Speak EV - Electric Car Forums banner

1 - 19 of 19 Posts

·
Registered
1,562 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I'll be ready to buy another(!) model 3 by the end of May, assuming the lockdown isn't extended beyond that point.

Tesla are currently unwilling to consider letting me order another SR+ (understandable), and the LR is out of reach price-wise, so it looks like I might have to go for a second hand car, privately.

There are a few used examples already up for sale, one of which has caught my eye, even though it has 12k miles on it. Would it be risky to go for such an example? And are there many differences between cars delivered mid 2019 and brand new cars?

·
Registered
16,897 Posts
I wouldn’t have thought so. The warranty would still apply.

There’s not really any differences between 2020 and 2019 cars.

·
Registered
561 Posts
I'll be ready to buy another(!) model 3 by the end of May, assuming the lockdown isn't extended beyond that point.

Tesla are currently unwilling to consider letting me order another SR+ (understandable), and the LR is out of reach price-wise, so it looks like I might have to go for a second hand car, privately.

There are a few used examples already up for sale, one of which has caught my eye, even though it has 12k miles on it. Would it be risky to go for such an example? And are there many differences between cars delivered mid 2019 and brand new cars?
Why not just buy one of these?

·
Registered
1,562 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
Why not just buy one of these?

I handed the car I had 3 weeks ago back, which disqualifies me from ordering the same trim for 12 months. I have asked if Tesla were willing to budge on that and the answer was 'not at the moment'.

·
My Evezy.co.uk referral code: b4552
Tesla Model 3 SR
415 Posts
A 2019 SR + will likely have front fog lights and curry hooks in the frunk that a 2020 won’t have. Also it won’t have door pocket lights, but they don’t work anyway on partial premium. The rear shelf speaker is different too on the newer cars.

·
Registered
147 Posts

Used Model S from Tesla, from £37k... From your previous posts I thought you handed it back because of the currrent uncertainty. Although the lockdown won't last a year hopefully, the uncertainty will until we have a vaccine or reliable treatment.

·
Registered
126 Posts
Differences aren't that different and maybe you don't want the pedestrian warning noise :)

Having seen the updates to the Model Y and no announcement about a radical battery tech coming out to make our cars obsolete (hopefully it'll come from Tesla anyway). I'm definitely hoping to keep hold of my M3 and then swap to a Model Y.

No point rushing in to a decision now.

·
Registered
4,097 Posts
I handed the car I had 3 weeks ago back, which disqualifies me from ordering the same trim for 12 months. I have asked if Tesla were willing to budge on that and the answer was 'not at the moment'.
Can't you get your partner to order one?

·
Registered
1,133 Posts
That one for £36k looks ok and the cheapest around by a few k and assuming the reason for sale is genuine should be fine as a car (value being a different question). I suspect the prices will start to fall further, I know some dealers are feeling stuck with stock and will shift anything if they can as they are reliant on turnover, deperate times for them, but they're not discounting much yet. Tesla are also offering effectively small discounts or heavily discounted FSD upgrades to make some of their stock look more attractive which puts pressure on the market. The 36k one is a private seller and they may be more prepared to sit it out but I imagine it will still be for sale in 2 weeks. Either way, I think the market isn;t near the bottom due to the virus yet.

If you want to track movements my website has an email notification service and you'll get daily emails of any new listings and price changes, and you can ask it for say anything under 40k, you can then track the market easily.

·
Registered
1,562 Posts
Discussion Starter #12
That one for £36k looks ok and the cheapest around by a few k and assuming the reason for sale is genuine should be fine as a car (value being a different question). I suspect the prices will start to fall further, I know some dealers are feeling stuck with stock and will shift anything if they can as they are reliant on turnover, deperate times for them, but they're not discounting much yet. Tesla are also offering effectively small discounts or heavily discounted FSD upgrades to make some of their stock look more attractive which puts pressure on the market. The 36k one is a private seller and they may be more prepared to sit it out but I imagine it will still be for sale in 2 weeks. Either way, I think the market isn;t near the bottom due to the virus yet.

If you want to track movements my website has an email notification service and you'll get daily emails of any new listings and price changes, and you can ask it for say anything under 40k, you can then track the market easily.
Is your site tesla-info?

If so, brilliant site :)

I'm going to hang on for a few weeks yet (I don't have a choice, can't travel to view or pick one up anyway!).

I've already seen a bit of a shift at dealers. It's a long shot, but if I can pick up a used M3 for under £33k I'd be a very happy bunny. I now have to balance impatience (!!) against waiting for the market low point.

·
Registered
4,097 Posts
I'm going to hang on for a few weeks yet (I don't have a choice, can't travel to view or pick one up anyway!).
And that's at the root of all of these bargains - no-one can actually buy them.

·
Registered
49 Posts
Well for what it's worth there is a M3 SR+ coming up on Aston Barclay's auction site tomorrow. Guide price is 31,800 +/- 10%. It's done 6k miles and looks like it's had a hard 4 months life. Cosmetic damage inside and out (bodywork, and rims). Be interested to know what it will really go for. Looks like the Autotrader gougers are already out of the blocks advertising before they've bought it for 38,500 .. Which was or very close to the list price at purchase. Nice money if you can get it in today's climate. I'm sure someone will bite at 38,500 but given the choice I'd chip in the 2990 and get a fresh one from Tesla at least I'd know it's provenance. It's not like you need to wait on Tesla at the moment.

·
Registered
1,562 Posts
Discussion Starter #18
Well for what it's worth there is a M3 SR+ coming up on Aston Barclay's auction site tomorrow. Guide price is 31,800 +/- 10%. It's done 6k miles and looks like it's had a hard 4 months life. Cosmetic damage inside and out (bodywork, and rims). Be interested to know what it will really go for. Looks like the Autotrader gougers are already out of the blocks advertising before they've bought it for 38,500 .. Which was or very close to the list price at purchase. Nice money if you can get it in today's climate. I'm sure someone will bite at 38,500 but given the choice I'd chip in the 2990 and get a fresh one from Tesla at least I'd know it's provenance. It's not like you need to wait on Tesla at the moment.
I've already asked them if they'd be willing to let me have the car that I returned back at the end of May - at the moment they seem unwilling to budge, which is a shame.

I've kind of grown attached to the idea of outright ownership (wedge of cash saved plus a loan), as the monthlies are lower and there isn't the looming balloon to pay off. Plus, if things go bad, I at least have a saleable asset; the only way out of the Black Horse PCP is to hand the car back & pay half the finance balance.

I did feel a bit annoyed at myself when I logged into the finance agreement & saw I could have deferred the first payment for 3 months :rolleyes:

I think I'll steer clear of that auction vehicle :D

·
Registered
943 Posts
If any one stupid enough want to pay nearly full price for second hand car, fair play to them.

Why you would I have no idea....

How dealers are trying sell second hand cars at basically new prices it's beyond me.

Sent from my SM-G955F using Tapatalk

1 - 19 of 19 Posts