Speak EV - Electric Car Forums banner

1 - 20 of 32 Posts

·
Registered
193 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hi there,
During this period of "social distancing", I thought I'd do a few modifications. I've looked at people who've made their own "frunks" or "froots" as we call them in the UK. Some of them I think are a bit dodgy as they restrict airflow around the BMS and inverter.

I've attached some photos of my attempt which maintains airflow around the front compartment. (I checked after a run up and down the motorway and detected no warm or hot spots as it sits on top of the "super hero" shield. :)

I used a black garden tray which is held in place with sticky-back Velcro.

The items in the tray (charging cable, compressor, tyre repair kit) are all held in place with the same.

Now if I've got a boot full of stuff, I don't need to empty it all out to get at the essentials stored under the floor.

Stay safe and well everyone,

Alan.

·
Registered
266 Posts
I was wondering about doing similar. When I got my kona I was surprised how much space there is above the engine. And it's not like putting something on top of an ICE engine which would be ridiculously hot. All that seems important is keeping it secure. And given the charging point is at the front, then having the cable there makes so much more sense.

(Mind you as a newbie the words frunk and froots baffled me.)

I suppose you went for the tray so that you could put multiple stuff into it. Is that right. Because obviosly the charging cable bag could be mounted direct, perhaps.

·
Registered
193 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
I was wondering about doing similar. When I got my kona I was surprised how much space there is above the engine. And it's not like putting something on top of an ICE engine which would be ridiculously hot. All that seems important is keeping it secure. And given the charging point is at the front, then having the cable there makes so much more sense.

(Mind you as a newbie the words frunk and froots baffled me.)

I suppose you went for the tray so that you could put multiple stuff into it. Is that right. Because obviosly the charging cable bag could be mounted direct, perhaps.
Hi Andy,
I thought the tray was a bit sturdier than just having the bag and carrying straps which could "flop" about when driving. The added advantage was that I could fix the tyre repair kit in the tray as well for emergencies.

You are right about the position of the cable. When I pull up at the free charger at Tesco, I just flip the bonnet latch,unzip the bag (leaving it in the tray) and uncoil the cable. Brilliant!

Also, when the car goes in for a service, I can just lift off the tray, and put it back when I get the car back.

Alan.

·
Registered
88 Posts
Looks great, but it will get dirty. Shocking amounts of mud splashed up in there over the winter. Maybe a box with similar dimensions and a lid?

·
Registered
266 Posts
Looks great, but it will get dirty. Shocking amounts of mud splashed up in there over the winter. Maybe a box with similar dimensions and a lid?
A box or some kind of lid sounds good. Then there's no chance of things going flying either.

·
Registered
193 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
I did look for a shallow box, but couldn't find one the right size. I suppose I could get a second tray and somehow fix it on top. That'll give me something to do during this period of isolation. :)

·
Registered
266 Posts
Really? Without a high level 'grille' I'd not expect much dirt to get up there, compared to typical ICE.
Exactly. For one thing there's not so much oil splattering around the engine, as per an ICE! So most debris is likely to cleaned off with a duster.

·
Registered
266 Posts
Looking for Kona Frunk's this one
as sold at Home seems to make the most use of the space available. But this one
feels the best design, imo. Both of these require a frame. The latter (clear) one I like because it has a lid, which seems a very important thing.

I inquired with Christoph Kainz about his and he's not yet sure it will fit the 2020 Kona, being an 11kw model.

·
Registered
266 Posts
If one can and does remove all the bits frorm the boot into the frunk then the boot has a large amount of extra space. What would be good is a material cover that is shaped for this space to keep whatever goes in there away from metalwork and wires.

·
Registered
4,153 Posts
The latter I like because it has a lid, which seems a very important thing.
They both have lids in the freeze frames.

The top one looks like a 'euro' box of which I've recently bought a taller one for a different purpose. They are stackable and far more robust than most of those transparent ones - industrial/commercial rather than domestic.

·
Registered
193 Posts
Discussion Starter #15
Looking for Kona Frunk's this one
as sold at Home seems to make the most use of the space available. But this one
feels the best design, imo. Both of these require a frame. The latter (clear) one I like because it has a lid, which seems a very important thing.

I inquired with Christoph Kainz about his and he's not yet sure it will fit the 2020 Kona, being an 11kw model.
The top one is over 100 Euros. I did mine for under a fiver.

1 - 20 of 32 Posts