Speak EV - Electric Car Forums banner

21 - 28 of 28 Posts

·
Registered
8,979 Posts
I had them on my eGolf -- instantly more grippy and less floaty than the Conti Eco tyres that came as standard, I also noticed that road noise was reduced. I would have chosen them for my Tesla instead of investing a separate winter wheel set (with Goodyear Ultragrip Performance+) if I hadn't wanted to gain the advantages of the Michelin Pilot Sport tyres for the summer.

·
Registered
39 Posts
Anyone thoughts on sticking with oem summers and then four snow socks by Michelin for occasional snow. Getting up hills, off drive etc before grit kicks in? Cost about 200.

I have run winters in one car and summers on another, year round. But if I get a P2 I’d quite like to save the expense of a new set of tyres from the start.

·
Registered
299 Posts
Discussion Starter #23
Anyone thoughts on sticking with oem summers and then four snow socks by Michelin for occasional snow. Getting up hills, off drive etc before grit kicks in? Cost about 200.

I have run winters in one car and summers on another, year round. But if I get a P2 I’d quite like to save the expense of a new set of tyres from the start.
My concern with using summer tyres all year around is the grip in the lower temperatures, when the ground goes below 8 degrees, the rubber on the summer tyres start to loose traction. All seasons and winter tyres are not just for snow.
If you're doing most of your driving around the city, under 50mph and avoiding driving when it snows then most people are fine on summer tyres.

People sell second hand tyres on eBay, you can always do that to recoup the cost of a new set of good all seasons.

·
Registered
3,021 Posts
I've been running Nokian WR-D4 winters on my Amp for the last 3 winters, and the improvement in grip over the Michelin eco summers when the temp is down around 5C is quite astonishing. You don't have to be in snow to get the benefit from winters! And when we did have a really good load of snow briefly last winter, it felt as if I was driving on a wet road in summer, as opposed to trying to skate!

The apparent extra cost isn't actually that much if you plan to keep the car for enough years/miles to get decent usage out of them, after all, you're not wearing out the summers so quickly! So really you're just paying the capital cost of a set of rims, + interest on the cost of buying the winters.

·
Registered
5,686 Posts
The biggest risk of grippy winter/all season tyres is being rear ended by someone that isn't using them when it's slippy out.

·
Registered
355 Posts
I am late to this discussion but see Auto Express has just tested All-season tyres. The top three are as follows:
1st Goodyear Vector 4seasons gen-2
2nd Continental All season contact
3rd Michelin CrossClimate+
They were tested on a Golf and you would need to read the full test results to see how they arrived at their ranking.
I have used winter tyres for a number of years and so found this article interesting.

·
Registered
44 Posts
Used CC+ and Goodyear Ultra Grip 8 in the Alps over 2 winters on the same car. CC+ just fine, pulled out of deep snow better than UG8, same car park, same place, and also quieter than UG8.

·
Registered
241 Posts
I used (standard fit) Dunlop Sportmaxx RT's all last winter without issue. They are really excellent in the rain, which is the majority of our bad weather. Never felt any loss of grip in cold weather, even down below freezing.
Even in light snow, they performed fine. I never found myself struggling for traction or feeling nervous.

They are classed as a summer tyre but seem to do well all year round. I now have the RT2 on all 4 wheels as a replacement, feel just as good in the wet.

Reasonably priced, excellent in all weather, lasted 15,000 miles on a heavy PHEV, huge rim protector and very very quiet for a higher performing tyre.
Really recommend them.

On a Golf GTE with 225/45 17" wheels for reference.

21 - 28 of 28 Posts