Speak EV - Electric Car Forums banner
1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
Registered
Kona64
1,865 Posts
Discussion Starter · #2 ·
So I clicked the SMMT link but still not helpful
it confirms to them that MHEV is indeed mild, but surely it's wrong ( a la selfcharging) to describe a HEV as such, which implies it is an EV-able vehicle.
500yds around the Sainsbury's car park is not EVable in my book.

Why not FHEV Diesel FHEVPetrol and lump 'em up by the other 2.

·
Registered
2,101 Posts
MHEV usually means mild hybrid. Basically a 48v battery that doesn't drive the car at all, but rather works instead of an alternator to power things like your AC compressor on battery power recovered by braking rather than pulling engine power.

HEV is your basic hybrid system. The likes of your basic Prius. Very small battery paired with a motor that can drive you along on just electricity but generally only for 1-3 miles.

·
Registered
Renault Zoe 50
23,566 Posts
MHEV usually means mild hybrid. Basically a 48v battery that doesn't drive the car at all, but rather works instead of an alternator to power things like your AC compressor on battery power recovered by braking rather than pulling engine power.
Also, they have stop/start functionality to reduce emissions at lights, during traffic jams.

Really a way of making the ICE more efficient and improving their emissions score.

·
Registered
GOLF GTE PHEV
3,851 Posts
My previous EV was a HEV - a 2013 Honda CRZ with a small 140v Li-on battery and 15bhp electric motor mated to the 1.5iVtec 120bhp engine.
It only used the motor to assist the petrol engine so not possible to run as a BEV at all.

It worked well, with great performance from zero mph and upto about 50mph on full throttle then the Lion battery was exhausted. Of course with a small battery, it charged up quickly.

·
Registered
653 Posts
it confirms to them that MHEV is indeed mild, but surely it's wrong ( a la selfcharging) to describe a HEV as such, which implies it is an EV-able vehicle.
If 'mild' hybrids were treated and reported as what they are, slightly more efficient petrol and diesels, included in the petrol and diesel figures, then it wouldn't look as good for the car manufacturers who fund the SMMT.

By putting them into a separate row, it looks better because their sales are growing, and being mildly hybrid and electric, the fleet must be getting cleaner. Look at what progress the car manufacturers are making, all these new mild hybrids they are selling! The action they are taking!

The SMMT is a car manufacturer's lobbying group, they want to tell a good news story.

·
Registered
21 Posts
500yds around the Sainsbury's car park is not EVable in my book.

Why not FHEV Diesel FHEVPetrol and lump 'em up by the other 2.
By that measure any car is a hybrid, because you can drive it around on the ordinary electric starter motor for a short distance, not that it's sensible or that you'd want to..

·
Registered
Renault Zoe 50
23,566 Posts
By that measure any car is a hybrid, because you can drive it around on the ordinary electric starter motor for a short distance, not that it's sensible or that you'd want to..
Technically my new Defender is an MHEV. But I don’t know if that just means it has two 12 volt batteries?

I can’t imagine it gets very far on the starter motor alone. It gives me a battery low warning if I listen to the radio with the engine off!

1 - 9 of 9 Posts