Speak EV - Electric Car Forums banner
1 - 20 of 24 Posts

·
Premium Member
8,939 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
As a rule I avoid the centre of Milton Keynes at the weekend. It's a nightmare, really busy car parks, too many people, just horrible.

Today I popped up for two reasons, one is I have to go in next week and wanted to check where there "fast" chargers were at, and two, we had a lot of bits of bobs we needed to buy.

So anyway, we pop into there, checking out the charge points as we go...

I have to say I was slightly disturbed by how many of the non-exclusive parking spaces were ICEd, however, even the "exclusive" ones were, including one car I'm SURE I've seen a number of times parked in charging bays only that isn't an EV.

What is the point of charge bays if you can't charge, and you can't check beforehand if they're occupied? The answer, in reality, is VERY LITTLE.

Gah!

·
Registered
Mitsubishi Outlander PHEV Juro (2018)
112 Posts
pardon my complete lack of trendiness and boundless ignorance for your culture but what does ICE stand for? :)

·
Registered
Mitsubishi Outlander PHEV Juro (2018)
112 Posts
a glossary for us newbees would be ace, so we can talk with the big boys ;)

maybe there's one build-in?

had a script for phpbb once that auto-added explanations to terms, or was it wordpress? anyway. nice to have

·
Registered
57 Posts
I actually emailed MK council about the icing, even sent pictures. They basically said that there was nothing they could do. They do some enforcement during normal hours but that is it. After 1800 it is basically a free for all.

I was going to reply and suggest that a council that was applying for a bunch of new funding to support EVs might want to make more of an effort to make their area of responsibility a little more EV friendly, but realised I couldn't be arsed and that it would probably be a waste of my time.

·
Registered
604 Posts
Meh. I haven't plugged my Ampera in once in public since the crappy pricing came in a year ago. I've used far more petrol, but saved a chunk of cash.

But I happily use the EV spaces in CMK. It feels dumb blocking them, but hey - if the electricity was cheaper than petrol I'd plug in...

I don't think I've seen more than 10 plug-ins in the last year.

·
Conflicted Ecoworrier/Petrolhead
2,580 Posts
#militantevers.
Its coming once I define what it is. But it will be on the 6 o'clock news and ICErs will never park in EV spots again for fear of being inconvenienced.

It goes something like this...

EVer (PHEV/REX included) turns up to charge and find a spot ICEd.
Send message via social media.
Someone with a near empty BEV volunteers to turn up.
Parks across the back of ICEr and plugs in with extension lead leaving a message "back in 5 minutes" on ICErs window and charge cable.
EVer who discovered the situation or the BEVer, sits "near" the car waiting for ICEr to return.
As soon as the ICEr looks like they are fed up/about to reverse into the EV or unplug, turns up and says "Sorry... I'm on empty and also needed the loo. Had no choice" Bollox bollox etc.
All recorded by a third party - one of the 2 EVers to collect income from anybody who thinks getting arsey/fisty is a way to deal with things as an adult.

£250/TV Show or unlimited on damages in a court case.

·
Registered
57 Posts
I did kind of try this once. I was pretty desperate. I parked a cross the back of two ICE cars that were blocking the xscape rapid. I used my type 2 cable that came with the Zoe to extend the cable in the rapid. Unfortunately when I tried to use the rapid I discoveted that AC was offline. :(

Personally I like the idea of doing this. It is likely to cause some confrontation, which is not ideal. I think he better option wood be to lobby the councils to actually protect the EV spaces, but I am not sure they will be possible.

Happy to join in with your plan in the meantime.

·
Registered
964 Posts
So council is charged with responsibility of spending tax payer cash to install all types of chargers by Whitehall but only to "Encourage the uptake of EVs" in Transport Minister spin speak. (Note: no mention of any chargers ever actually having to charge cars in the official statement!).

Along comes grant mining company Chargemaster.

Regarding OLEV's call for evidence;

Despite more government money being spent on EV charging in this council's area than anywhere else in the UK (maybe world?)

If council can discharge its responsibility this easily by handing over all cash to one recipient and ticking box,
EV drivers can still discharge car looking for a working ICE free charger before they can ever successfully park and charge it.

Until functional, reliable and ICE free let's call them what they are, Dischargepoints as supplied by Dischargemaster.

·
Registered
446 Posts
Perhaps a sticker campaign would be best initially.
You know, those stickers that stick on the windscreen really well and are a right pain to get off. :D
Add your own message.....

