Speak EV - Electric Car Forums banner

1 - 4 of 4 Posts

·
Registered
30 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I wonder if somebody could explain how the all 4 system works in practice on the PHEV.
The way I understand it is that the ICE powers the front wheels and the electric motor the rear wheels giving all wheel drive like the diesel version.
What happens when the battery is flat, does the petrol engine take over the rear wheel to maintain 4 wheel drive or does it revert to front wheel drive only with a little help at the rear as and when the battery has regained a bit of charge.
The scenario I'm thinking of is 15 miles of country roads in the snow, would I have permanent 4 wheel drive?

·
Registered
27 Posts
Although it is in theory 4WD, in practice it's a petrol front-wheel drive car and an electric rear-wheel drive car with some clever electronics to make it act like 4WD. So if you have life in the battery and there is a lack of grip, then it works like a 4WD. But once the battery is empty, it's front-wheel drive only (no driveshaft to the rear).
If you really need 4WD over a long distance, then I think you could put it in Sport mode which recharges the battery constantly (and runs the engine constantly) - but not had to do that yet so not entirely sure.

·
Registered
480 Posts
It's a bit of "clever" marketing.... its not really what you would consider 4 wheel drive at all. Agree with Richard Warren post. That's not to say there isn't some 4 wheel capability, I heard one person say they live at the end of a boggy driveway, they charge every night so when they leave house they have full 4WD to get to end of driveway, and if they use 'save' mode they can make sure they have enough power to get full 4WD when they come home.

·
Registered
1 Posts
As I understand it, it's always a little power left on the battery, to activate awd, and to give the extra acceleration when you press the pedal to the floor. In February I was driving up a steep road, and had to stop since the car in front of me didn't get up the hill. Tried to drive around the car, no grip with just the gas engine and front wheel drive, a second later the awd kicked in, even tough the battery indicator showed empty. Same if you driving just on gas with empty battery, when you press the pedal past the "click" point, the EV kicks in. So it seems there's always some juice left for when you need it.

1 - 4 of 4 Posts