Speak EV - Electric Car Forums banner

1 - 16 of 16 Posts

·
Registered
87 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Has anyone actually seen adaptive cruise control in a Mini E? The website says they have it but the 'more information' link is broken. I test drove a Level 2 and it didn't have adaptive cruise control. I even downloaded the manual against its VIN and it is definateley just basic cruise control with brake function (it slows down and speeds up which seems sort of obvious)

I asked about it on the chat on the Mini website and first they told me it was an option (but its not listed anywhere on the pricelist) then that it was standard on level 1 (the lowest spec) so I decided they probably don't know. Is it just vapourware ? Have they done a Zoe and promised it then found it diodnt work?

·
Registered
296 Posts
There's no mention of it anywhere in the price list but yes, as you say, the website claims:-

Cruise control with braking function automatically changes the speed of the car to match the flow of traffic ahead.

·
Registered
377 Posts
I used to have an ICE mini of this generation and adaptive cruise was an option, under the "driver assistance package", approximately £900 or thereabouts back then.

I have checked autotrader which conveniently has a Level 1, 2 and 3 car for sale currently. None of them have adaptive cruise which would be given away by 2 extra buttons on the left hand side of the multifunction steering wheel, to the right of the 5-way circular button to set normal cruise, speed limiter etc. The Level 3 car does however have the forward facing camera at the top of the windscreen and correspondingly has collision avoidance stuff and possibly traffic sign recognition, but yet it still doesn't have adaptive cruise.

Whether it is actually available on the electric version I can't say for sure, I'd assume it is as it is available on the ICE models.

Something to bear in mind is it is camera based only (no radar) it is the same implementation as on the i3 and perhaps a few other BMW/MINI models and is apparently not particularly good, only working in ideal conditions, cutting out due to lighting conditions etc. Because of the mixed reviews I didn't bother specifying it on the i3 I recently got...

There's no mention of it anywhere in the price list but yes, as you say, the website claims:-

Cruise control with braking function automatically changes the speed of the car to match the flow of traffic ahead.
"Cruise control with braking function" I think is BMW/MINI parlance for normal cruise control, it uses the brakes when going downhill to maintain the speed you have set. I guess on the electric it will use regen. It is a bit confusing though that it sys to match the flow of traffic, I will admit...

Edit: just went through the configurator and it does not seem to be an option. The "cruise control with braking function" is definitely the normal cruise only, not adaptive. In Level 3 you get the "driver assistant" pacakge, but it doesn't include adaptive cruise for some reason. It includes:

The Driving Assistant makes driving even safer and more comfortable. Package contents include high-beam assist, Traffic Sign Memory and Pedestrian and Collision Warning. At 31 mph or higher, the high-beam assist automatically dims and restores the full-beam headlights, e.g. when the system recognizes an oncoming vehicle. The Traffic Sign Memory indicates speed limits and no-overtaking zones. At speeds between 6 mph and 37 mph, the Pedestrian and Collision Warning feature alerts the driver in the event of a potential collision and applies the brakes automatically.
I just configured an ICE model and it is still available as the £800 driver assistant package. You get the above + adaptive cruise. Strange that it's not available on the EV.

·
Registered
2018 e-Golf
731 Posts
Whats the difference between adaptive cruise and cruise that brakes and speeds up to keep up with traffic?

·
Registered
377 Posts
Whats the difference between adaptive cruise and cruise that brakes and speeds up to keep up with traffic?
I would say there is no difference, however I am not sure where the above description @stevelup has found came from, on the configurator the description of the cruise control is:

Cruise control with brake function
From 18 mph upwards, the cruise control with brake function automatically regulates the desired speed and maintains it even when driving downhill, applying the brakes when required. This function is operated via the multifunction steering wheel, and makes driving a MINI an even safer and more relaxing experience.
Which definitely seems to be non-adaptive cruise control.

By comparison this is the description of the adaptive cruise option on the ICE models:

Active Cruise Control
As well as maintaining a set speed, the camera-based active cruise control system regulates the distance from the vehicle in front on busy roads and motorways. The system operates between 18 - 87 mph.

·
Registered
87 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
BMW like to use the phrase 'cruise control with brake function', which if I was cynical, I would suspect is to muddy the waters and make you think it is adaptive. All it actually means is that the car will use brakes or regen to hold it going down hill or if you reduce the set speed. Most modern cruise controls do this anyway.

Adaptive cruise control uses a camera or better still a radar and a camera to slow the car when it detects a vehicle or anything else in front. Typically you can set the separation distance somewhere in a menu, some systems allow the car to stop and start in traffic jams by itself. More importantly it is usually linked to active emergency braking which will prevent most rear end collisions and may also apply the brakes for pedestians and cyclists.

·
Registered
2018 e-Golf
731 Posts
Adaptive cruise control uses a camera or better still a radar and a camera to slow the car when it detects a vehicle or anything else in front. Typically you can set the separation distance somewhere in a menu, some systems allow the car to stop and start in traffic jams by itself. More importantly it is usually linked to active emergency braking which will prevent most rear end collisions and may also apply the brakes for pedestians and cyclists.
Spot on. My egolf does has this and i dont think i could get a car without it now!

·
Registered
46 Posts
You can’t get adaptive cruise on the Mini electric. It’s not an option and it’s not fitted to any of the current electric models.

·
Registered
87 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
You can’t get adaptive cruise on the Mini electric. It’s not an option and it’s not fitted to any of the current electric models.
Any idea why? And why Mini haven't! removed the headline from the website?

·
Registered
46 Posts
Any idea why? And why Mini haven't! removed the headline from the website?
I actually spoke to the design manager of the Mini electric earlier in the year and asked him about adaptive cruise. He said he’d received a lot of complaints about the mini electric not having it but it was purely down to build costs and working to tight margins.

·
Registered
87 Posts
Discussion Starter #12
It does have a camera and a very basic automatic emergency braking system which isn't clever enough to do adaptive cruise control. The AEB is only preventative up to 35km/h above that all it does is make sure the brakes are already on when you crash.

·
Registered
377 Posts
Seems odd when all the parts are already in the car - camera, automatic braking, cruise control.....
It is just missing the buttons on the steering wheel to adjust the follow distance.

I think the camera is the same as the one used for active cruise based on ICE MINI's I've seen with it fitted (they appear physically the same) but of course it could be a different model of camera in the housing.

·
Registered
1 Posts
I’m currently awaiting my level 3 Mini Electric and currently drive a F56 JCW which has adaptive cruise control. It’s rubbish on the Mini. I’ve had issues whereby it randomly hits the brakes when going under bridges which scares the life out of you. I’ve seen other people mention this on forums. I’ve driven my car for 4 years and haven’t used it since the first few weeks of owning it. Also, it won’t stop the car to 0mph due to no radar. It just disables itself. Lastly, the gap adjustment is poor. On the motorway, if you set it to the smallest gap, it’s too big and cars pull in between you and the car in front.

Trust me. You aren’t missing anything.

·
Registered
250 Posts
Good point that we shouldn't wish we had adaptive cruise control if it's no good! On VW it works perfectly from creeping in traffic to motorway cruising.

1 - 16 of 16 Posts