Speak EV - Electric Car Forums banner

1 - 12 of 12 Posts

·
Registered
235 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Just wondering. Official Mini website says range is 145 miles on full charge (shows in screen shot of dash to confirm).
All the YouTube review videos I've watched say range is 105 miles (and 1 video showed fully charged with 105 miles on dash).
Is it 145? Is it 105? I know both are estimates but the answer may help me decide!!

·
Registered
235 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
I see that the American reviews are using EPA estimate and we in Europe have WLTP. I thought the former were too optimistic and that's why we switched to WLTP? Should therefore be opposite way around with predicted range. Seems a massive difference also.

·
Registered
385 Posts
145 miles? They’re dreaming. It’s the same drivetrain and battery as the old model i3S 94Ah had.
Ours managed 130+ miles in mild weather, 110 in cold, depending on how it was driven and what was switched on.

BUT....the Mini is heavier, less aerodynamic and front wheel drive. I’d say a little over 100 perhaps 110 miles on a good day is likely to be real world

·
Registered
235 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
US models are showing 110 miles range at full charge, UK models are showing 145 miles at full charge. I guess they are the same battery (with maybe 20% reserved, 32.6 kWh) but different estimates the lower being more realistic in cold weather and motorways.

·
Registered
385 Posts
US models are showing 110 miles range at full charge, UK models are showing 145 miles at full charge. I guess they are the same battery (with maybe 20% reserved, 32.6 kWh) but different estimates the lower being more realistic in cold weather and motorways.
Presumably the 145 is WLTP not actual. I believe they use a different formula to work out the government figures in the US.

·
Registered
Renault Zoe ZE50 GT-Line Rapid Charge
1,701 Posts
Presumably the 145 is WLTP not actual. I believe they use a different formula to work out the government figures in the US.
Correct. US uses an estimated figure produced by their EPA, which is somewhere around WLTP/1.12 ±8%.

This might be useful reading:-

·
Registered
480 Posts
I notice all the journos did their test drives in Miami..... nice and warm, better for battery life..... doing it in UK not so good....

·
Registered
2,608 Posts
I see that the American reviews are using EPA estimate and we in Europe have WLTP. I thought the former were too optimistic and that's why we switched to WLTP? Should therefore be opposite way around with predicted range. Seems a massive difference also.
It's a hard problem, should a short range city EV have its ranged quoted based on fast moterway driving? Should the range assume a lot of short trips (hence more heating) or a single long trip at city driving speed?

1 - 12 of 12 Posts