Speak EV - Electric Car Forums banner

1 - 19 of 19 Posts

·
Registered
6 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hi. I’ve just bought a June made 2016 BMW i3 and I was wondering what the mileage range was ?
Mine is currently doing around 60 miles which I am quite disappointed with.
Is this right ? (I’m aware that the battery range will be less considering its winter and I’m using the lights / windscreen wipers etc)

I just thought it would go further than 60 miles 🤷‍♀️

·
Registered
191 Posts
Mine is the later version, new 2018, so I can't relate directly to your situation as the battery sizes are different.
Questions first I'm afraid; are you comfortable the battery is being fully charged?
Supplementary, are you charging via a 13A socket (delivering 2.4 kW), or via a specially installed domestic Charge Point capable of delivering 7.2 kW?

What temperature are you setting on the internal heating? Try setting a lower temperature but using the heated seat instead, note there are three settings.
The car will default to Comfort mode every time it's started; after the vehicle has warmed, select Eco-Pro instead.
If the vehicle hasn't been pre-conditioned, do not select Eco-Pro straight away as the heat output is reduced; you want increased range, but not at the expense of feeling chill.

If the vehicle is plugged in the mains ALWAYS use pre-heating for every trip. Either give it an hours notice of the departure time, or if going for 'immediate' (Charge Now) heating, give it at least 30 mins before you drive off (although 15 minutes is better than nothing).

Regards.

·
Registered
6 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
Thanks CoIA. I think I have a 60ahr but not 100% sure as I’ve only had the car 4 days.

I don’t really have a typical journey as I work all over Manchester and some days I can be working in Bolton (30 miles away) which is all motorway driving and other days I’m working in the city centre. Quite often I am going to 2 or 3 different destinations in one day. Some days I do 20 miles and others I do over 80.
Not sure if that helps???

·
Registered
6 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
Thanks Davidss - that’s very interesting. I will give that a go. At the minute I am just using the standard 3 pin plug although I am contemplating getting a charge-point fitted. Would you recommend a charge point? And if so which one?

·
Registered
191 Posts
I also think that a 2016 model will have the 60Ah battery.
When Motorway driving do not aim for 70mph cruising; 55 to 60 will get you further.
Do not use cruise control; it waits until the vehicle has slowed, then accelerates uphill, it cannot anticipate uphill gradients like you can. Aim to maintain speed uphill, which will take more throttle, but accelerating uphill to regain speed takes even more throttle.
I would definitely recommend a Charge Point, although it is an uncertain extra expense because any internal wiring changes are unknown.
I won't 'recommend' a CP, but I have satisfactory service from a Rolec unit.
Have a read of the 'charging' sub forum on this site for focused discussions.

You can pre-condition while plugged into a 13A socket. In fact, you can pre-condition without being plugged in at all. The heating current always comes from the car battery, it's just that while plugged in the battery is charged at the same time.
The heat target while pre-conditioning is always 22C, it doesn't matter what setting you have on the dial.
I run at 18C normally; the extra heat from PC is easily lost when the door is opened.
Obvious, but if you have a gate to open and close as you drive away, always close the door when you are not in the car, you want to conserve the heat. If you can, open the gate before opening the car door.

Regards.

·
Registered
152 Posts
Try and keep your motorway speed down, slower = longer range. A few minutes on a trip is better than extra charging stops.

Do you have the power / charge meter on the dash of an older i3? Using the regen to slow down is good, but you only get a % of the energy back that you put in, so try and leave gaps so you can speed up and then hit the neutral spot in the middle where you are coasting.

Unfortunately, cold air has more drag, water on the road has more drag, heating uses battery. Summer will be better!

·
Registered
402 Posts
Motorway driving is a killer unfortunately. The Eco Pro Plus setting keeps maximum speed to 56 mph for that reason, but it also switches the a/c and heating off which may not suit! Most people use Eco Pro and pre-condition before departure in cold conditions.

The wall charger is more convenient but won’t affect the range provided you are fully charging.

Reducing speed and a soft right foot together with Eco Pro are about all you can do. If you are running short of range, switch to Pro Plus. 60 miles seems poor.

·
Registered
6 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
Thanks CoIA - that’s very helpful. I thought 60 miles was poor. BMW are saying that’s about right though 🤷‍♀️
I’m going to try to increase the range by doing what everyone has suggested and see what happens.
I am disappointed with the range and am kinda regretting the purchase now - the car was not cheap either!!!! 🙈

·
Registered
152 Posts
With your driving pattern, I would have been looking at a bigger battery option, unless destination chargers are reliably available at your 30 miles away work option. 60 miles range and a 60 mile round trip are not realistically compatible.

Where did you buy the car, at a BMW dealer? Did you explain your journey pattern to them when you bought the car? Did they actually seem to understand and explain to you the advantages / disadvantages of EV ownership? Not all BMW dealers / sales people are experts on the i range.

