Speak EV - Electric Car Forums banner

1 - 19 of 19 Posts

·
Registered
3 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I am due to have an EV charger installed but I live in a mid terraced house and the electric meter is on the back of the house.

the only way I was thinking of installing the cable (without going through the house) was to put the cable on the outside wall, up to the roof, through the loft and down the other side of the house. if anybody else has had a similar installation I would be thankful of any advice

cheers

·
Registered
3,867 Posts
I assume that you don't have suspended floors front to back in your house?

·
Registered
3 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
i could put them through the floorboards and the ceiling (where all my other cables and pipe work run through) but it would involve taking carpets ups and a lot of mess which I was hoping to avoid

·
Ampera aka IGOR
3,379 Posts
I live in a semi-detached bungalow with the meter on the outside wall but the main consumer unit in a cupboard in the centre of the house. My cabling comes from the consumer unit up inside the cupboard into the attic, along the attic floor to the gable end and then out through the wall, down the outside and across a 6ft high gate, along the outside of a detached garage to the charge point. So it can be done. It was my understanding that the power had to come from your own consumer unit and not the meter itself.

·
Registered
3,867 Posts
What you are planning is possible - just consider upping to 6mm^2 cable for a 32 Amp charger given the length of the cable run. What type of cable are you thinking of use?
The power doesn't have to come from the existing consumer unit. In theory it can come at any point after the hemley blocks or main switch via another (smaller) consumer unit. One of our two comes in exactly that route and is a superior installation.
Like Ian our consumer unit is in the centre of our bungalow, and we run our cable through the roof space and down the wall to the units.

·
Registered
Ioniq 38kWh
481 Posts
My CU is on the opposite side of the house to my charge point. I didn't want to dig up the front garden or run cable all the way round the outside of the house so I had the installers (ChargedEV) take the cable out of the CU up one outside wall, into and across the loft then down the outside wall to where I wanted the charge point. Easy. Cost me I think an extra 10m of cable at £5/m. A very neat job. One run of cable is mostly hidden behind a guttering downpipe so hardly visible.

·
Registered
3 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
Thanks for all the responges, my mains and CU are right next to each other so that shouldn’t be an issue. I think I will try and hide the cables behind the down pipes. It will probably end up being about 30m of cable so hopefully shouldn’t cost too much extra

·
Registered
3,867 Posts
6mm^2 armoured cable is about £2/m so it's more the cost of installation. Others might suggest PVC cable is acceptable and easier to terminate, but I remain unconvinced.

·
Registered
12 Posts
I had the same situation. A mid terraced house with a front drive and the consumer unit in the kitchen at the back. My installer used 2" trunking along the edge of my sitting room from the front of the house and then drilled through the wall into the kitchen. Because of the position of our AGA, he then put trunking across the kitchen ceiling to the CU. It may sound messy, but the installation was very tidy and as my house has a lot of exposed, painted brickwork and most electrical and plumbing is surface mounted, the trunking is never noticed by visitors.
The installation did cost about £200 more than the 'free' 'standard' originally quoted.

·
Registered
115 Posts
I had the same situation. A mid terraced house with a front drive and the consumer unit in the kitchen at the back. My installer used 2" trunking along the edge of my sitting room from the front of the house and then drilled through the wall into the kitchen. Because of the position of our AGA, he then put trunking across the kitchen ceiling to the CU. It may sound messy, but the installation was very tidy and as my house has a lot of exposed, painted brickwork and most electrical and plumbing is surface mounted, the trunking is never noticed by visitors.
The installation did cost about £200 more than the 'free' 'standard' originally quoted.
Wow this sounds quite invasive - are you happy with how it looks internally? I dread to think about running cables through the house to charge the car.

·
Registered
12 Posts
As I said, in my Victorian mid terrace, it does not look too out of place. If i can work out how, I will post some pictures. At the end of the day an EV charging installation may represent a 'plus' when I sell the house.

·
Registered
115 Posts
I have a Victorian mid terrace too, but I’ve spent the last few years removing any trace of cabling from the building, so it aggrieves me to consider adding any back.

I’m also in a conservation area... not sure what local authorities have to say...

·
Registered
2,222 Posts
At the end of the day an EV charging installation may represent a 'plus' when I sell the house.
I wouldn’t bank on it. I sold a property 18 months ago with a charging point and I understand from a neighbour that the new owner has had it removed. My buyer wasn’t that taken by the solar panels until I told him that they came with a £1000 per year tax free income and free electricity. Each to their own.

·
Registered
3,867 Posts
I’m also in a conservation area... not sure what local authorities have to say..
It's likely that you would not be able to fit one that is visible apart from in use. Hence they would encourage it to be mounted in a cupboard or indoors and for only the cable to be visible when in use.

·
Registered
760 Posts
Completely off-topic here - I'm intrigued about your number plate and the historic vehicle it belongs to, unfortunately these forums are inappropriate ...

·
Registered
115 Posts
It's likely that you would not be able to fit one that is visible apart from in use. Hence they would encourage it to be mounted in a cupboard or indoors and for only the cable to be visible when in use.
Yeah I thought that would be the case. I do not fancy a charging unit mounted to the wall inside my house!

·
Registered
3,867 Posts
Do you have a cellar with access to the front? A lot of properties had that for coal so the would be an irony in reusing it.

1 - 19 of 19 Posts