Speak EV - Electric Car Forums banner
1 - 5 of 5 Posts

·
Registered
Vauxhall Mokka e Launch Edition May 2021 (nee Ampera Electron May 2012)
426 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
First ever, ever post anywhere.

Having lurked around this site from the early days I have now got my (well not actually mine - story to follow) black Electron.
Didn't actually intend to buy one until end of year when the standard spec came out and I could pay much less and get a grand off!

Always spout that the infotainment system/satnav etc are unimportant to me then always buy top of range and forever wonder what all the gizmos do? Luckily have two technically minded sons only to pleased to set everything up for themselves and as a reward allow me one radio channel and blue tooth phone.

Any way, shouldn't have gone for test drive! Agreed to part ex my Antara 2010 and significant other's Corsa 2011 and got probable delivery date 3 months hence, but amazingly it arrived within 2 weeks (much scurrying to scrape up difference).

Will see how my first post goes then might comment on my experience with Insurance, Paint Job, Charge Cable/Home Charger, Front Skirt and Solar Panels.

Oh and already in over 40 club (twice) with only 125 miles of trying.

Regards to all

Mike

·
Registered
7,249 Posts
Congratulations Mike, on your Ampera and on your first post ever and welcome :)

I do hope you enjoy sticking around and chatting here. It can be great fun and we are a friendly buch of Ampera and Volt enthusiasts just wanting to help each other discover this new car.

Where are you?

·
Registered
426 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Mancunian lad but moved two miles south of the border and now live in Trafford as I saw the potential of the Metrolink tram system which is now expanding.

As and if the free bus pass comes the Ampera will be redundant but eldest was out in it today testing Sport mode and L drive - glazed eyes indicated I have a taker as and when it becomes available!

·
Registered
426 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
OK, now we have hit the quarter of a millennium driving milestone and I have gotten to know you all a little better I shall expand on my original post as to why it is technically not my car:-

My better half allowed me to follow the whim of utilising an electric car to work in tandem with my other potential folly of solar panels. I snook the £150 Pioneer fee past her auditing nose and off we went. Couldn't believe the price and lack of financial incentive to buy in the first wave so was happy to wait for basic model but it would have been winter or even next spring before it would arrive (or so lead to believe).

In the meantime we would have two cars worth over 20K sitting on drive hardly used whilst we jollied over summer and autumn, vehicles still needing taxing, insuring, servicing and depreciating (a lot in respect of Antara).

I convinced us that it made economic sense to fix the part ex rate now and take delivery of Black Electron expected delivery at end of August (even said I would await 62 plate).

That meant my change of vehicle would coincide with insurance renewal and save any extra change of details fine. How wrong can one be? Amazingly the car I chose was waiting to be shipped and so was 'mine' within the fortnight. Cue phone call to MoreTh>n who promptly told me they do not insure the Ampera (although to find that out the call taker had to access internet to find out what one was and subsequently is saving to get one). At least they are returning £90 for my cancelled insurance, but now I cannot 'drive any other vehicle' which has proved to be a bugger.

Next call to Hastings Direct (good lady's risk taker) who were more than happy to register a change of vehicle details for £35 plus another £130 or so for the 'more expensive than a Corsa' cover to December.

So far so good you would think, but when providing the insurance certificate in spouse name to Arnold Clark Manchester, to register and tax my car, the technicalities hit the fan. I was the Pioneer, I had ordered the vehicle, I had signed the Government Grant application, there were four days to go before the end of May and the salesman would have to wait another month for his commission.

Amazingly the contract was redrawn, the grant application redrafted and the vehicle ready for dear heart by the end of the month, registered in her name. Then the problem starts, I got to drive it the 6 miles home and I have hardly seen the inside of it since. A week has elapsed and our conversations appear to consist of: "My car needs charging" and "Yes dear"

As the insurance is up in December and I need to reclaim my manhood by actually being the registered keeper and being able to drive other vehicles I thought matters would right themselves - Joy, but no - if we change ownership back to me then the lifetime warranty is compromised. From Mrs to Mr is doomed.

Any assistance/advice gratefully received and, more importantly, any decent insurance details out there?

Mike

PS Still have £150 as a Pioneer awaiting refund, or maybe I will buy my own basic version in the autumn!

·
Registered
7,249 Posts
Mike, I sympathise. I have heard of another couple where the other half has rather taken over the Ampera. It could become the source of matrimonial strife ;-)

We are insured with Admiral Multi-car. Great price and very east and convenient if you put two cars on the policy. It was about £230 but we do have max NCD. Nevertheless it is a good price.

If you just want insurance on one car the we found that Swiftcover was pretty good.

1 - 5 of 5 Posts