Speak EV - Electric Car Forums banner

1 - 20 of 70 Posts

·
Administrator
11,835 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
If you read the council twitter feed today anyway.

Screen Shot 2014-10-09 at 10.26.12.png

So rapids can charge EVs in 20 minutes now! Soon these people will be claiming 10 minutes, seriously?!

Also, isn't "Electric Highway" an Ecotricity trademark? As raised by @Matt Beard on twitter already/

Urgh. They really don't know what they're talking about. So frustrating.

·
Registered
616 Posts
So frustrating that councils seem to think they have done their job when they just hand it to their 'commercial partners' (chargemaster) and are basically saying, 'don't worry you can dictate where, when and how much and we'll make planning permission easy and cheap for you', meanwhile, who loses out?? The tax payer and consumer of course! AGGHH!!

·
Banned
1,128 Posts
Let's not forget these 50 rapid chargers are intended for Taxis, not consumers. If they were free for consumer use then they'd not be any use for Taxis... they'd be blocked all day by people charging 'because it's cheaper than at home'.

Electric Taxis are a good thing, no?

·
Administrator
11,835 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
Let's not forget these 50 rapid chargers are intended for Taxis, not consumers...

Electric Taxis are a good thing, no?
If they're self funded like C&C Taxis it's an absolutely brilliant idea, if I'm paying for it from my "taxes for taxis" then I'm not so sure.

·
Registered
616 Posts
Electric taxis are a great thing, but the environmental impact of the taxis in Milton Keynes are surely dwarfed by that of all the private ICE cars in use. It's just so frustrating that we all have a great opportunity to encourage the uptake of EV's, but the average punter will be looking at the price of chargers and saying to themselves 'Surely the ONLY benefit of running an EV is in cost savings?' - so if that argument is eroded then it will be putting potential ICE converts off at the starting grid. - We know that the cost savings are not the only benefit of driving an EV, chiefly environmental benefits and a great driving experience are what drew me to it. Cost savings are an added bonus.

·
Banned
1,128 Posts
There are still cost savings without free or cheap rapid chargers. EVs are predominantly charged at home and workplaces...

"It must be cheaper at all the places" doesn't add up - it's not necessary for it to be cheaper than petrol everywhere for there still to be significant cost savings.

The angry shouting on forums and twitter about 'EVs are more expensive than petrol!' is damaging to EV take-up because it reinforces a misconception about how charging takes place.

·
Registered
616 Posts
@fenlander I agree that EV's make most sense if charged at home or work, but that option might not be available to everyone, particularly in dense urban areas. I also understand that charging stations have to make commercial sense for the installer / operator but when you work out the per kWH prices of some of the chargers they seem to be extortionate. I'm very lucky in that I'm not exposed as an EV driver to these charges, 90% of my commuting / driving can be done from charges at home / work / Electric Highway (trademark) ;-) and it still frustrates me that in these early stages of adoption, there seems to be little in the way of pricing regulation by councils. - rant over - apologies :)

·
Administrator
11,835 Posts
Discussion Starter #11
but that option might not be available to everyone, particularly in dense urban areas
Which Milton Keynes does't have much of at all.

Most of the charging points are away from all the older, more densely populated areas where parking at home is a bigger issue (victorian terraces and such) and stuck outside shops, schools (new rapids) or out in the suburbs.

·
Banned
1,128 Posts
Yes, there are people (lots of them) who don't have somewhere to park overnight and charge, but that doesn't mean the whole system is broken. It likely just means that at this stage of development maybe an EV isn't the right choice for everyone, just a lot of people who do have somewhere to charge it. Those people need to be encouraged and helped to understand the cost savings involved - not have the misconception that charging is like filling up with petrol and they can only do it in public.

EVs *are* cheap to run, and expensive rapid charging is a great get-out-of-jail card when you really need it. It's a great answer to "what if I run out?".

·
Registered
2,155 Posts
To be honest it was the fact they're saying EVs can charge in 20 minutes that baffled me the most of all that stuff, it's just so misleading.
They don't say how *much* they can charge in 20 minutes, so it's technically correct, I suppose.

·
Registered
307 Posts
There are still cost savings without free or cheap rapid chargers. EVs are predominantly charged at home and workplaces...
There are but this is largely negated with the initial higher purchase price. You can easily purchase a new Hyundai i10 for £10k instead of an EV and have plenty of change left over for fuel and maintenance. It would be more than capable of doing the MK commute and qualify for cheap city centre parking. Overall ownership cost of an EV really does need to be cheaper in order to make it an attractive proposition for the masses.

·
Administrator
11,835 Posts
Discussion Starter #16
There are but this is largely negated with the initial higher purchase price. You can easily purchase a new Hyundai i10 for £10k instead of an EV and have plenty of change left over for fuel and maintenance. It would be more than capable of doing the MK commute and qualify for cheap city centre parking. Overall ownership cost of an EV really does need to be cheaper in order to make it an attractive proposition for the masses.
Certainly I think when it comes to the "city car" proposal, which with their range is what EVs mostly focus on. City cars are small and affordable, and ever more so it seems. EVs need to compete better in this area to really take off.

·
Super Moderator
6,360 Posts
If as has been said before that no company can make a business model profitable by charging per kWh how is there ever going to be a way to run rapids at all.
If people are willing to pay about 20p over their home rate for the rapid network a company would make may thousands of small profits.
If there are a few that will use the network at cost like CM's in an emergency the company's would be making a few large profits.
Neither looks like a business opportunity that I would put before the Dragon's, but you can be sure they would throw you out if you presented the second option.

·
Banned
1,128 Posts
If people are willing to pay about 20p over their home rate for the rapid network a company would make may thousands of small profits.
20p over their home rate, say that gives 35p per kWh, fair? (Ecotricity day rate is 15.9p)
80% charge in 30 minutes, so 18kWh * 35p is £6.30. Add in VAT and you get £7.50 ish.

I've heard that number somewhere before.

·
Driving yet another EV!
2,884 Posts
20p over their home rate, say that gives 35p per kWh, fair? (Ecotricity day rate is 15.9p)
80% charge in 30 minutes, so 18kWh * 35p is £6.30. Add in VAT and you get £7.50 ish.

I've heard that number somewhere before.
Except that I would be surprised to find a CHAdeMO or CCS car that can get 18kWh in under 30 minutes - my car takes in about half that in half an hour.

1 - 20 of 70 Posts