Speak EV - Electric Car Forums banner

1 - 20 of 37 Posts

·
Registered
3,308 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
It looks like I need to take a train out of MK in a couple of weeks, and naturally want to leave my Ampera charging whilst away for the day. Likely to be parking about 06:30, and returning around 19:30-20:00.

Trying to figure out how the parking works and what it costs.
Is it just me, or is it the most confusing system in the country?
The MK website and the polar app say completely different things !

As I will be gone for 14 hours, I don't want to get stung for 14 hours at £1.70 for charging !

Any ideas from any of the Milton Keynesians on here ??

Cheers

Lee

·
Administrator
11,835 Posts
Do you want to charge the car or not? If you do you'll get stung. If not I can tell you a couple of free parking spaces not too far from the station, or you can pay a local (charitible) organisation about £5 to park for the day (but again, no charging).

·
Registered
3,308 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Well ideally I want to charge, and the MK website hints at free parking with £1.50 per hour for charging, based only on that time you are charging. That works out to £6 for a full days parking with free electric, to my mind.
However I can't find anything to back that up !

·
Registered
449 Posts
If you use the app you can stop starting remotely after 2-4 hours and only get charged for that. I believe you won't be issued a pcn as long as you're connected

·
Administrator
11,835 Posts
Go for the prices on the polar/Chargemaster site, not the MK one. If you're going to be plugged in there's plenty of choice but I think all the ones closer to the station, if not MK wide, are 7 kWh ones so consider that when I comes to pricing. They say the charges are for plugged in time, but evidence here suggest it's actually the time you draw a charge. I don't know.

·
Registered
3,308 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
Thanks chaps, I wasn't sure how it was working out in the real world, but a good point about the app and remotely stopping it :)

It seems the costs are £1.70 and hour at 7kw, which is fine for me. After all it's still probably less than parking charges alone !

·
Administrator
11,835 Posts
Parking is free for plug in cars / EVs, so not in that case. Full days parking is £5 or £6 just outside the station, so depends how many hours you want to charge for.

Remember this goes out the window if you've not already armed your account as it'll cose £20 min in that case.

·
Registered
3,308 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
Armed and ready ! Signed up to the app and loaded £20 to use a free charger a few weeks back. Was surprised when the rfid card turned up in the post :)

·
Super Moderator
6,360 Posts
Don't forget the ampera has a maintinance cycle when plugged in, I often go outside at home and our volt is making all sorts of noises. If it does that all day the post might charge you as if you have been charging all day. Big bill, it would be far cheaper to find free parking and walk or pay the standard parking charge then use petrol on the way home. I don't know if it will work but I forgot to turn off delayed charging about a year ago and the connection did not show up on my charge master account info.

·
Registered
3,308 Posts
Discussion Starter #12
I did wonder about the continuous maintenance cycle.
If i do it with the app, the. I can kill it at 4 hours remotely. So now I just need to find a charger at 06:30ish in the morning! Gotta hope they aren't ice'd at that time of day ;)

·
Administrator
11,835 Posts
If i do it with the app, the. I can kill it at 4 hours remotely. So now I just need to find a charger at 06:30ish in the morning! Gotta hope they aren't ice'd at that time of day ;)
Easy. Lazy ICErs aren't usually up by then.

·
Registered
307 Posts
At that time, all chargers should be available. I'd go with the ones by the Travelodge or across the road as they're closest to the train station.

·
Registered
6,779 Posts
Just wondering if you have to use MK station? I know that runs down into Euston or I am guessing you're shooting for the fast train up to Manchester ... thinking laterally is there anywhere else you could pick up the train?

·
Registered
3,308 Posts
Discussion Starter #17
Just wondering if you have to use MK station? I know that runs down into Euston or I am guessing you're shooting for the fast train up to Manchester ... thinking laterally is there anywhere else you could pick up the train?
Heading to Manchester. As in coming from Cambridge, it's pretty much the best place to join it.

·
Registered
3,308 Posts
Discussion Starter #19
What an awesome place MK is!
More charge points on one street than most cities have in total!
Got parked up ok, started the charge with the app, and remotely stopped it at 4 hours.
Didn't quite make the journey to MK on a full charge :(
But made it home with 2 miles to spare and broke the 50 mile mark. Weirdly the journey was quicker too, so it must have been downhill on the way back ;)

Total journey 102 miles. £6.56 for electric and £1.12 in petrol :)

·
Registered
1,231 Posts
"What an awesome place MK is!"

I'd beg to differ. Milton Keynes is a mundane, tedious place which is much better as you are heading out of it.

Here are some places that are high up on my list for awesomeness:-

Pretty much any Scottish island off its west coast.
Most of Wales.
Lots of the Scottish mainland.
Bishop's Castle.
Northumberland, especially the Coast & Castles cycle route
several other places which will occur to me later.

This post may contain traces of Fuller's Golden Pride, which is currently on special offer at Waitrose and is 8.5% alcohohohohol.

Cheers!

1 - 20 of 37 Posts