Speak EV - Electric Car Forums banner
21 - 40 of 55 Posts

·
Registered
87 Posts
Where are you quoting the Leaf and MG5 luggage capacity? I've got the MG5 pinned at 150l more than the Leaf.

Also worth noting the difference in rapid charging if that bothers you. MG5 is 70kW on CCS, Leaf+ is upto 100kW on Chademo, if you can find one over 50kW.

Personally, I'm leaning on the MG5.
You could go to:
464l: MG MG5 EV
420l: Nissan Leaf e+

Note that the Leaf figure of 420l is with the Bose subwoofer fitted (Tekna trim). Without, it rises to 435l.

I think the confusion comes from MG quoting two figures: one with parcel shelf & one without. Boot size measurements are odd, and manufacturers seem to measure in different ways. I don't entirely trust them. If this is the deal breaker, have a good look at the boot when you view the car & take measurements, as sometimes perceptions are misleading.

Kind regards
- Garry

·
Registered
MG5 and Chevy Volt
1,272 Posts
Not having heated seat could be a deal breaker for her, she got grumpy because my van had a heated steering wheel and she hasn’t.
I was thinking of getting a £15 12v heated seat cover from eBay. Not elegant, but cheaper that £1500 more for a higher spec car!

·
Registered
2,300 Posts
Why are mentioning this when the MG is no more capable of 100kw than the Leaf?

Most 100-150kw chargers have both CCS and Chademo connectors and the car determines the charge rate not the charger. The only chargers with a CCS only connector I have come across are 350kw Ionity units.
If Gridserve & Ionity wish to only install CCS only chargers, that is their loss because Leafs outnumber all CCS vehicles and there are an equal number of CCS and chademo charge points.

Things will change over time but if you are trying to sa 'don't buy a Leaf because you will have problems finding a charger' then you are wrong.

Conversely, there are CCS + chademo chargers in Scotland that are only 22.5kw due to power supply limitations.
Simply because at a point in time 100kW Chademo chargers were rare. 100kW CCS have been common for quite some time now.

Infact, if you look at Wales, North of England and Scotland, the availability of 100kW capable Chademo chargers is single figures. It appears only Gridserve Electric Highway are installing these 100kW Chademo chargers.

What I'm saying is consider buy a MG5 if you want to reliably charge over 50kW.

·
Registered
2,300 Posts
You could go to:
464l: MG MG5 EV
420l: Nissan Leaf e+

Note that the Leaf figure of 420l is with the Bose subwoofer fitted (Tekna trim). Without, it rises to 435l.

I think the confusion comes from MG quoting two figures: one with parcel shelf & one without. Boot size measurements are odd, and manufacturers seem to measure in different ways. I don't entirely trust them. If this is the deal breaker, have a good look at the boot when you view the car & take measurements, as sometimes perceptions are misleading.

Kind regards
- Garry
Agreed. I was looking at the 587l capacity.

As an Ampera owner I don't even know what a luggage shelf is...

·
Registered
LEAF N-TEC 62KW
2,050 Posts
Simply because at a point in time 100kW Chademo chargers were rare. 100kW CCS have been common for quite some time now.

Infact, if you look at Wales, North of England and Scotland, the availability of 100kW capable Chademo chargers is single figures. It appears only Gridserve Electric Highway are installing these 100kW Chademo chargers.

What I'm saying is consider buy a MG5 if you want to reliably charge over 50kW.
BP Pulse are also installing 150kw CCS/chademo chargers and CPS chargers at Wallyford near Edinburgh are also 150kw.

·
Registered
MG5 and Chevy Volt
1,272 Posts
We owned a 24kWh Leaf for five years prior to the MG (with a Volt in between). I would say they are generally comparable. Though the MG has a liquid cooled battery, which I understand is also LFP chemistry. This should lead to less degradation over time compared to the Leaf's air-cooled NCA battery.

·
Registered
MG5 and Chevy Volt
1,272 Posts
I thought that the ZS delayed charging was fix but the 5 runs without pro pilot so does that effect the whole of the software and leave me like the original ZS owners before they updated?

@Miles Roberts

do you know?
MG5 has no delayed charging issues that I'm aware of. Our car hasn't been back to the dealer since we bought it, and charges fine using our Zappi's scheduling (we are on Octopus GO).

·
Registered
87 Posts
For instance
Agreed. I was looking at the 587l capacity.

As an Ampera owner I don't even know what a luggage shelf is...
Oh, is it saloon? Far less spec wriggle room for manufacturers to explore, then. (Although at least one popular EV's boot measurement seems to include space under the boot floor, which is just cheeky if you ask me.)

