Speak EV - Electric Car Forums banner

1 - 20 of 77 Posts

·
Registered
841 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I've read this thread Milton Keynes : what exactly is the deal with EV parking ?

and I'm more confused than when I started.

We're going there imminently, and I don't have any permits and no time to get one, but I do have polar plus and a leaf so definitely qualify as an EV and can plug into the 'hive'.

We're only looking to park/charge for shopping for maybe 3 hours. Last time we parked outside debenhams and paid about £6 while plugged in because it was a premium spot apparently.

- did we need to pay?
- can you park for free without one of these permits? In that same place? Is it to do with the colour of the spaces? I think it was pink there or something.
- can you get a permit (if you need one!) immediately?

Can't see us being regular visitors so if it's hard to get permits, parking I imagine we'll just pay but it felt like we probably didnt need to!

Not sure why it has to be so difficult, especially when the council page linked in the other thread has been deleted which isnt helpful lol.

Cheers guys!!

·
Registered
2,387 Posts
It is a mess. I applied for the free parking permit, but you don't get a permit, they just log your reg number. I've contacted them to change the vehicle when I got a new Leaf, so...

I'm never really sure if I go and park there I won't get ticketed because my membership has run out at some unspecified date.

·
Registered
57 Posts
The Permit is almost instant now as they no longer issue a card. You just get an email.
Applied one late at night and had permit the next day. Not sure if I was just luck or it is the norm

·
Registered
841 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
Phew. I heard nothing but rang them up at which point they told me there's an online system that's instant.
So I did it. It worked.

Parking Permits - Apply Here - Milton Keynes Council

or direct link

https://easipermits.vincipark.co.uk/EasiPermits_MiltonKeynes/index.aspx

for anyone who needs it. The v5 has to be <1mb so make sure you have that scanned and saved at <1mb before you start as it's quite tricky to compress a pdf!

It gave me a number in the end starting with a G so I'll plonk that on the dashboard to avoid any "confusion" by traffic wardens :)

·
Registered
255 Posts
^^^^ Exactly this. The wardens are actually quite friendly and approachable. My experience is that if you're plugged in they don't even give you a second look.

MK is very pro and welcoming to EVs and I suspect it's bad PR to do anything but leave them be.

I hope I'm not tempting fate now.....

·
Registered
841 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
if you're charging, parking is free - simples.
Is that with or without a permit though, because I was to understand we need a permit (which I've now got) to get free parking while charging....

....and we're still not allowed to park in the red, cyan, olive, pomegranate or artichoke flavo...coloured spaces for free.

(seriously just the red ones).

Simples isn't the word that comes to mind but I suppose once you get the hang of it maybe.

Weird place, MK. Generally.

·
Registered
255 Posts
With a "green permit" you can park for free in purple bays (not red).

You can park for free anywhere if you are plugged in and charging, no permit required.

It's that simple......

Out of interest, where do you live?

·
Registered
841 Posts
Discussion Starter · #10 ·
With a "green permit" you can park for free in purple bays (not red).

You can park for free anywhere if you are plugged in and charging, no permit required.

It's that simple......

Out of interest, where do you live?
the midlands - I know, glass house, throwing stones, but MK is definitely weird even by the standards round here. Redditch is a bit like an inferior copy I suppose ;)

I wish I'd had that snippet of info earlier, because I will be plugged in. Oh well! I guess if I cant get a charging space at least I can still park for free now lol

·
Registered
255 Posts
I'd be very surprised if you don't get a space, there's more charging posts that you can shake a stick at!

I'm not wedded to MK by any means (I actually live 20 mins away in a place nobody has ever heard of) but it's a very vibrant, forward thinking place, EVs are very much welcomed and luckily traffic wardens just ignore EVs - I guess it's bad PR! It has its fair share or problems though like everywhere I guess. The new EV centre of excellence is going to be built soon and it's good to see the autonomous driving trials taking place.

I saw a warden ticketing a BMW with a blue badge today that was ICEing so someone has started the weekend off in a worse mood than me!

Don't forget to take a look at the concrete cows! ;)

·
Funny brownish i3 (has all the bits and bobs)
99 Posts
Even with the free EV parking, i still see two cars paying over £6 a day to park at the station in a private car park. One's an Ampera the other a Tesla - 20 meters away they could be parking for free.

·
Registered
841 Posts
Discussion Starter · #13 ·
Even with the free EV parking, i still see two cars paying over £6 a day to park at the station in a private car park. One's an Ampera the other a Tesla - 20 meters away they could be parking for free.
yes! we did last time except we paid in the car park that was actually free. How would we have known, it's not written anywhere obvious if it's even written anywhere at all?

·
Registered
3,756 Posts
What a total load of rubbish.

Just wasted ten minutes applying online for the MK "Green" permit, only to be informed at the end of the process that it's cost is £195 pa.

Permit number flashed up on screen for about two seconds then I was redirected to the payments page, where I was invited to enter my credit card details in order to pay £195.

