Speak EV - Electric Car Forums banner

1 - 14 of 14 Posts

·
Registered
1,777 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
So what can you tell me about the MK chargers? are they exactly as described here http://www.milton-keynes.gov.uk/mkparki ... p?ID=73757
Do they still need a £50 membership? I'm headiong down to MK tomorrow, but I'm not paying £50 a year for one or two visits! Grrr... are there any that dont need membership? or any carparks where the attendant has a fob?

And is the parking really free even if I dont charge? am I supposed to just block a bay? sounds daft. but so is £50 membership.

·
Registered
145 Posts
Parax, are you a member of Polar and Podpoint? as they both have charging bays in central Milton Keynes.
Have always plugged in but would be nervous in getting a ticket if I didn't. It does imply it is OK providing your Plug-in electric car is parked in a charging bay, I'm not prepared to test it.
I have only used Polar as that is the only one mentioned for membership on their web site. not sure where the £50 membership came from either.
Clarification would help, any help would be appreciated. :?
Thanks

·
Registered
1,777 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
No I haven't forked out for any membership schemes, If I joined them all every year, it'd be cheaper to run a petrol car!!
I do have an ecotricity card as it was free.

The £50 chargemaster registration fee comes from that link I posted to the MK council site.

I have an email from the council parking department stating that parking in the electric car bays is free for electric cars, even if I'm not a chargemaster member.. so we shall see...

We really need open charging!!

·
Registered
145 Posts
Thanks Parax for the clarification on free parking in electric bays without being wired up in MK.
I have one card from Ecotricity (free), another from Podpoint @ £10 and another from Polar @ £10 which I find covers most places.
I agree with you about the yearly cost of the cards, they can mount up destroying any benefits gained by charging on the hoof, hence only the 3 cards.
Polar membership was originally £50, maybe MK council have not updated their web site.

·
Militant EV driver!
4,937 Posts
MK's scheme was originally £50 a year and the hardware was provided by Chargemaster - but to be clear this was not run by Chargemaster, it was MK council.

However, I believe they now have a roaming agreement with POLAR so if you have the Polar £10 card you are able to use it.

·
Registered
5,194 Posts
Brian Matthews said:
Thanks Parax for the clarification on free parking in electric bays without being wired up in MK.
I have one card from Ecotricity (free), another from Podpoint @ £10 and another from Polar @ £10 which I find covers most places.
I agree with you about the yearly cost of the cards, they can mount up destroying any benefits gained by charging on the hoof, hence only the 3 cards.
Polar membership was originally £50, maybe MK council have not updated their web site.
Likewise Oxford Council haven't updated their website ( http://www.oxford.gov.uk/PageRender/dec ... #richtext1 ) although I emailed them about it.

·
Registered
1,777 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
So, Although I was not able to charge in MK the free parking was welcomed although the bays were nearly all iced, 12th spot was free.. 3rd charging area I checked. lots of chargers available in blocks of 4 spaces.

No ticket on the car meant one of two things, either the wardens check types or no Warden went past dring my visit to the shopping centre.

·
Registered
138 Posts
Living in MK I can assure you there would have been wardens patrolling!

I've never charged from one of the points as it's only about 4 miles in to the centre for me but I've parked up there a few times and seen may Wardens walk by as I watched a DVD while the wife "shopped".

I've also advised the Council about the need to update their website but without success

Good news is, however, that their Plugged-in-Places grant offer of up to 75% to install a home charger can now be bettered by using the British Gas/Chargemaster FOC offer. It is, however taking a bit of time waiting for BG to find "Suitable qualified resources" to carry out the install. It's been nearly two months since I signed up but the installation date has been cancelled twice. Don't feel I can complain much as I'm not paying anything for it though.

Big Paul

·
Registered
145 Posts
I checked with a traffic warden in MK and they go by whats written on the tax disc whether to allow free parking in a high price bay. I always plug in to be on the safe side.
Great news about free home charger from British Gas/Polar in exchange for your charging habits over 3 years but offer depends on your post code.

·
Registered
68 Posts
I live in MK and have been in touch with the Council a few times on the free parking, in particular because there is a sign on a post near the John Lewis charging bays that specifically says the free parking is for electric only vehicles. Anyway, I got an email confirmation that all the bays are indeed free and that the wardens are aware that a vehicle like the Ampera qualifies for free parking. I was given the name of someone to contact if I was erroneously given a ticket, for reassurance. I find it annoying when an electric bay is taken by a paying motorist when there are an abundance of other spare places they could have gone to but understand the principle of not reserving for us. It is great to get out and not pay!

·
Registered
145 Posts
I can see why from 10am to 4pm any car can park in the electric bays so as not to leave empty spaces just on the off chance that an electric car might turn up. However, it is annoying not to find an empty charging space during these core hours.
I was told that I had to park in an electric bay to get the free parking. Would be great if we can park for free in any bay which simplifies the rules.

·
Registered
138 Posts
I wanted to charge up at MK centre yesterday and having arrived at about 5.15 PM I was surprised to find 4 "electric bays" I'd not been near before,filled with regular cars.

The signs as best I could understand them suggested the times for EV use were 6PM until 7AM which is different to other bays I looked at a few weeks ago.

Anyway I parked (and paid) in a regiular bay but when I returned at about 7.00PM the EV bays were still occupied so I think I need to do more research!

Good news, however is that my FOC British Gas / Polar home charging unit was installed on Tuesday this week and is working fine and well worth waiting for. It's not so bad living with the concrete cows!!

Big Paul

·
Registered
68 Posts
My Polar home charger is due to be installed next Monday, good to benefit from so free incentives!
Th regular cars at 5.15 should be liable for parking fines I think, but I'm not sure how well it is monitored at that ti of day. Generally the wardens are out in force in MK!

·
Administrator
11,835 Posts
Apologies to dig up such an old conversation> I just thought it interesting to read this thread from a year ago, considering how they're making some changes, but so many things are still VERY short of perfect in MK (where I live).

1 - 14 of 14 Posts