Speak EV - Electric Car Forums banner

1 - 20 of 41 Posts

·
Registered
1,882 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
So it was bound to happen I was charging my car yesterday when a leaf rolled into the fast charger, I planning to finish my charge in the next few minutes when he all but demanded I stop and give him the charger otherwise he was going to be late for his meeting.

I pointed out that I was almost done and will be leaving in a few minutes. Then I was subjected to a tirade of abuse including "these are for leaf owners", "people like you can afford to charge elsewhere", "your not allowed to use these, Ecotricity are taking Tesla to court", plus a few more more fragrant responses that I wont reproduce here.

Now I am 6 foot 1 built like a rugby prop so know I can be intimidating but luckily I have a mild temperament and don't easily reach the point where I punch idiots on the nose, however this person came very close to putting me in a position that I really want to be.

So I made if very clear to him that the chargers were for all EV drivers and if he had been reasonable I would have unplugged immediately and let him use it, however as it happens I turned on my heals and went back to get in line at Costa for another coffee.

Strangely enough when I came out 10 minutes later he had gone, so either he was not really that desperate for the charge or something else caused the outburst, either way I hope this is a one off otherwise things are going to get ugly.

Please be decent to other people, you will be surprised how accommodating people will be, especially you Mr white mark II leaf owner near Peterbrough.

·
Registered
2,155 Posts
So it was bound to happen I was charging my car yesterday when a leaf rolled into the fast charger, I planning to finish my charge in the next few minutes when he all but demanded I stop and give him the charger otherwise he was going to be late for his meeting.

I pointed out that I was almost done and will be leaving in a few minutes. Then I was subjected to a tirade of abuse including "these are for leaf owners", "people like you can afford to charge elsewhere", "your not allowed to use these, Ecotricity are taking Tesla to court", plus a few more more fragrant responses that I wont reproduce here.

Now I am 6 foot 1 built like a rugby prop so know I can be intimidating but luckily I have a mild temperament and don't easily reach the point where I punch idiots on the nose, however this person came very close to putting me in a position that I really want to be.

So I made if very clear to him that the chargers were for all EV drivers and if he had been reasonable I would have unplugged immediately and let him use it, however as it happens I turned on my heals and went back to get in line at Costa for another coffee.

Strangely enough when I came out 10 minutes later he had gone, so either he was not really that desperate for the charge or something else caused the outburst, either way I hope this is a one off otherwise things are going to get ugly.

Please be decent to other people, you will be surprised how accommodating people will be, especially you Mr white mark II leaf owner near Peterbrough.
"people like you can afford to charge elsewhere" - you have to love that logic. It's like saying Jaguar or Mercedes drivers aren't allowed to use Asda or Tesco fuel pumps because they can afford the prices at motorway filling stations!

"these are for leaf owners" - reply "Actually, these are for Ecotricity card holders, just like the one I have here"

"your not allowed to use these, Ecotricity are taking Tesla to court" - reply "Indeed they are, but I am not Tesla, nor do I work for Tesla, nor have Ecotricity issued a blanket-ban on Tesla drivers..."

·
SU-EV convert
Jaguar iPace 2020
367 Posts
It's not militant, it's downright belligerent ! Probably more than a bit envious too. Congrats for staying out of trouble

·
Registered
2,026 Posts
What a total tosser, I think to be fair though there have been plenty of Leaf owners reacting like this to other Leaf drivers as well as Craig found out, this guy must have been having a bad day sadly electric cars are not just the preserve of the sensible and rational amongst us.

I am glad that I rarely need to use the Rapids at the moment, all of my RC experiences have been very pleasant though and I have never had any problems so far, I can see this getting worse though as the cars grow in popularity unless there is a much faster expansion in the number of chargers.

I always find the best way to deal with people who are ranting is to say very little, If I turn up and there is a Tesla charging the only thing you will find annoying about me is all the questions I have about the car and wanting to have a sit in it! Ha ha.

·
Registered
8,106 Posts
That is sad to hear about. I have no idea where he got this "Leaf only" rubbish from. I guess he just made it up.

All EV drivers can use the Highway. I know there are differences of opinion surrounding how long each car should take but that is a completely separate issue. Everyone, regardless of make of EV, has equal rights to use the chargers.

It is a pity that people cannot treat others in a friendly and respectful way.

·
Registered
3 Posts
What terrible behaviour and bad planning on his part.

I drive a Leaf so I can assure you that we are not all like that. I quite enjoy the opportunity to learn more about everyone's vehicles when I charge or am waiting to charge.

I did get a bit of a shock recently: the new rapid charger in Colchester's football ground wants you to pay £5 for 16kW/h. I drove to waitrose instead and had a coffee while I waited for the 5% I needed to guarantee I got home.

·
Registered
1,882 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
What terrible behaviour and bad planning on his part.