I will try to describe...
The Leaf's boot is fairly big for a family hatchback. Unusually deep (the parcel shelf a long way up from the boot floor), fairly long. Width is not so impressive, with the wheel arches taking a fair bite. If you fold the back seats down, it isn't flat, due to the battery being partly under the back seats. It isn't an estate, by any stretch, although perhaps getting close to the space in some compact estates. It's a significant step down from the space in my current Ceed Estate or an Octavia, and a significant step up from the space you get in a Focus or Golf hatchback.

But, like I say, the best thing is to find one & use a tape measure.

Kind regards
- Garry

·
Registered
VW eGolf
332 Posts
If Gridserve & Ionity wish to only install CCS only chargers, that is their loss because Leafs outnumber all CCS vehicles
Maybe a few years ago.

Nissan only passed 40k Leafs sold in the UK in November 2020 (it's tailed off in recent years). There were over 108k new EVs sold in the UK in 2020, and nearly 74k in the first half of 2021 - vast majority of which are CCS. Nissan sell fewer than 5k Leafs a year. Everyone but Nissan (and the weird Lexus, and oddities like the Smarts) are on CCS now.

·
Registered
Renault Zoe ZE50 GT-Line Rapid Charge
3,397 Posts
Maybe a few years ago.

Nissan only passed 40k Leafs sold in the UK in November 2020 (it's tailed off in recent years). There were over 108k new EVs sold in the UK in 2020, and nearly 74k in the first half of 2021 - vast majority of which are CCS. Nissan sell fewer than 5k Leafs a year. Everyone but Nissan (and the weird Lexus, and oddities like the Smarts) are on CCS now.
Nissan will switch to CCS in EU & UK with their new Ariya crossover, due later this year.

·
Registered
MG ZS EV
534 Posts
I thought that the ZS delayed charging was fix but the 5 runs without pro pilot so does that effect the whole of the software and leave me like the original ZS owners before they updated?

@Miles Roberts

do you know?
It has been fixed but only to a point. It will charge after a delayed start but only once. Hence if you have an agile tariff that wobbles over the price set, it won’t charge once the price drops again. It isn’t generally a problem but if DNOs start switching cars off and on mid charge as is likely to be required in the future, the MG won’t play ball. Given Agile tariffs are more expensive than 4 or 5 hour EV tariffs at the moment it is no longer a concern.

Note the MGs have a much more sophisticated battery, warming and cooling systems. I have not heard of anyone on these groups suffering any battery degradation, even the 70k mile taxi drivers who report a little wear and tear to door seals after such a mileage!

·
Registered
87 Posts
Note the MGs have a much more sophisticated battery, warming and cooling systems. I have not heard of anyone on these groups suffering any battery degradation, even the 70k mile taxi drivers who report a little wear and tear to door seals after such a mileage!
Early days to write the book on MG battery reliability -- their first EV, the ZS EV, went on sale in the UK less than two years ago.

People have had ten years to look at Leafs. It isn't clear exactly how well the experience with the original 24kWh battery will map to the latest 62kWh models. These also went on sale about the same time ago as the first MG EVs. Some owners fuss about the SOH on LeafSpy. I'm not sure anyone has lost a bar yet. (They sold so many, there must be someone, perhaps in Arizona, which is a bad place for passively cooled batteries, but I haven't heard of it myself.)

Kind regards
- Garry

·
Registered
LEAF N-TEC 62KW
2,050 Posts
Early days to write the book on MG battery reliability -- their first EV, the ZS EV, went on sale in the UK less than two years ago.

People have had ten years to look at Leafs. It isn't clear exactly how well the experience with the original 24kWh battery will map to the latest 62kWh models. These also went on sale about the same time ago as the first MG EVs. Some owners fuss about the SOH on LeafSpy. I'm not sure anyone has lost a bar yet. (They sold so many, there must be someone, perhaps in Arizona, which is a bad place for passively cooled batteries, but I haven't heard of it myself.)

Kind regards
- Garry
The 62kwh Leaf battery uses different technology to the other Leaf batteries, but how does this compare to the MGs?

·
Registered
NISSAN LEAF 62Kwh
1,666 Posts
The power of the LEAF+ is 160Kw (215hp) which makes the driving experience very refined comparable with the Polestar2 Standard Range in the power stakes. (which costs £40K)

The power of the MG5 is 115Kw (154hp) which makes it a good work horse but lacks the refinement of the LEAF+

To me it's a straight choice, MG5 - competent workhorse - Versus the LEAF + Refined EV.

21 - 40 of 55 Posts