Speak EV - Electric Car Forums banner

1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Registered
10 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I noticed my mirrors steaming yesterday morning, it was about 11 degrees so no frost but a little condensation on them.
I checked both my mirrors and they were warm. I hadn't activated the defrost button but did have the fans directed toward the windscreen as at this temperature you don't need heating or AC to keep the windows clear.

Is there a way to switch this off? It but affect range.

Thank you

·
Registered
2,107 Posts
Pretty negligible would be my guess.

·
Super Moderator
11,544 Posts
affect range.
A typical mirror heater uses about 15-20W until the glass is about 20C. At that point the heater cycles on and off to keep the glass around the set point.

Two mirrors 30W. Assume the on-off duty cycle works out to one hour -- 30Wh. Typical EV is about 4miles / kWh. That is 4mi/1000Wh

(4mi/1000Wh) * 30Wh = 0.12 miles.

The loss in range would be something like 1/10 of a mile.

·
Super Moderator
11,544 Posts
The Mirrors are on the 12V system. They could well be powered by the 12V battery. Not sure how the PHEV works, but it might end up charging the 12V battery when the ICE is running.

If the ICE comes on before the 12V runs down below the set point, running the mirror heaters might not change EV range at all.

·
Registered
1,038 Posts
Every PHEV I am aware of charges the 12V battery from the main HV battery, otherwise that would go flat after a few uses of the car in electric only mode.

1 - 6 of 6 Posts