Speak EV - Electric Car Forums banner
1 - 20 of 21 Posts

·
Registered
233 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I've recently ventured into the world of public charging occasionally grabbing a free charge when I'm doing the shopping and what not and found the whole lot a lot simpler than my granny lead at home. For starters charging at even a measly 3.5kW is much better than the 1.5kW I get from the granny not to mention the granny is 'dumb' and if the charge has failed to start (when on delayed charging) for whatever reason I don't know without going to check on it...
This has now prompted me to investigate getting a real charger installed. Problem is I am in a mid terrace house, the electrical supply comes into the front (its inside the porch) and the car is parked at the foot of the garden behind the house.
If a cable needs to be run from supply to charger then surely it will need to go through the house? And likely cost significantly more?
Anyone got experience with this?
Picture attached for reference;

The charger would ideally be installed on the brick wall at the end of my garden but who knows how I'd get a cable to it!
TIA

·
Registered
6,682 Posts
Anything is possible.

Do you have access under the floor.?

Do you have access into the loft via a cupboard or something else that could hide a vertical cable run.

Look at the brick wall in your back yard and see if there is an obvious way to attach an armoured cable that would hide it?

Etc.

·
Registered
Nissan LEAF30
8,425 Posts
As @freddym , more information is needed. Would you be willing to have a cable run vertically from the Porch to the eaves and down again at the back? You say that your meter is in the Porch, but is the Consumer Unit located there? How do the wires for things like your cooker and immersion heater run currently?

You might also want to reconsider the characterisation of your neighbours .....

·
Registered
233 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
Anything is possible.

Do you have access under the floor.?

Do you have access into the loft via a cupboard or something else that could hide a vertical cable run.

Look at the brick wall in your back yard and see if there is an obvious way to attach an armoured cable that would hide it?

Etc.
I'm not sure about under the floor, I don't know how I could check if that's possible? I hadn't thought about a vertical run so that is potential route to explore.
The wall along the garden, if I could run the cable relatively low (5/6" above the ground) it would hidden by shrubbery etc so that should be simple enough.

As @freddym , more information is needed. Would you be willing to have a cable run vertically from the Porch to the eaves and down again at the back? You say that your meter is in the Porch, but is the Consumer Unit located there? How do the wires for things like your cooker and immersion heater run currently?

You might also want to reconsider the characterisation of your neighbours .....
Definitely not thought about running vertically, going up and through the loft could work well and not something I would be averse to having done. Meter is in the porch but consumer unit is on the other side of the wall just inside the hallway, no idea how the cooker is wired, it has its own switch on the consumer unit, no immersion heater. The electric shower has its own connection which is fed up through the airing cupboard which in turn a cable could go straight through and out into the loft space.

The neighbours comment was in jest! Both have nice end of terrace plots, one even with a driveway and yet neither have an electric car! ;)

When covid allows I will get an electrician round for a quote? Would a regular electrician be the right person or should I go to a dedicated chargepoint installer?

·
Registered
233 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
Not sure why the neighbours are mentioned on the drawing...? Most terrace house will have a suspended ground floor. An armoured cable could be drawn through this space from front to back of the house. Any reputable electrician can do this - you don't need to go through the Grant process.
You replied just as I did! Slandering of neighbours was a joke! You've answered my question about electrician being able to sort so thanks!

·
Registered
6,682 Posts
You replied just as I did! Slandering of neighbours was a joke! You've answered my question about electrician being able to sort so thanks!
Definitely use an ordinary competent sparky. Tell him you will supply the charger so he doesn't sell you a rubbish white and green one that sounds like Rolex.

·
Registered
6,682 Posts
I'm not sure about under the floor, I don't know how I could check if that's possible? I hadn't thought about a vertical run so that is potential route to explore.
The wall along the garden, if I could run the cable relatively low (5/6" above the ground) it would hidden by shrubbery etc so that should be simple enough.

Definitely not thought about running vertically, going up and through the loft could work well and not something I would be averse to having done. Meter is in the porch but consumer unit is on the other side of the wall just inside the hallway, no idea how the cooker is wired, it has its own switch on the consumer unit, no immersion heater. The electric shower has its own connection which is fed up through the airing cupboard which in turn a cable could go straight through and out into the loft space.

The neighbours comment was in jest! Both have nice end of terrace plots, one even with a driveway and yet neither have an electric car! ;)

When covid allows I will get an electrician round for a quote? Would a regular electrician be the right person or should I go to a dedicated chargepoint installer?
Running along the brick wall will save you a fortune compared to trenching and making good. Get under the floor and have a poke around. Most terrace house need a good look now and again to check for leaking pipes, rotting joists ( the joys) 😀

·
Registered
5,652 Posts
Get at least a couple of quotes. Don't bother with the big installers, they're not interested in anything beyond the most basic installation, but if you check the OLEV list of approved installers you can probably find some individuals local to you who are approved and will still have an interest in you as an individual customer. Also if you know a good local electrician have a word with them as they can either do the whole job if you're not claiming a grant or if you are they can run the cable and let the approved installer finish the job.

A good company should be willing to visit you for a quote and suggest ways the job can be done when they've seen the site.

·
Registered
345 Posts
Find the charger you want then work back from there.

Get quotes from everyone. The company who make the charger you want or the ones they recommend if they use subbies (Rolec), local companies who can claim the grant, companies who can't get the grant but will install.

Duncans right about the big companies, some charge overs for extras so could be worth getting someone to run cables then get them into install. But make sure you do exactly their spec.

