Speak EV - Electric Car Forums banner

1 - 20 of 28 Posts

·
Registered
305 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Has anyone here got these tyres? I'm looking for a good all arounder that works well in summer and okay in winter. I'm particularly interested to know how they perform in summer. There's lots of reviews online, they are mixed, people talk more about their winter performance.

This looks like the best available. They are marketed as a summer tyre that can be used mild winters, which we have in the UK.

There's also the Bridgestone weather control a005 but they look like they are more of a winter tyre.

I don't want to be swapping wheels, I don't think it's worth in England unless you absolutely have to drive, which I don't, if heavy snow or very cold temperatures are forecast, I either don't go out or just stick to the main roads in the city that are salted and used.

·
Registered
90 Posts
I have used them for a year now albeit with a PHEV. I find them very good and would buy again. I have found the tyres to have short braking distances in the wet and dry. The PHEV is a heavy car. Road noise is minimal and considerably better than the factory fitted ones that went before. Wear is fine so far and I have had good traction on snowy roads, with car getting me in and out of a hilly village in reasonably heavy snow. The car does have AWD which helps a bit too

·
Registered
920 Posts
I've had them on Ampera for 15,000 miles by now.

They're great. Efficiency dropped a little compared to the warn tyres that they replaced, but since wearing-in I think their efficiency has improved.

Decent in snow but take your time. Great in wet weather, don't even flinch in standing water on motorway. Decent in dry but I don't push them hard in corners.

They are quiet, but do emit a higher pitched road noise than you'd normally expect from the turbine.

Great tyres, worth the premium I paid for them.

·
Registered
5,707 Posts
The cross climates are snow marked so they should be reasonable in snow. I've had a set on for a couple of weeks. Loads better than EV tyres. Efficiency is probably less but I hoon more so that may be why...

·
Registered
570 Posts
We've had the Crossclimate Plus on our Volvo V70 and our Leaf24.

Perhaps all that I need to say is when our Lexus GS450h or our Tesla 3 need new tyres then they too will get the Crossclimates.

The crossclimate are really quiet. The euro dB figure doesn't tell the whole story, because the noise spectrum is biased toward higher frequencies than most tyres - noise that is more easily isolated from the cabin. The spectrum is more white noise than pink noise.

Summer grip levels are fine, but almost all tyres are. It has excellent resistance to aquaplaning and wet traction is superb (and our Volvo had 470Nm through the front wheels, so it was notable...) .

Snow performance is ok. I'm sure it's not as good as a full on snow tyre, but then again UK winter isn't full on snow either.

Main downside - they had a noticeable effect on the Leaf range (but I didn't quantify that effect). It was especially so in the wet, where the amount of water that they would shift took a lot of energy.

Didn't get to the point of needing replacing or anywhere close on either car, but they have an excellent reputation for longevity, and they interestingly maintain their wet and snow performance even when worn to 2mm.

I'll definitely buy them again.

·
Registered
5,707 Posts
With the cross climates on I have noticed regen might be less. Has anyone compared their percentages before and after?

·
Registered
1,616 Posts
Summer grip levels are fine, but almost all tyres are.
Yup. Compared to spring and autumn the increase in winter grip of a cold weather tyre is far more than the corresponding loss in summer. I've run winter tyres all year before and would/will do so again if I ever wear a set of factory rubber out.

·
Registered
305 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
Thanks guys. I think I'm going to go for them, it's either that or I put Michelin Pilot Sport 4 back on and don't use the car so much in the winter.

My only concerns is the performance in the summer, it's a Tesla Model 3, I like to push the car.

I don't know if the range would be any different with both tyres.

·
Registered
205 Posts
Hi Rob, I've just put a set on my e-Golf, having had them on my Leaf24 and on our Soul EV. Now the e-Golf isn't a Model 3, but drives much more dynamically if pushed than my other two EVs. After having traction issues from day 2 with the factory fitted Bridgestone eco tyres I had them replaced after 750 miles, they were rubbish pulling away in standing water (I'm talking a small puddle) so much that I nearly had an accident entering a roundabout when I was looking for EV torque and didn't get it from both of the fronts. Since having the CC's on for over a week I've been much more ambitious about pushing the car into corners on twisty roads (and pulling away from junctions in puddles).

It is crap that you loose out on selling tyres that came as standard (and so soon after purchase) but I look at it this way. I paid £318 for mine fitted at Kwik Fit (10% off Michelin tyres). I sold the Bridgestones on eBay for £84, and I got £10 cashback via Top Cashback and an Echo Show 5, that lets say I can sell for £50, so all in my new, safter (and more fun) tyres have cost me £174 or £47.50 per wheel. Now this is for 16" so the Tesla maths will be different depending on the size of your rims.

·
Registered
478 Posts
Cross Climates are amongst a small number of All Season tyres that have the snowcapped mountain logo on them, meaning they’re also fully Winter rated too. This means they’re as good as full Winter tyres below 8 degrees (normal communing time temps this time of year!) and truly astonishing in ice, slush and snow.
Normal All Seasons are a bit rubbish by comparison and are no longer legal to use in Winter conditions in EU countries such as Germany.

Only draw back of the Cross Climates is price - Around £140 for a 17” tyre.

I’ve just had BF Goodrich G-Grip All Season 2 tyres fitted which are also fully Winter rated and review as well as the Cross Climates - £82 a tyre!

I’m usually on the road by 0630 most mornings and they’ve already proven to be excellent.

