Speak EV - Electric Car Forums banner
1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Registered
142 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I want to share my experience yesterday after I charged my MG5 on rapid charger.
After 40min on charge (50-94%) I disconnected the car and wanted to head home but for my surprised the car had different opinion. Showing multiple faults (see the pics) on the dash and when I tried to go forward or reverse the hand break won’t release so i was stuck on the charger (i know my colleague has the same problem as well). I called AA/MG assistant and explain the situation (im on charger and the time to be there is limited) they place the call as priority and turned up 1h 20 min later .
The guy connected his laptop but was no communication between the car and the software so no much of a help ( the mechanic did his best to help but was out of his hand). The good thing was the hand break released some how and i was able to move . The mechanic advised me to go straight to the dealership so can be checked as his software couldn’t read the faults. Shortly after i drove my car around the car park all the faults disappeared but still we didn’t know why and have been stored in the car PCU.
Now begun the drama with dealers as week ago my car was serviced in Glyn Hopkin Cambridge i called them the call went to their head office the person was very helpful but couldn’t speak to Cambridge branch as seems they were too busy and told me to go there and see what they can do. In mean time called MG head office to check what they will advise me, well they told me call the local dealerships to see which one can do it that’s all from them. Arrived at Cambridge without problems the dealer was really busy they could check the car but next week and didn’t have a courtesy car to provide ( apparently they don’t need to), called AA as the mechanic told me they can provide one but because they didn’t recovered the car i drove it myself to the dealer they can’t do it so i was stuck again.
I followed the advice given by the MG head office and luckily there is another MG dealer in Cambridge (Buckingham and Stanley group) and they arranged appointment to check the car today at 14.00 to see what’s wrong with it.
Im very disappointed by MG as their customer i felt left out was no help at all.
So driving car under warranty paying my monthly payment as good customer i should get same in return but they couldn’t care less ( I understand they are busy) i was left on the mercy of the dealers.
I have a question as well : who supposed to provide courtesy car in this case as the car is under warranty and is fault with the car ? ( apparently MG head office said is up to dealer to provide it, but not compulsory)

Attachments

·
Premium Member
2014 Model S
8,110 Posts
Repairs shouldn't cause significant inconvenience. If they are a dealer they'll have a forecourt full of cars so it's difficult for them to argue they cannot supply a loaner of any kind.

Ideally the car needs to go back to the supplying dealer as they are the ones you had a contract with. The finance company are also jointly liable so complaining to them that you are paying for a car you can't use and they've financed might help put pressure on the supplying dealer to come up with a loan car.

·
Registered
437 Posts
It looks like you had a temporary glitch caused by an error in communication between the car and the charger. The common advice in this situation is to disconnect the negative terminal from the 12v battery for a few minutes and then try again. As the car was clearly working again without fault, it's highly unlikely that the dealer would even be able to find the fault, let alone fix it.

I don't doubt that there is a charging software issue with the MG5. It definitely doesn't behave correctly when AC charging so it doesn't surprise me that there is an issue with DC charging as well. I suspect that there are certain chargers which can trigger this type of fault while others wouldn't. Anecdotally it seems to occur when trying to ramp down the current at a high state of charge. Most people won't ever be wasting their time charging above 90% on a rapid charger so probably won't encounter the problem.

I really wouldn't worry about it, unless there is any ongoing evidence of a problem.

Out of interest, which charger were you using?

·
Zoe Devotee
9,171 Posts
This looked very much like the low 12v issue as exhibited by some ZS owners when they've had the car switched on to ACC1 (orange light on the start button). And yet I can see your 12v is saying 14+V which suggests the car is currently topping up. So perhaps the 12v was low, but not so low as to start car but low enough to trip all the errors?

I've not heard of any 5 owners having to do the 12v terminal trick to clear errors, good to know its no different for them, I can pass on that advice if I meet any with issues. (y)

Dealers are under no obligation to give you a courtesy car. And giving you a random car off their forecourt? Who's going to pay for the insurance on that?

·
Registered
142 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
It looks like you had a temporary glitch caused by an error in communication between the car and the charger. The common advice in this situation is to disconnect the negative terminal from the 12v battery for a few minutes and then try again. As the car was clearly working again without fault, it's highly unlikely that the dealer would even be able to find the fault, let alone fix it.

I don't doubt that there is a charging software issue with the MG5. It definitely doesn't behave correctly when AC charging so it doesn't surprise me that there is an issue with DC charging as well. I suspect that there are certain chargers which can trigger this type of fault while others wouldn't. Anecdotally it seems to occur when trying to ramp down the current at a high state of charge. Most people won't ever be wasting their time charging above 90% on a rapid charger so probably won't encounter the problem.

I really wouldn't worry about it, unless there is any ongoing evidence of a problem.

Out of interest, which charger were you using?
So you are right the car was checked today by MG dealer no faults stored in the car all good to go, probably was the charger.
Was ecotricity charger at Bircharger service near Stansted on M11.
I did disconnect the 12v battery as this happened to one of my colleagues and that’s how he sorted it but didn’t work for me

·
Registered
437 Posts
So you are right the car was checked today by MG dealer no faults stored in the car all good to go, probably was the charger.
Was ecotricity charger at Bircharger service near Stansted on M11.
I did disconnect the 12v battery as this happened to one of my colleagues and that’s how he sorted it but didn’t work for me
Those Ecotricity pumps are quite old now and many people have issues with them on the CCS side. I have used the ChaDemo at Birchanger lots of times, but so far not needed to use the CCS. Maybe I'll gove them a wide berth until they're replaced.

1 - 6 of 6 Posts