355 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Beer gut over belt ..... check
Consumes too much booze at home ... check
Grey beard .... check
Bad knees ..... check
Children confirm I am "embarrassing" .... check
Dad-dancing in kitchen while I cook .... check

I am embracing my mid-life crisis and and going to wring its neck enjoying it - I fancy a small sports car for "fun" - it doesn't need to be fast as I have my Tesla for that.
I want it to be reliable and cheap to run (i.e. not a classic car) and I will probably want to use it all year round unless its really snowy. I don't care how ridiculous I look in it within reason tbh.

The Mazda MX-5 / MX-5 RF or maybe a decent second hand variant looks like it ticks all the boxes to me - I am going to test drive one this week I hope.

I don't care about image, it might be a "hairdressers car" but given that I am an engineer anyway I have no concept of "cool"
  • Have you got a vanity / fun second car?
  • What would you recommend?
J

·
Registered
171 Posts
I too do all the above but luckily without the beer gut i lust after a Honda S2000 probably one of the best cars ever!

·
Registered
355 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Agreed, they are awesome, fantastic engine. Good one's hard to find though

Sent from my SM-G935F using Tapatalk

·
Super Moderator
11,271 Posts
I owned a third generation (NC) MX-5 for two years. Highly recommened. Everything I've read says the current generation car is even better.

I like the new Fiat 124 too. It is built in Japan alongside the MX-5.

One other mid-life suggestion: Start going to crossfit.

·
Registered
450 Posts
Mx5 gets my vote, but.... Go for an original mark one (pop-up light model).

Now I know you said you didnt want a classic (they're up to 28 years old), but, you did say reliable and bring a smile to your face, and they do both of those fautlessly.

The engines run forever, and are non-interference, so no damage, even if the timing best snaps. Simple engineering, so cheap to fix, I'm no mechanic, but I've done full suspension swap, exhaust, head gasket, etc.

They have also been keeping/increasing in value over the past few years to.

There's a guy in Berwick, who runs goodwood sports cars, who is still important rust free example from Japan, he refurbishes what needs doing and sell them on.

·
Registered
2,611 Posts
I can't afford a second car, however there was a guy I worked with who swore that the MX5 was a perfect mid-life crisis car.

·
Registered
291 Posts
Nissan 370z, 350z if your limited for budget everyone has an mx5 and whilst they are great cars i like to be abit different.. if the z series is abit too big and GT for you s2000 would be my next choice..

·
Registered
9,113 Posts
I now triumphantly announce my anti-mid life crisis car.

Sadly our diesel Audi A2 (the car that formed the ICE half of our two-car PHEV combo) was written off a couple of weeks ago and we are now replacing it with.... a five-year old diesel-free VW High Up! (Granted, it is red... :oops:)

In yer face..!

·
Registered
989 Posts
Reliable, cheap to run, sports. I can recommend a new Mercedes Unimog (the Dakar rally is a sports event, isn't it?), that's what I did. It might cost at least 150K UKP initially but you didn't specify "cheap to purchase" :p

·
Registered
891 Posts
Oh yes, I do recommend an off-road truck, they are infinite fun :p
However, cheap to run can not be used in the same sentence :whistle:

·
Registered
989 Posts
A Unimog is cheap to run?
It is in my opinion - it's (almost) new, so unless you do lots of miles (improbable unless you travel the world in it) one service every two years or so is enough. Road taxes vary by country, but for such a light commercial vehicle it's often very cheap. Tires last 10 years with low annual mileage. Two months in my wife's three-times-as-old XC90 is as expensive as the whole year for the Unimog... The XC90 chews tires, at least one thing goes wrong every year.

·
Registered
891 Posts
My truck is in Sweden and old enough to be a classic so free on tax and insurance is £100 per year, so that's cheap.
Mileage is about 8 mpg on a good day so that's less cheap. But as @rez_p says you don't do many miles, in my case around a 1000 per year, so the mileage doesn't matter much.

It's definitely worth it for all the fun it offers in the forest :)

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

·
Registered
355 Posts
Discussion Starter #20
Er, great suggestion, but I can't imagine taking a Unimog out for a blast with the top down on a Sunday morning, even though they are kinda awesome..... Lol

I did say cheap to run, and reliable (so that rules out a Defender for sure along with about 10 other reasons)

Would be worth borrowing / hiring Unimog for one day though just to see look on wife's face. Son would love it though...

You guys are nuts

J

1 - 20 of 26 Posts