Speak EV - Electric Car Forums banner
1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Registered
GOLF GTE PHEV
3,982 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Sorry if this is old news.
From 1st Jan Midlothian council is now charging 30p/kwh for 43kwh and above and 16p/kwh for 22kwh and under.
Aberdeenshire already introduced charges in December but a more reasonable flat rate of 21p/kwh.
I expect other councils will follow their lead but it remains to be seen whether the reasons for the charges - so they can 'maintain their chargers', holds up.

·
Registered
6,745 Posts
The Watt is named after James Watt, of steam engine fame, a Scotsman. As SI units named after persons follow a capitalisation convention, energy units used in connection with electricity are abbreviated as kWh.

·
Registered
GOLF GTE PHEV
3,982 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
The Watt is named after James Watt, of steam engine fame, a Scotsman. As SI units named after persons follow a capitalisation convention, energy units used in connection with electricity are abbreviated as kWh.
Pedant;)

·
Registered
1,382 Posts
I'm all in favour of rapid chargers not being free, as when they are, it just encourages people to hog the charger to get their car up to 100%. I live right on the south coast, and have been up to Scotland on a few occasions in the last 5 years (pre Covid), and every time, we ran into problems with my original choice of rapid being clogged with either a taxi or other vehicle plugged in, with no driver around, slowly charging at + 80%, meaning unnecessary diversions to find Plan B & Plan C chargers.

·
Registered
GOLF GTE PHEV
3,982 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
I'm all in favour of rapid chargers not being free, as when they are, it just encourages people to hog the charger to get their car up to 100%. I live right on the south coast, and have been up to Scotland on a few occasions in the last 5 years (pre Covid), and every time, we ran into problems with my original choice of rapid being clogged with either a taxi or other vehicle plugged in, with no driver around, slowly charging at + 80%, meaning unnecessary diversions to find Plan B & Plan C chargers.
Yes, charging even 21p/kwh allows the option of overstay penalties which are welcome. I expect we'll see the phasing out of free chargers this year.

·
Registered
2012 24kw upgraded to 40kw
283 Posts
I've only met one person charging over 90% on a rapid, and i suggested to them that they should not leave their car at a rapid for more than the time required to charge to 80% (preferably not unattended) and that charging over 80% when others were waiting is 'bad EV etiquette'. I think this was mentioned in a ChargePlaceScotland leaflet when joining the scheme (?).
Taxis can be a PITA, but it's their livelihood, so some slack is not unreasonable (along with being thankful for for having a less friable job/career).

1 - 6 of 6 Posts