Speak EV - Electric Car Forums banner

1 - 20 of 39 Posts

·
I'm not crazy, the attack has begun.
30,251 Posts
Ah that magic 49g/km figure.

This is all it is about. It is a NEDC defeat.

They wouldn't give a toss if it had only half a mile of EV range, so long as they got 49g/km on the NEDC... and g/km when used in 'the real world'?.... who cares!?

·
Registered
772 Posts
Just another car getting around legislation whilst getting all the perks -

I hope the gov stamps on these fast ! but i doubt they will because they are afraid of upsetting the jobs cow.

·
Registered
9,199 Posts
No criticism of anyone who buys a MINI as I believe they are well engineered generally and good to drive, but these inflated versions are really ugly - about the only resemblance I can see to the original Mini is the badge.

A rolling carbuncle.

J
I absolutely agree. It's quite an interesting question though: given a product designed to evoke memories of a former genuine classic, what is the most compelling and appropriate way to do so? Jaguar for a long time had problems retaining the "Jaguarness" of their cars, before finally settling on a design approach that I think is quite successful but does not unduly hark back.

VW have the same challenge with their Beetle, that is more or less successful visually but has zero resemblance with the underlying character of the original -- same for Fiat 500.

Mini meanwhile (or should I say MINI?) has been clinging on to the original with its fingernails almost since the reincarnation happened. About the only thing the first models had in common with the original was the so-called go-kart handling, which I know @Paul will speak highly of.

But other than that, instead of superficial stylistic cues it should really have followed the efficiently-packaged spirit of the original in a genuinely tiny car. I think the Smart car is actually a worthier successor to the Mini than any of today's MINIs

·
Registered
Tesla Model 3 SR+
1,567 Posts
Just another car getting around legislation whilst getting all the perks -

I hope the gov stamps on these fast ! but i doubt they will because they are afraid of upsetting the jobs cow.
Would you prefer people to buy the diesel version?

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

·
Zoe Devotee
9,310 Posts
about the only resemblance I can see to the original Mini is the badge.
The current mini badge looks nothing like the 1959 badge.

·
Registered
705 Posts
Only up to 25 miles battery range. This is not sufficient for every day needs. I had hoped that after 4 years since the Ampera was launched with a 50 mile range, that maufacturers would have developed a model that would tempt me to replace the Ampera. It seems that nobody is playing catchup.

·
Registered
Tesla Model 3 SR+
1,567 Posts
Only up to 25 miles battery range. This is not sufficient for every day needs. I had hoped that after 4 years since the Ampera was launched with a 50 mile range, that maufacturers would have developed a model that would tempt me to replace the Ampera. It seems that nobody is playing catchup.
We need to replace the NEDC, or have a completely different system for PHEVs. Does the MPGe rating make any sense? I'm not convinced.

·
Registered
3,188 Posts
You will most likely find there was some spurious "survey" done which showed that 25 miles is the ultimate battery range for everyone in the world because an EU bureaucrats wife did it once.
In reality it is better than just a hybrid or just an ice but it's not as good as it could be. Considering the size of it I can't see why the i3 battery isn't under there. Normal Mini engine and auto box at the front, i3 motor in the back, battery under the floor.
If it was I'd buy one.

·
Registered
Tesla Model 3 SR+
1,567 Posts
You will most likely find there was some spurious "survey" done which showed that 25 miles is the ultimate battery range for everyone in the world because an EU bureaucrats wife did it once.
In reality it is better than just a hybrid or just an ice but it's not as good as it could be. Considering the size of it I can't see why the i3 battery isn't under there. Normal Mini engine and auto box at the front, i3 motor in the back, battery under the floor.
If it was I'd buy one.
My, aren't we grouchy today?

As @donald has pointed out, it has enough battery to hit the tax thresholds. We need a tougher test, or at least one that's more suitable for plug-ins, or lower thresholds.

Lower thresholds are easier in the short term because they won't change the fuel economy figures of every car on the road. Once a PHEV can do the whole test on battery the thresholds become irrelevant, so we might need to change something else.

·
Registered
Tesla Model 3 SR+
1,567 Posts
NEDC is totally Mickey Mouse. I always ignore it. EPA is more realistic.
But we don't use EPA for setting tax thresholds, which is the biggest leaver the government has for influencing new car sales. Maybe we should?

·
Registered
5,020 Posts
Good grief - looks not a little like a Citroen C3 Picasso. Totally devoid of any charm. Two boxes on wheels.

·
Banned
1,531 Posts
25miles
5 days a week
48 weeks a year (typical working pattern)

6000miles a year

And that is not using it for anything else other then commuting

Average UK milage is 8500

That is a pretty chucky part of that

Charge at work and you are up to 12000 per year

·
Premium Member
VW ID.3 Worst Edition
4,997 Posts
I think these types of vehicle would make a lot more sense if we stopped looking at them as electric vehicles and instead saw them for what they are, more efficient (therefore less polluting) petrol cars with the ability to do zero emission miles?

The govt have clearly set the bar quite low at the moment to enable such vehicles to qualify for the OLEV grant/zero VED etc, presumably to drive car design and purchasing behaviour in the right direction. They can raise the bar in due course, when tech and pricing allows.

If MINI are building a car to current regs, then why is that wrong of them?

A journey of a thousand miles begins with a single step etc.

Used my evil PHEV again today, 112 miles, 49 electric, mpg 62....

1 - 20 of 39 Posts