I drive a Leaf so I can assure you that we are not all like that. I quite enjoy the opportunity to learn more about everyone's vehicles when I charge or am waiting to charge.

I did get a bit of a shock recently: the new rapid charger in Colchester's football ground wants you to pay £5 for 16kW/h. I drove to waitrose instead and had a coffee while I waited for the 5% I needed to guarantee I got home.
Sam I know is a very small minority and I fully understand the needs of a Leaf as I hae had one for 3 years,but no matter the emergency I would never treat someone like that

·
Registered
1,882 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
W

I always find the best way to deal with people who are ranting is to say very little, If I turn up and there is a Tesla charging the only thing you will find annoying about me is all the questions I have about the car and wanting to have a sit in it! Ha ha.
Anytime you bump into me your more than welcome

·
Registered
1,882 Posts
Discussion Starter #11
"people like you can afford to charge elsewhere" - you have to love that logic. It's like saying Jaguar or Mercedes drivers aren't allowed to use Asda or Tesco fuel pumps because they can afford the prices at motorway filling stations!

"these are for leaf owners" - reply "Actually, these are for Ecotricity card holders, just like the one I have here"

"your not allowed to use these, Ecotricity are taking Tesla to court" - reply "Indeed they are, but I am not Tesla, nor do I work for Tesla, nor have Ecotricity issued a blanket-ban on Tesla drivers..."
Much as its tempting to repond to idiots like these with a factual response it rarely works hence my requirement for an extra coffee

·
Registered
2,155 Posts
Much as its tempting to repond to idiots like these with a factual response it rarely works hence my requirement for an extra coffee
Oh, I'm all talk when sat at the keyboard, I doubt I would have said that to his face! Like you, I expect I would have just walked away (not that I'm averse to a good argument but you pick your battles...)

Fortunately, I've yet to encounter anything like this. Most experiences of meeting other EV drivers have been very friendly, with a couple that were just disinterested in engaging but not rude or agressive.

·
Registered
2,626 Posts
Indeed.

I cannot imagine what he thought his strategy could possibly have achieved. The bare fact is that if you choose to drive the car beyond its range then you need to factor not just charging time but a little contingency into your planning.

Perhaps he spotted your car and what went through his mind were Grant's posts when he stumbled upon Henrik but even so there is no excuse for this kind of behaviour.

There is no doubt that more rapid charging is needed, as is slower, destination charging and there is no doubt that as EVs become more popular then we'll see more contention at chargers. Such is life.

The unfortunate things going on right now with Ecotricity and Tesla are a pain - the plain fact of the matter is that Tesla owners should have access to Superchargers and there really should be no exclusivity demanded by either party.

·
Registered
1,882 Posts
Discussion Starter #16
Don't forget though, this is only one side of the story. Would be interesting to hear it from the other side.
I would love to hear the other side of the story, I would like to understand exactly what I did to incur the wrath

·
Registered
1,566 Posts

There's a word for someone like that - bellend.

I'd have done exactly the same as you - walked off (slowly) back into the services, just to wind him up!

All it takes is a friendly wave, a smile, and possibly a polite 'how much longer do you think you'll be mate?'.

Fact is, you were with the car while it was charging.

He was running late? Tuff tits :D

·
Registered
394 Posts
I really hate these kind of threads. In fact, finding myself getting quite annoyed with a lot of content here at the moment for some reason. Probably time for a break me thinks.

·
Registered
158 Posts
Not too long ago we arrived at a rapid charger (in Stirling) and needed the charge not to get somewhere yet, but to allow us more time with some family members. Not that there was Tesla parked and using the charger, but a Renault Zoe. Kind of the same situation if these where for Leaf owners only (what nonsense).
What happened was that the owner of the Zoe opened the door and asked if we where desperate. After a short conversation he unplugged as he was fine and only 'topping up', we had a nice chat about electric driving, charging etc. As you said, he could have had the charger within a few minutes but decided to rant and rave. We have never (not yet) had anyone bad mouting or such like only people that are interested in your experience or that are interested in the car. Hope that I don't have to go to these situations and hope I can react the same way (I am only 160 cm, and not in the 'rugby' style).

·
Registered
Kona SE
1,216 Posts
This is a very sad tale as I have only ever met friendly and helpful people at the rapids I have used. Even where someone is topping up to the brim they have been most polite and enquired my range and situation.

In the usual "waiting and chatting time" I have met a couple of people who I feel had not properly assessed the restrictions of an EV (no plan B). It sounds like this Leaf driver might have been in that category with added stress. As the number of users increases it is inevitable that we will collect a few difficult ones along the way.

What about when the seriously competitive petrol-heads are forced by economics to convert? Will we see them racing across the service area parking in the way they duck and dive for the just-vacated petrol pump?

Full marks to OP for rising above it all even if it did mean enduring more coffee.

1 - 20 of 41 Posts