then you are wrong.

Conversely, there are CCS + chademo chargers in Scotland that are only 22.5kw due to power supply limitations.

·
Registered
3,509 Posts

You'll find that the leaf max's out at 71kw roughly as the Chademo cables are not liquid cooled so are the older version and thus limited by the amps they can deliver.
Some are looking at this but the cost is massive compared to common version available and also supply of them as well.

1 - 20 of 55 Posts