Speak EV - Electric Car Forums banner

1 - 4 of 4 Posts

·
Registered
2 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hi, I’ve had my mini hybrid since September 2020 and it’s been back to the garage twice as the100% charge creeps down with each charge until the 30 miles reache s less than 25 miles.
It seems to be a software reset that clears it- though the last time took 19 attempts!
I charge on delayed charging as we have economy 7 and wondered if this had anything to do with it. I have noticed that charging on a genie point while away can shift the 100% up a mile if I’m lucky.
Is this a general problem?

·
Registered
Kia e-Niro 4 MY20
1,007 Posts
Just to clarify, is the issue that the car gradually reports fewer miles available when fully charged or is it showing the battery is not at 100% as expected?

If you’re going by the miles available, this is what’s known as a GOM or Guess-O-Meter. The available mileage is estimated based on the batter state of charge and the measured energy used per mile - so how you drive and the topology of the area.

The car showing a lower available distance on battery than the spec is absolutely normal and no different to the car failing to achieve the petrol mpg of the spec.

·
Registered
194 Posts
Hi,

Based on the 330e which should be similar, @idiotzoo is correct, and the car might be telling you the truth. The car bases the range on your recent driving history, so it is possible that the factory reset goes back to the 30 as it has no history, which then reduces based on your real world driving.

One way to check is to go to the trip screen which should show the miles/KWH and reset at the start of your drive. Then see what it reads on EV driving, this figure is only accurate BEFORE the petrol engine kicks in ( It is calculated using total mileage! ) If it shows 3m/kwh then that figure times you usable capacity would give you the current electric range - knock off 10% as the GOM reads 0 miles at this state of charge when the car goes into full hybrid. Also the electric heater will eat into this figure, so if you are doing short stop-start drives, with the heater on, the efficiency figure will go down.

On your charge at a Gennie Point, you may have had a longer drive to get there, so initial cabin heating is less of an impact, may have been more cruising rather than stop start, etc, so the efficiency improved and the guessed range went up a bit.

·
Registered
2 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
Thanks both, that’s really helpful. I’m new to hybrids and it definitely went lower in colder weather, which makes sense.

I’ll do the check you suggested on electric power only and see what comes out.

1 - 4 of 4 Posts