·
Registered
920 Posts
Cross Climates are amongst a small number of All Season tyres that have the snowcapped mountain logo on them, meaning they’re also fully Winter rated too. This means they’re as good as full Winter tyres below 8 degrees (normal communing time temps this time of year!) and truly astonishing in ice, slush and snow.
That's absolutely not true, and it's not fair to state such things as facts to someone looking to buy them.

CrossClimates meet the minimum standards required to be labelled as a winter tyre, that does not mean they are as good as winter tyres on the market.

·
Registered
478 Posts
That's absolutely not true, and it's not fair to state such things as facts to someone looking to buy them.

CrossClimates meet the minimum standards required to be labelled as a winter tyre, that does not mean they are as good as winter tyres on the market.

Minimum standards for Winter tyres are a bloody sight higher than they are for non Winter All Seasons and are on a level with most non All-Season Winter tyres
The Autobild test is one of many. ADAC Wintereifentest is another and there are plenty of others all with differing results. Then there are user tests.

My post is an accurate reflection of their abilities. You can choose not to agree but presenting your own opinion as fact isn’t helpful.

·
Registered
920 Posts
Minimum standards for Winter tyres are a bloody sight higher than they are for non Winter All Seasons and are on a level with most non All-Season Winter tyres
The Autobild test is one of many. ADAC Wintereifentest is another and there are plenty of others all with differing results. Then there are user tests.

My post is an accurate reflection of their abilities. You can choose not to agree but presenting your own opinion as fact isn’t helpful.
I presented quantifiable data, not an opinion on the CrossClimate's performance.

They're not as good as winter tyres, and the data shows it.

That said, I use them on my car because they (in my opinion) off he best solution for an all season tyre.

·
Registered
478 Posts
I presented quantifiable data, not an opinion on the CrossClimate's performance.

They're not as good as winter tyres, and the data shows it.

That said, I use them on my car because they (in my opinion) off he best solution for an all season tyre.
🙄

·
Registered
305 Posts
Discussion Starter #16
Normal All Seasons are a bit rubbish by comparison and are no longer legal to use in Winter conditions in EU countries such as Germany.

Only draw back of the Cross Climates is price - Around £140 for a 17” tyre.

I’ve just had BF Goodrich G-Grip All Season 2 tyres fitted which are also fully Winter rated and review as well as the Cross Climates - £82 a tyre!

I’m usually on the road by 0630 most mornings and they’ve already proven to be excellent.
The info on the Michelin website markets them as a summer tyre that also has reasonable performance. If it was a good as a winter tyre, they wouldn't need to sell winter tyres as well.

I don't think that £150 per tyre is expensive, given that for most people, tyres will last several years. The only problem with expensive tyres is when you get punctures that can't be repaired, then you're wasting money.

·
Registered
478 Posts
The info on the Michelin website markets them as a summer tyre that also has reasonable performance. If it was a good as a winter tyre, they wouldn't need to sell winter tyres as well.

I don't think that £150 per tyre is expensive, given that for most people, tyres will last several years. The only problem with expensive tyres is when you get punctures that can't be repaired, then you're wasting money.
Hence I spent £82 on a tyre which is as good as the Michelin.

Having lived there for many years, if they’re good enough to be legal in Germany in the Winter, spending any more is probably a waste.

·
Registered
305 Posts
Discussion Starter #18
Hi Rob, I've just put a set on my e-Golf, having had them on my Leaf24 and on our Soul EV. Now the e-Golf isn't a Model 3, but drives much more dynamically if pushed than my other two EVs. After having traction issues from day 2 with the factory fitted Bridgestone eco tyres I had them replaced after 750 miles, they were rubbish pulling away in standing water (I'm talking a small puddle) so much that I nearly had an accident entering a roundabout when I was looking for EV torque and didn't get it from both of the fronts. Since having the CC's on for over a week I've been much more ambitious about pushing the car into corners on twisty roads (and pulling away from junctions in puddles).

It is crap that you loose out on selling tyres that came as standard (and so soon after purchase) but I look at it this way. I paid £318 for mine fitted at Kwik Fit (10% off Michelin tyres). I sold the Bridgestones on eBay for £84, and I got £10 cashback via Top Cashback and an Echo Show 5, that lets say I can sell for £50, so all in my new, safter (and more fun) tyres have cost me £174 or £47.50 per wheel. Now this is for 16" so the Tesla maths will be different depending on the size of your rims.
I have a similar issue on my Leaf 40, the tyres it came with a poor in anything but dry conditions. At first I thought it was instant torque from the car but after a while I realised it's the crappy tyres.

Have you pushed your golf in the dry with the crossclimates on?

·
Registered
205 Posts
I have a similar issue on my Leaf 40, the tyres it came with a poor in anything but dry conditions. At first I thought it was instant torque from the car but after a while I realised it's the crappy tyres.

Have you pushed your golf in the dry with the crossclimates on?
Yeah, they feel very similar to the Bridgestones in the dry, they don't get loose in twisty corners, maybe a touch less grippy, but I'll forgive that for the reasurance of traction in the wet :) . I would expect you'll notice more of a difference in a M3 due to the 4x increased HP and torque above the e-Golf. If you have a rear wheel drive model mind you, come snow and ice time, cross climates everytime!

·
Speak, Eevee!
1,094 Posts
I've had them on my Zoe for 3-4 months, I'm no "tyre connoisseur" and just thought I might as well pay a bit extra for the bit of rubber that separates my car from the ground, but it seems to handle being chucked into corners and around roundabouts nicely.

No noticeable difference in range.

Agree with the puncture comment. I had a screw in one of mine after 8 weeks. Couldn't be repaired (or the tyre guy saw me coming with 4 new Michelins and thought I had money, which I don't - hard to say) so £112 went down the drain.

1 - 20 of 28 Posts