Speak EV - Electric Car Forums banner

1 - 20 of 68 Posts

·
Registered
45 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Contrary to the impression given by Zap-Map, mid-Essex is currently woefully under-catered for in terms of charge points, particularly on a Sunday.
SafariScreenSnapz021.png
The one in Braintree charges you a rip-off £5 a time, the one in Witham is out of action and has been for ages and of the five in Chelmsford, three are in Park and Ride car parks that are locked on Sunday, one is at Anglia Ruskin University with restricted access and the other is apparently at some engineering firm, also with restricted access.

Yesterday, I had to resort to charging at my cousin's in Chelmsford, arriving with 4% left. Luckily, he was in, otherwise it would have been flatbed time.

Also, allegedly, you're only allowed to use the Park and Ride chargers if you're getting on the bus, which is pretty short-sighted (and probably rather difficult to enforce).

·
Ecohound
1,291 Posts
[QUOTE="Dez, post:
Also, allegedly, you're only allowed to use the Park and Ride chargers if you're getting on the bus, which is pretty short-sighted (and probably rather difficult to enforce).[/QUOTE]
It is difficult to enforce I charge my Leaf at Sandon Park and ride then cycle on my Brompton to work when I am on lates. I always use the 13A so if someone wants a quicker charge it's available. However 1 post is not enough.
Colchester has a CYC charger £5 although the Nissan dealer is free and very good. No charging in any car parks though. Essex is generally as bad as the rest of East Anglia.

·
Registered
590 Posts
Agreed, we tend to use the one at the Moto services in Thurrock and when we have ventured to North Essex, have had to drive across to the M11 to use the one at the Stansted services.
Tomorrow, I have to drive from Thundersley to Thurrock and then to Rivenhall, The journey to Thurrock will not be enough to justify a trip to the fast charger, but I will only just make it back home after picking my wife up from work in Benfleet unless I drive at stupidly low speeds.
There are some chargers in Southend but they are all 7kw max and the one at the Toomey Nissan dealer is also a slow one, although not as slow as the Toomey Basildon one. We had a Zoe for a while and it would draw 22kw from the Southend one and only 7 from Basildon. No difference for us Leaf owners.
You're welcome to charge at my home if stuck, I'm near Rayleigh Weir.

·
Registered
45 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
It is difficult to enforce I charge my Leaf at Sandon Park and ride then cycle on my Brompton to work when I am on lates. I always use the 13A so if someone wants a quicker charge it's available. However 1 post is not enough.
Colchester has a CYC charger £5 although the Nissan dealer is free and very good. No charging in any car parks though. Essex is generally as bad as the rest of East Anglia.
Yes, I've used the Glyn Hopkin charger quite a bit. It's a real shame it's moved out of the unrestricted car park. I really hope they put it back (or better, install a second one - probably asking too much) when they finish building the new showroom. It was no help to me on Sunday though because it was both too far away and the wrong way for Southend.
Funnily enough, Southend is pretty well catered for on the 7kW front, which is surprising because Southend Council is notoriously short-sighted in almost every other respect. I see a reasonable number of LEAFs around Southend - I'm pretty sure we have more than our fair share - and I saw a Zoe yesterday evening.

·
Ecohound
1,291 Posts
I used a Southend charger the other week which goes to show if you install them visitors will come. Most councils think you need to install chargers for the EV's in their area but they are wrong it's to encourage visitors to use pollution free transport. If every council does their bit then residents will buy EV's because they will be free to travel to work or for leasure.
But how many councillors or council staff have an EV or access to an EV.

·
Registered
590 Posts
Bum!
I would have made it today.

It was going so well but it highlighted that we desperately need that Rapid at Rivenhall.
I drove to work and then to my meeting in Rivenhall, then back home, dropped my daughter at gymnastics, picked my wife up, came home, then got a call from my middle daughter to pick her up from the stables, 11 miles on the range guesser and an 8 mile round trip up and down a few hills. Got home with --% on the battery indicator for the last 2 miles. Not bad, as it was 83.3 miles at this point of mostly 65mph and a bit of rain.

I left it to charge for about 90 minutes as I then had to pick my youngest up from gymnastics, a 16 mile round trip. There was 16 miles on the range guesser, but as it was raining, I decided not to risk it and took the ICE.

This was the first ICE drive I have had since getting the Leaf on the 1st September. It was bloody horrible!

·
Registered
321 Posts
Bum!

I left it to charge for about 90 minutes as I then had to pick my youngest up from gymnastics, a 16 mile round trip. There was 16 miles on the range guesser, but as it was raining, I decided not to risk it and took the ICE.

This was the first ICE drive I have had since getting the Leaf on the 1st September. It was bloody horrible!
Interesting... How do you find the range meter on the Leaf? The one on the Zoe generally I find to be very pessimistic. Either that or it is my superb EV driving! Lol (modestly)

·
Registered
590 Posts
Interesting... How do you find the range meter on the Leaf? The one on the Zoe generally I find to be very pessimistic. Either that or it is my superb EV driving! Lol (modestly)
Very pessimistic, We had a Zoe for about four weeks and they are very comparable.

·
Registered
321 Posts
Contrary to the impression given by Zap-Map, mid-Essex is currently woefully under-catered for in terms of charge points, particularly on a Sunday.
Oh... that's disappointing... I had hoped to take a run up to Clacton at some point along the A12.... I had heard a rumour that charging points are being installed at the new Asda being built up there.... Also, aren't Ecotricity putting points in along the A12? Not sure what rapids are available (if any)?

·
Registered
590 Posts
Ecotricity are planning one at Rivenhall on the A12, but it's not active yet. There's a 22kw one for the Zoe at Lookers in Colchester.

·
Registered
6,779 Posts

Guess you only have 16A charging at home (ooh, or one the car, didn't think of that)? That's a shame ... so close.

·
Registered
321 Posts
I would have made it, I'm sure. However, I've read on here that the range drops when it rains and I haven't driven much in the rain yet.
....not seen any sign of that... I've driven at night, lashing down with rain, lights on, heater on, stereo on, phone charging and noticed very little difference.... the heater itself on full blast only registers about 1kwh of consumption (which would be about 4.5miles based on my driving scores). Careful bit of driving and should make the 1kw back.

·
Registered
321 Posts
Ecotricity are planning one at Rivenhall on the A12, but it's not active yet. There's a 22kw one for the Zoe at Lookers in Colchester.
Ah okay... The ecotricity ones will definitely be the answer to opening up that route then... plus the Asda installation in the town.... how far have they got with putting the rapids in? Any obvious sign of construction?

·
Registered
590 Posts
....not seen any sign of that... I've driven at night, lashing down with rain, lights on, heater on, stereo on, phone charging and noticed very little difference.... the heater itself on full blast only registers about 1kwh of consumption (which would be about 4.5miles based on my driving scores). Careful bit of driving and should make the 1kw back.
I've not noticed it either and the heater makes no difference at all, even on the advice of the car, it will say turn the heating off and you will gain +0 miles! I just bottled it.

·
Ecohound
1,291 Posts
Rivenhall electric junction box is now in so work is coming along but I am guessing it is still a month away. Used the Col U stadium rapid yesterday (CYC) and had a nice hot bacon roll with coffee before driving to Hintlesham Hall Hotel for a Tesla test drive. (y)

1 - 20 of 68 Posts