·
Registered
14 Posts
Sky Plant Cloud Road surface Asphalt

Having been an EV owner for all of 10 weeks, and only charged either at home of the local free 7kWh Tesco, I thought I would use a journey taking me past Milton Keynes to have a go with something more powerful. The Ionity chargers at Milton Keynes Coachway appeared to be what I needed so I punched the direction into the satnav - which pretty much said 'you have arrived' when I reached this point above, well after dark on a Sunday evening. There is absolutely no indication about what to do from here. I nearly drove into the bus station! Anyway, I took a punt on hanging to the right and found myself in a car park that was pitch black apart from the nearby bus station, and also devoid of anything but exit signs. I eventually spotted some vaguely promising blue lights and found 4 by 7 kWh chargers reminiscent of what I can use for free at Tesco. Having got this far, and with my dashboard beating me up that I really ought to charge, even though I should arrive home with 18 miles of range left, I started charging.
I took the opportunity to investigate the remainder of the car park, and in the remotest, darkest corner, what should I see but a hub containing both 50 kWh BP Pulse and 350 kWh Ionity chargers. I unhitched and drove over - only to be beaten to the last available place on the 350s (4 chargers, one out of action). So I settled for the 50 kWh. With some trepidation I waved my RFID card at the charger and was greeted with 'accepted'. I grabbed the first cable and now know what the CHAdeMO pin arrangement looks like. The second cable was no better, but the third cable was CCS - happy days. I had pulled in nose first to put the charging port as close as possible, but it's on the driver's side - and the cable was too short. Fortunately there were no cars parked anywhere near, so I reversed and approached across 3 bays at an angle to place the port nearer to the charger. Just as I was about to connect up, the charger decided I was dawdling too much and the display through up a red cross. Never mind, I got out my RFID and waved it at the charger once more, but the red 'X' wouldn't go away. Never mind, plenty more chargers, so I manoeuvered to the next one along - which resolutely refused to accept the same RFID that its neighbour had happily accepted (on the first attempt at least) 5 minutes earlier!
Looking around, I noticed the the red 'X' had now disappeared from the screen of charger that had so recently accused me of dawdling. Oh well, I repositioned the car to where it had been a couple of minutes earlier (stioll atking up 3 bays), and represented my RFID card - which was accepted. I connected up and charging started. It was at that point that a vehicle pulled away from one of the 3 working Ionity chargers. Given that the whole purpose of my visit was to experience the delights of flat out charging, I decided to move.
Someone standing beside his charging vehicle advised me, "whatever you do, don't connect up before registering your card". In my case, that didn't work, but I was soon happily watching the gauge climb up to a charging rate of 150kWh. 12 minutes later I was able to disconnect and head off home.
I thnk the moral of this story, is public high speed charging can be as frought as one reads about all too often, and don't set off for an important journey without at least practising beforehand. Oh yes, and Milton Keynes is probably best avoided - but you didn't need this sorry tale to learn that!

·
Registered
Elmo Referral: AdamT50 (£50 off one month for both of us)
403 Posts
Some of the EV Spaces in Milton Keynes are “EV Charging Only” 7am - 10am and then anyone can park in them. I think.

Which in itself is rather stupid.

·
Registered
417 Posts
Oh yes, and Milton Keynes is probably best avoided - but you didn't need this sorry tale to learn that!
Oh and make comments about whole towns on the basis of your experience in a car park on the outskirts which was bad because you didn’t know what you were doing.

·
Registered
14 Posts
Oh and make comments about whole towns on the basis of your experience in a car park on the outskirts which was bad because you didn’t know what you were doing.
I think anyone reading my piece will realise where my tongue was when I wrote the final sentence. Equally, MK Council own the car park in question, and I would suggest they deserve a rap on the knuckles for allowing a major charging facility to be placed in a car park with obviously inadequate signage to and within it, and zero illumination after dark. Who knows, perhaps MK Council may visit this forum and decide to do something about it. As @ajtaylor also pointed out, should any council allow spaces needed for charging to be used for general parking for 21 hours a day, one is compelled to ask if it has a good attitude to supporting the EV revolution.
Some of my newbie errors and associated problems were clearly not MK related - just exacerbated by the difficulties of attempting to charge in a poorly signed and illuminated place.

·
Registered
2,554 Posts
Some of the EV Spaces in Milton Keynes are “EV Charging Only” 7am - 10am and then anyone can park in them. I think. Which in itself is rather stupid.
Maybe an attempt to accommodate people connecting up just before 10pm and then picking up the car at 7am ...?

·
Registered
417 Posts
As @ajtaylor also pointed out, should any council allow spaces needed for charging to be used for general parking for 21 hours a day,
No, and they don’t. You can’t believe everything you read.

one is compelled to ask if it has a good attitude to supporting the EV revolution.
I couldn’t comment on other councils but how many run an EV experience centre to help people understand and try EVs?

Are there a lot of places with chargers placed so densely that they overlap each other on the map?
Photograph White Rectangle Light World

I appreciate you are new to this but if this is not up to your standard, you’re in for a lot of disappointments!

Anyway, welcome to the revolution.

1 - 20 of 24 Posts