Speak EV - Electric Car Forums banner

1 - 20 of 43 Posts

·
Registered
10 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hi all new to the forum would just like to let you know about my Brand new Mini Countryman Phev which I had for 2 weeks until it became nothing but a very expensive paperweight.
Took delivery on the 15/03/2018 worked great amazing car until the 31/03/2018 was driving along got a regen fault followed by a battery fault followed by a hybrid system failure then on top of that a drivetrain fault car totally dead engine won’t even run.
Was recovered by mini assist to local garage car plugged in numerous faults garage has had to contact mini technical in Germany to decode faults and try to see what the issue is they’ve investigated and they themselves are a bit stuck as the diagnostics has shown loads of errors and faults to the point where the complete Hybrid system is to be replaced cables batteries control units the whole 9 yards they may also have to replace the engine as they can. It get it to start at all.
Problem now is lack of parts have to all be special ordered unlikely to see the car again this month I’m now looking at them getting a new car ordered as the repairs under warranty are going to cost them thousands.
This is not good on a brand new car I will keep you posted as things develop

·
Super Moderator
11,544 Posts
Sounds to me like the technicians are unable to diagnose the fault correctly.

It is very unlikely all those systems have failed. More likely a single failure is causing many fault codes.

·
Registered
10 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
That’s what they initially thought but they were sent a series of tests to complete by BMW technical to carry out and after going over the results they have been instructed by BMW in Germany to replace the whole system.

·
Registered
10 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
This is what I’ve said to BMW Uk the car is in the garage stripped down how can it be put together again as good as the factory they are currently looking at the costs and time involved in getting the parts as they are all coming from abroad, the labour time to see if it’s cost effective to even fix they have even warned me the car may have to be shipped to Germany for repair if this is the case then they will probably replace the car.

·
9,719 Posts
car may have to be shipped to Germany for repair if this is the case then they will probably replace the car.
You've been spun a yarn there, it will get sent to Farnborough for Master Techs to work on it. (been there done that got the t-shirt, and a diagnostic protocol named after me)

·
Premium Member
11,015 Posts

·
9,719 Posts
Also if you've got BMW Finance on it get yourself a case manager assigned and have the finance suspended pending resolution.

·
Registered
10 Posts
Discussion Starter #14
Yes thanks they have opened a case on this and have advised the will seriously arrange compensation when resolved so just a waiting game at the moment.

·
Registered
3,064 Posts
Badly written, overcomplicated software with poor alarm logging.

One fault triggers an alarm which is followed by another part noting the first fault has stopped another part functioning which triggers another alarm ad infinitum!

It can't be the whole drive train failing on this car, just one part causing the cascade.

I had an ICE BMW convertible once that occasionally completely refused to start until the engine had been spun for 30 seconds or more in a few tries. It then slowly caught and ran ok again.

Nothing was logged as a fault. Surely you would expect an alarm of some description to log if the engine doesn't fire after say 5 seconds but no.

·
Registered
3,064 Posts
You've been spun a yarn there, it will get sent to Farnborough for Master Techs to work on it. (been there done that got the t-shirt, and a diagnostic protocol named after me)
That's BMW's perogative but the owner should get another one sharpish for being a Beta tester.

·
9,719 Posts
Badly written, overcomplicated software with poor alarm logging.
How many bits of a postcode can the Ampera take?

Its very easy to say badly written or overcomplicated without actually seeing how things works. As a decentralised multi-agent system the BMW architecture is pretty hard to beat.

·
Registered
10 Posts
Discussion Starter #18
Either way BMW have made the decision to replace the whole system does that mean they have seen something on the diagnostics that worries them are they hiding something from me ?
It’s not good press when the car has only done 139miles

·
Super Moderator
7,417 Posts
It means it's a failure mode they haven't either anticipated or coded for. They may well want the whole drivetrain out to test to find the failure mode, and can release a software update to look for it in future.

Hopefully they'll do the sensible thing and get you into a new car.

1 - 20 of 43 Posts