Speak EV - Electric Car Forums banner

Mini SE - Now in showrooms!

3K views 12 replies 6 participants last post by  grahamcheese 
#1 ·
Just popped into my local Mini dealer - sorting out paperwork for my wife's new mini. They had 3 electric Mini's in the showroom, 2 black and one white. Said they couldn't let me drive one today until the 'official UK launch' in March but the guy said if I asked him I could have one for the day to try out!

#2 · (Edited)
I called at the Sandal Wakefield Mini Dealer ( Sunday 8th March) which has a electric Mini's in showroom and two to test drive
but you may have to book a appointment for a test drive and interest is high.

Sandal Wakefield MINI
Dewsbury Rd,
Wakefield
West Yorkshire
WF2 9BE
Phone: 01924 202299

#3 ·
I drove one last week in Belfast.

Brilliant little car although I had not driven a mini in a long number of years.

Power train is just i3s and feels it as its nippy and all feels high quality.

I was tempted to order a level 2 but Im adverse to buying new cars due to the depreciation and I can't help but think its just an i3s in a steel body with a smaller battery.

#5 ·
I don't normally buy new either, normally ex-demos, but I plan to keep this car for 5+ years given there should be less to worry about mechanically. As such depreciation is less of an issue for me than it has been in the past.

As such I am going for the Level 2, which I think is the best in terms of value.

Should be picking it up tomorrow afternoon.

#6 ·
I don't normally buy new either, normally ex-demos, but I plan to keep this car for 5+ years given there should be less to worry about mechanically. As such depreciation is less of an issue for me than it has been in the past.

As such I am going for the Level 2, which I think is the best in terms of value.

Should be picking it up tomorrow afternoon.
Wow, really jealous!! Let us know how it goes. I think Level 2 the best. Not sure I can justify an extra £4000 for a sunroof, leather seats (hate leather seats - so old fashioned), wider touchscreen (that reverts to narrow and looks odd with carplay) and wireless charging (which modern phones don't fit in because they're just a fraction too big)!!!

#8 ·
I guess if it is a company car with the reduced level of BIK, or you drive 40+ miles a day commuting to work then Level 3 may well be a better option and the extra money worth it. I work from home and wife walks to work, so we only tend to drive around 400 miles a month and most trips are less than 5-10 miles; to gym, shops, friends etc. so Level 2 seems best to us.

#9 ·
Picked it up and spent afternoon driving round and it is just like a petrol S, just faster to accelerate, which makes for a far more usable road car in my view. Pulling out from T junctions or onto roundabouts is sooooooo easy.

Yes the range is a limit, but not one I think will ever bother me.

Getting used to the one(ish) peddle driving is also great fun and you start to pick it up really quickly.

It tucked up in the garage now, plugged into the Pod Point, ready for tomorrow.

I can highly recommend.

#11 ·
I believe that MINI were taking pre-orders prior to the formal launch data in march, so some buyers were able to collect almost immediately as the cars had already been built to the spec.

Now that the Oxford plant is closed due to the pandemic, the waiting time wont be getting any shorter .... unless they see significant cancellations from buyers who have concerns with being able to finance their purchases in today's economic circumstances.

#12 ·
No, I registered interest at 3pm on the day pre-orders opened, so expect I was very near the front of the queue. I was expecting delivery on the 26th, but was then told it would arrive on the 16th - which it did. I had my test drive on the 2nd and confirmed the order then, so it was a done deal before the current **** kicked off. Luckily I had the money in the bank, from when I sold my MX5 ND in August, as we have been running just one car since then.

#13 ·
oh, lucky you. I should have done the same. I got a delivery date in August and it is so far out that we will still keep our options open and keep looking around. I understand the battery packs all come from China anyway so may be an extra delay, although i note the Tesla plant in Shanghai is back up to 90% capacity so things recovering fast there.

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.