Speak EV - Electric Car Forums banner

1 - 13 of 13 Posts

·
Administrator
11,835 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
As a rule I avoid the centre of Milton Keynes at the weekend. It's a nightmare, really busy car parks, too many people, just horrible.

Today I popped up for two reasons, one is I have to go in next week and wanted to check where there "fast" chargers were at, and two, we had a lot of bits of bobs we needed to buy.

So anyway, we pop into there, checking out the charge points as we go...

I have to say I was slightly disturbed by how many of the non-exclusive parking spaces were ICEd, however, even the "exclusive" ones were, including one car I'm SURE I've seen a number of times parked in charging bays only that isn't an EV.

What is the point of charge bays if you can't charge, and you can't check beforehand if they're occupied? The answer, in reality, is VERY LITTLE.

Gah!

·
Registered
97 Posts
pardon my complete lack of trendiness and boundless ignorance for your culture but what does ICE stand for? :)

·
Registered
97 Posts
a glossary for us newbees would be ace, so we can talk with the big boys ;)

maybe there's one build-in?

had a script for phpbb once that auto-added explanations to terms, or was it wordpress? anyway. nice to have

·
Registered
71 Posts
I actually emailed MK council about the icing, even sent pictures. They basically said that there was nothing they could do. They do some enforcement during normal hours but that is it. After 1800 it is basically a free for all.

I was going to reply and suggest that a council that was applying for a bunch of new funding to support EVs might want to make more of an effort to make their area of responsibility a little more EV friendly, but realised I couldn't be arsed and that it would probably be a waste of my time.

·
Registered
697 Posts
Meh. I haven't plugged my Ampera in once in public since the crappy pricing came in a year ago. I've used far more petrol, but saved a chunk of cash.

But I happily use the EV spaces in CMK. It feels dumb blocking them, but hey - if the electricity was cheaper than petrol I'd plug in...

I don't think I've seen more than 10 plug-ins in the last year.

·
Conflicted Ecoworrier/Petrolhead
3,225 Posts
#militantevers.
Its coming once I define what it is. But it will be on the 6 o'clock news and ICErs will never park in EV spots again for fear of being inconvenienced.

It goes something like this...

EVer (PHEV/REX included) turns up to charge and find a spot ICEd.
Send message via social media.
Someone with a near empty BEV volunteers to turn up.
Parks across the back of ICEr and plugs in with extension lead leaving a message "back in 5 minutes" on ICErs window and charge cable.
EVer who discovered the situation or the BEVer, sits "near" the car waiting for ICEr to return.
As soon as the ICEr looks like they are fed up/about to reverse into the EV or unplug, turns up and says "Sorry... I'm on empty and also needed the loo. Had no choice" Bollox bollox etc.
All recorded by a third party - one of the 2 EVers to collect income from anybody who thinks getting arsey/fisty is a way to deal with things as an adult.

£250/TV Show or unlimited on damages in a court case.

·
Registered
71 Posts
I did kind of try this once. I was pretty desperate. I parked a cross the back of two ICE cars that were blocking the xscape rapid. I used my type 2 cable that came with the Zoe to extend the cable in the rapid. Unfortunately when I tried to use the rapid I discoveted that AC was offline. :(

Personally I like the idea of doing this. It is likely to cause some confrontation, which is not ideal. I think he better option wood be to lobby the councils to actually protect the EV spaces, but I am not sure they will be possible.

Happy to join in with your plan in the meantime.

·
Registered
1,160 Posts
So council is charged with responsibility of spending tax payer cash to install all types of chargers by Whitehall but only to "Encourage the uptake of EVs" in Transport Minister spin speak. (Note: no mention of any chargers ever actually having to charge cars in the official statement!).

Along comes grant mining company Chargemaster.

Regarding OLEV's call for evidence;

Despite more government money being spent on EV charging in this council's area than anywhere else in the UK (maybe world?)

If council can discharge its responsibility this easily by handing over all cash to one recipient and ticking box,
EV drivers can still discharge car looking for a working ICE free charger before they can ever successfully park and charge it.

Until functional, reliable and ICE free let's call them what they are, Dischargepoints as supplied by Dischargemaster.

·
Registered
499 Posts
Perhaps a sticker campaign would be best initially.
You know, those stickers that stick on the windscreen really well and are a right pain to get off. :D
Add your own message.....

1 - 13 of 13 Posts