For the grant make sure the place were your cars parked is on your deeds.

·
Registered
6,682 Posts
Find the charger you want then work back from there.

Get quotes from everyone. The company who make the charger you want or the ones they recommend if they use subbies (Rolec), local companies who can claim the grant, companies who can't get the grant but will install.

Duncans right about the big companies, some charge overs for extras so could be worth getting someone to run cables then get them into install. But make sure you do exactly their spec.

Don't muck around with a mix and match electrical contractors: you want one spark who takes responsibility for the entire job. If you and him or her are happy for some labour to be supplied by you for the cable pulling that all to the better for your pocket.

·
Registered
345 Posts
Don't muck around with a mix and match electrical contractors: you want one spark who takes responsibility for the entire job. If you and him or her are happy for some labour to be supplied by you for the cable pulling that all to the better for your pocket.
Of course "someone" could be himself..

·
Registered
Kia e-Niro 4 MY20, Zoe Z.E.50 GT Line
1,811 Posts
This is an interesting point. You need to have permission for the charge point to be installed. Assumption is it’s on your land but that isn’t actually checked as part of the process. Mine is installed on a piece of land that I don’t own and, in fact, nobody does (the history of that isn’t important). Because it’s separate from the house I was asked if I own it, when I said I don’t there was talk of needing proof of permission, which I couldn’t obtain... however that isn’t on the list of proofs needed for the grant application so you can get past this with a sympathetic installer.

·
Registered
233 Posts
Discussion Starter · #17 ·
Thanks for all the great info everyone

Where are you located? Happy to price if local.
North Kent, near Maidstone.

This is an interesting point. You need to have permission for the charge point to be installed. Assumption is it’s on your land but that isn’t actually checked as part of the process. Mine is installed on a piece of land that I don’t own and, in fact, nobody does (the history of that isn’t important). Because it’s separate from the house I was asked if I own it, when I said I don’t there was talk of needing proof of permission, which I couldn’t obtain... however that isn’t on the list of proofs needed for the grant application so you can get past this with a sympathetic installer.
We do not own the parking space, it is allocated parking so I always park there but it isn't in our deeds, the charger would be installed within our garden on the brick wall and I'd run the cable from the charge point under the gate to the car, this is what I currently do with my granny lead, the gate has about a 2" gap underneath it so it's never been a problem and the car is right up against the gate on the other side. Don't see why this same method wouldn't work with a charge point, I'm leaning toward untethered so I can use my own type 2 to type 1 cable from charge point to car, makes for an easier upgrade come time to replace the Ampera with a car that'll presumably have native type 2.

·
Registered
6,682 Posts
Thanks for all the great info everyone

North Kent, near Maidstone.

We do not own the parking space, it is allocated parking so I always park there but it isn't in our deeds, the charger would be installed within our garden on the brick wall and I'd run the cable from the charge point under the gate to the car, this is what I currently do with my granny lead, the gate has about a 2" gap underneath it so it's never been a problem and the car is right up against the gate on the other side. Don't see why this same method wouldn't work with a charge point, I'm leaning toward untethered so I can use my own type 2 to type 1 cable from charge point to car, makes for an easier upgrade come time to replace the Ampera with a car that'll presumably have native type 2.
It's quite easy to be dissuaded by armchair legal experts. However this one just sounds like a non Grant job. Just do it is often the best approach.

On the question of tethered or not, you might want to arrange a tidy wooden box/ cupboard to disguise it from view of nosey neighbours, petty officials and the like. Make the cupboard/ box big enough to include the cable.

Since you are going through your garden, it would make sense to instal an earth rod for the charger. This is more reliable and probably cheaper in your case than fussing with lost neutral "devices".

·
Registered
Nissan LEAF30
8,425 Posts
"Sympathetic installer" could be misconstrued as someone willing to perjure themselves. You sign to confirm that "The installation address has designated private off-street parking with good access for an eligible vehicle to be charged safely" and they sign to confirm "The installation address has designated private off-street parking and the chargepoint has been installed in an appropriate location, with appropriate access for a vehicle" as part of the OLEV/OZEV grant. This is defined as:

Electric Vehicle Homecharge Scheme: guidance for customers

Dedicated off-street parking
The customer’s property must have designated, private off-street parking. This may be co-located with the property or separate from it. Where the parking is separate, the customer must be able to demonstrate that they have a legal entitlement to the parking space through the provision of land registry title deeds.

The grant is not available where the customer does not own the parking or have sole legal right to it. This includes:

rented spaces
spaces shared with other properties
spaces that provide access routes to other properties
The parking must be suitable for a chargepoint installation (a survey before installation must be conducted by the installer). The parking must be able to permit an eligible vehicle to be charged safely. The customer must be able to access the parking space at all times.

If you do not have off-street parking, OZEV have a grant scheme for on-street residential charging that can be taken up by your local authority.

We are not able to permit arrangements that involve cables being placed over public land, such as pavements, even if it is temporary.

Installers are expected to determine if the parking will permit an eligible vehicle to be charged safely. OZEV will not intervene in any negative assessment made by an installer.
As @freddym , go without the grant (it will probably cost no more anyway) and use an Earth spike.

·
Registered
Elmo Referral: AdamT50 (£50 off one month for both of us)
450 Posts
I am going to watch this thread with great interest as we have an almost identical house setup. Our thought was to go up through the porch, up the front of the house, through the loft, back out and down the other side and across the garden

1 - 20 of 21 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.