Speak EV - Electric Car Forums banner

1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Registered
2 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hi Everyone,

I've had a Level 2 Mini Electric for a few weeks now.
Overall I love it! But I am struggling to get anymore than 100 miles out of the range.
Maybe I need to spend more time in Green+ mode, but I'm wondering if anyone else with a Mini Electric is getting more range than me?

·
Registered
ONTO/Evezy £50 Code: CADA7
1,172 Posts
It's a ~30kWh battery isn't it? That sounds about right going by what I can get out of a Nissan LEAF which has about the same battery capacity.

Range will improve a little in the summer with dry roads, less wind, and no need for the heating. Likewise as we go into winter your range will get worse with wind and rain/ice, cold temperatures and the use of the heater.

Obviously make full use of regenerative braking and plan ahead to help maximise your range. Take it easy by accelerating gently and dropping your speed a little on the motorway. Use the preconditioning feature where possible while plugged in. Set your heater to a comfortable temperature rather than hot. Make sure the tyres are at the correct pressure. These will all also help out trying to go a little further between charges.

·
Registered
4,961 Posts
Oh, and cut your speed. 5 MPH lower speed on fast roads will give you 10% greater range. Or just accept the lower range? :devilish:

·
Registered
2 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
Thanks, this al helps. For 90% of journeys this range is fine, and I love the performance of the car.

·
i3 with Range Extender (EREV) Sept 2014
1,699 Posts
1 mile per % easy to remember :) , 12 days so far and furthest I have been is 91 miles and I had 23% battery left.

·
Registered
11 Posts
I think it is quite dependent on terrain and distance driven. We live in hilly West Yorks and most of our trips are short 5-8 miles and in summer we were getting around 100 miles range and currently it is nearer 90. Most of this driving is just pottering around and we use high regeneration. If we do longer journeys we find the range holds up better, but I think this is because the roads driven are less hilly then.

To be honest I was expecting this sort of mileage and it is not a problem for us, as it still gives us around a week's driving out of a charge. When we are on a fun road we make use of the car's potential, normally in Sport mode, and range will drop more as you would expect, but again not a problem.

Had the car 7 months now and it still ticks all the boxes for us.

·
Registered
4 Posts
Just wanted to add that as the colder weather kicks in we will all see a reduction, this will be the first winter for the Mini EV and it will be interesting to see what ranges people get.

I am seeing 110-115 at the moment, and that is with preconditioning (which I love!) before my daily commute. I drive it in mid mode (might drop it to Green for the winter to see if that helps).

Such a great car to drive, makes me smile every time :)

1 - 8 of 8 Posts