Working through their online form, having selected Nissan then LEAF, the fuel type only gives two options : ICE vehicle - under 75g CO2/km and 100g/km or below

The Leaf is most definately NOT an ICE, so I selected 100g/km or below, as 0 emissions is certainly below 100g.
Why don't they just include ELECTRICITY as a fuel type option ?

After uploading a PDF copy of my V5 and clicking SAVE VEHICLE the uploaded file shows as being stored however all of the details I'd previously entered on the page have been deleted.

Been through this process twice now, and on both occasions I get the message that the GREEN permit will cost me £195

About time the Government got nasty with these councils constantly falling down on the job.

·
Registered
795 Posts
I rbonk
What a total load of rubbish.

Just wasted ten minutes applying online for the MK "Green" permit, only to be informed at the end of the process that it's cost is £195 pa.

Permit number flashed up on screen for about two seconds then I was redirected to the payments page, where I was invited to enter my credit card details in order to pay £195.

Working through their online form, having selected Nissan then LEAF, the fuel type only gives two options : ICE vehicle - under 75g CO2/km and 100g/km or below

The Leaf is most definately NOT an ICE, so I selected 100g/km or below, as 0 emissions is certainly below 100g.
Why don't they just include ELECTRICITY as a fuel type option ?

After uploading a PDF copy of my V5 and clicking SAVE VEHICLE the uploaded file shows as being stored however all of the details I'd previously entered on the page have been deleted.

Been through this process twice now, and on both occasions I get the message that the GREEN permit will cost me £195

About time the Government got nasty with these councils constantly falling down on the job.
If I remember you need to select the under 75g/km, it threw me also why they didnt have electric when i was filling it out.
Then it was free.

·
Registered
3,756 Posts
Just worked through the process for the third time and decided (logically) that if the previous fuel type selection didn't work (twice) then I would have to (illogically) select the only other option : ICE vehicle - under 75g/km

Nonsense that I should have to do this, and then tick a box confirming that the information I've given is true (with a threat of prosecution for giving false information) as clearly the LEAF is not an ICE vehicle.
So in law I am now guilty of making a false declaration, due to their incompetence.
I double dare Milton Keynes Council to take me to Court over this.
The expenses I incur will be awarded by the Court, plus no doubt a little on top for the ag I'll have suffered.
Another way of wasting resident's money.

Maybe they have deliberately set the system up like this to actually make it impossible for anyone to actually get one of these FREE "Green" permits.
Greenwash, I think it is called. Brag to all and sundry about how green you are, but make it impossible (by following the rules 100%) for anyone to actually take advantage of the scheme.

At the end of the £0 process I was given a permit number, when will I receive some sort of confirmation ?

I requested that the permit be valid from today's date, but in the absence of a confirmation am reluctant to go park there today.
Why allow the applicant to select today's date if your system is unable to fully process the application that day, whether that be because it's the weekend, or any other reason ?

·
Registered
3,756 Posts
I rbonk

If I remember you need to select the under 75g/km, it threw me also why they didnt have electric when i was filling it out.
Then it was free.
There is no under 75g/km option

The option you are referring to actually reads (as of this morning) :

ICE vehicle - under 75g/km

Not relevant for the Leaf.

Had to apply using this ICE option.

UNREAL, the incompetence of public bodies in this country.

Milton Keynes ULEV, or BEV friendly ? Don't make me laugh. They clearly don't even understand what a BEV is.

·
Registered
795 Posts
I
There is no under 75g/km option

The option you are referring to actually reads (as of this morning) :

ICE vehicle - under 75g/km

Not relevant for the Leaf.

Had to apply using this ICE option.

UNREAL, the incompetence of public bodies in this country.

Milton Keynes ULEV, or BEV friendly ? Don't make me laugh. They clearly don't even understand what a BEV is.
Was going by your post.. i remember the same issue and ice under 75g/km being the one that had to be selected.

·
Registered
2,387 Posts
Yep. I had an issue locally (Bedford) where there was no enforcement of Electric Only charging bays, meaning they were always ICE'd. I phoned the local traffic department at the council and got through to the girl on the desk, who is clearly there to prevent calls getting through to anyone else. I spent ages on the phone to her trying to explain and kept getting the "Well, do they have a valid parking ticket?" response. In the end I gave up and asked for one of the engineers to call me back, which they eventually did (after the second request) and the conversation was very similar - they simply couldn't comprehend why someone with a valid parking ticket couldn't use the EV bays.

In the end, I emailed my local councillor who responded by email and the first line was "Yes, we really need to get something done about this ..." - and he did.

·
Registered
218 Posts
I do feel some sympathy for public bodies.....I find it's normally the incompetence of the public that is the issue, not the Councils, etc.....

If you come to MK, just park in a charging bay that is not 'Reserved' for parking, if you are unable to apply for the free permit. Or just don't bother coming, you'd only use up a space that someone else could use.......

1 - 20 of 77 Posts