·
Registered
6 Posts
Discussion Starter #11
Thanks Eoin - I bought the car from an independent dealer and I did my research as they new nothing about electric cars. All the research I did said that it would do 80-100 miles which is fine for 90% of the journeys I do and for the remainder my partner said I could borrow his car - so win win!
I was surprised it didn’t do the expected 80 miles and only did 60 (at best). Although I do appreciate all the other comments and will try to see if I can eek out the battery by preconditioning etc.

I maybe thought that the battery wasn’t performing right as I do know the battery was flat for a good amount of time that the dealer had it so I wondered if that had effected the performance ?

·
Registered
12 Posts
Can I tack on another relevant question? The helpful website cited by ColA (referring to 120ah i3) says "sustaining high speeds in cold weather could result in a range of around 100 mi. However, driving at low speeds in mild weather will increase the range to around 225 mi." What typical temperatures is this based on? I'm planning a 100m journey in Dec with an expected ambient temp of 8degC; will I make it? Other comments on driving styles are helpful. BTW C76, you didn't miss out buying from an independent dealer; my BMW main dealership knows nothing about EVs (OK, perhaps just enough to sell them to the uninitiated) & there doesn't seem to be national helpdesk. One unexpected benefit is membership of and support from aficionados on the web & chatting @ public charging stations!

·
Registered
152 Posts
If you start from cold with no preconditioning, 60 sounds about right, especially if you are doing 2 starts from cold (morning and evening trip). Pre-heat while plugged in before you set off and start pestering your work to have a charging point (businesses get grants for putting chargers in as well).

·
Registered
152 Posts
Can I tack on another relevant question? The helpful website cited by ColA (referring to 120ah i3) says "sustaining high speeds in cold weather could result in a range of around 100 mi. However, driving at low speeds in mild weather will increase the range to around 225 mi." What typical temperatures is this based on? I'm planning a 100m journey in Dec with an expected ambient temp of 8degC; will I make it? Other comments on driving styles are helpful. BTW C76, you didn't miss out buying from an independent dealer; my BMW main dealership knows nothing about EVs (OK, perhaps just enough to sell them to the uninitiated) & there doesn't seem to be national helpdesk. One unexpected benefit is membership of and support from aficionados on the web & chatting @ public charging stations!
100 should be comfortable, I have done 125 miles at that sort of temperature with rain patches and 11% remaining charge. That was 63 mph cruising, heat on at 19 C. I know the range meter is a bit of a guess, but if you use the sat nav so you can see miles to destination and keep an eye on the range meter to see if the buffer you have is increasing or decreasing, you can slow down / speed up as needed. Hold 70 mph for a while and see how the range drops, then 60 mph and see how it increases. 60 mph vs 70 mph is worth >10% range. Learn by doing, it's the best way, just have some charger options available for an emergency.

·
Registered
402 Posts
Thanks Eoin - I bought the car from an independent dealer and I did my research as they new nothing about electric cars. All the research I did said that it would do 80-100 miles which is fine for 90% of the journeys I do and for the remainder my partner said I could borrow his car - so win win!
I was surprised it didn’t do the expected 80 miles and only did 60 (at best). Although I do appreciate all the other comments and will try to see if I can eek out the battery by preconditioning etc.

I maybe thought that the battery wasn’t performing right as I do know the battery was flat for a good amount of time that the dealer had it so I wondered if that had effected the performance ?
It’s not good that the battery was flat and contrary to BMW instructions. I am not sure how simple a battery test would be but it would definitely be a job for a BMW main dealer. The battery has an extended warranty (8 years?) so if the warranty conditions have been met (full service schedule) then if you were able to get it tested and it was faulty then there is the possibility of redress.
Not a subject I know anything about but others may help.

·
Registered
6 Posts
Discussion Starter #16
Really appreciate all your comments everyone. The preconditioning is def a god send and has made a difference already. I’m a happier bunny!!! 😃

·
Registered
152 Posts
In case you get caught out on one of your longer trips (cold / wet / stuck in traffic with the heater on), look for chargers on zapmap and find some en-route / near work where you can test charge before you actually need the charger.

·
Registered
9 Posts
Hi,

As others have said, the car is quite inefficient at motorways speeds. I've had mine a week (90ah REX) and have done some longish motorway runs, and I could literally see the SOH/ range dropping off by the minute... was shocking!! And having the REX on didn't seem to do much either!

So yeah, I think keeping the speed down would be the main advice, together with the preheating etc. I'm quite heavy with the right foot, so maybe this cars not meant for me! The charge also takes a big hit in the cold weather.

Thanks

·
Registered
1,857 Posts
The battery has an extended warranty (8 years?) so if the warranty conditions have been met (full service schedule) then if you were able to get it tested and it was faulty then there is the possibility of redress.
Not a subject I know anything about but others may help.
I suspect that a BMW dealer would expect to be paid for the cost of any diagnostic tests outwith the normal 2 yearly battery check. A range of 60 miles in cold and wet conditions with wipers, lights and heating when the car is driven at speed is not unusual based on 4 years of driving a 60Ah i3 REx. If maximum range in an EV is important then one of the skills is knowing when to slow down coupled with use of Eco Pro and seat rather than cabin heating.

1 - 19 of 19 Posts