Speak EV - Electric Car Forums banner

1 - 4 of 4 Posts

·
Registered
78 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I've been reading about the issues with the Tesla LFP batteries, I thought it was just social media chatter. But this article from Germany I was reading this morning seems to indicate the range is halved in winter and charge speeds are significantly depleted. It also indicates a lot of pre-heating is done to make the battery workable which also reduces the overall consumption of the car, pre heating is done even when you are home charging.
The other take away it suggests is new owners are really beta testing for Tesla. When asked CATL took 9 months to get the battery in service, whereas the industry standard is around two years of testing before installation.

The three positives the author believes the battery will outlive the car, which is significant and the author also believes Tesla will drop software changes to the BMS to resolve it. He also comments the fit and finish on the MIC cars are really good.

Is anyone with one of these vehicles able to confirm or deny this report?
If this is really true would you still buy one? I think the MIC LR has the original Panasonic cells?
SR+ German LFP test results

·
Registered
1,202 Posts
Interesting report and, hopeful, helpful data. I've seen your posts in the other MIC thread from last month. I too have misgivings about pressing the trigger on the MIC SR+. Think am either going to wait a bit longer for a LR with the NCA battery and better build quality.

It looks like Bjorn Nyland is going to have an SR+ for a while now he's selling his LR P and waiting for the Model S Plaid + to arrive. I'm hoping he can also do some extensive tests which may help to nail down what the car and can't do; that is if the new SR+ he's getting is a MIC one.

Reactions: ratbert

·
Registered
349 Posts
I've been reading about the issues with the Tesla LFP batteries, I thought it was just social media chatter. But this article from Germany I was reading this morning seems to indicate the range is halved in winter and charge speeds are significantly depleted. It also indicates a lot of pre-heating is done to make the battery workable which also reduces the overall consumption of the car, pre heating is done even when you are home charging.
The other take away it suggests is new owners are really beta testing for Tesla. When asked CATL took 9 months to get the battery in service, whereas the industry standard is around two years of testing before installation.

The three positives the author believes the battery will outlive the car, which is significant and the author also believes Tesla will drop software changes to the BMS to resolve it. He also comments the fit and finish on the MIC cars are really good.

Is anyone with one of these vehicles able to confirm or deny this report?
If this is really true would you still buy one? I think the MIC LR has the original Panasonic cells?
SR+ German LFP test results
I'm going to wait and see for now. Not in any rush for a model 3 so will wait for some more reports on the LFP battery first.

1 - 4 of 4 Posts