Speak EV - Electric Car Forums banner

1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
Registered
389 Posts
Discussion Starter #1 (Edited)
Cleared all the trip meters a few days ago, done a little mileage here and there (2.4 miles).. Went to a supermarket last Sunday and while I was there topped up. After the store closed (Sunday trading law) and with no perishables in the car I waited for the final percent.. when I spotted the Averages speed declining.

It looks like so long as the car is not in standby then the average speed is still being calculated (erroneously) even if the engine is not on and you're sat there charging, doing 0 mph.

I did always wonder why my Averages speed was incredibly low and often says things like I'm doing on average 20mph when I have recently been pretty much doing 30mph constantly (on the commute) or 70mph on a motorway for the bulk of a journey.

Video for those that are interested:

·
Registered
2,314 Posts
Yeah and the more recently you did a reset the faster the average speed drops away.

Last week I managed to leave my Zoe turned on all night in the garage :eek: average speed had dropped to 1.1 mph :giggle:

BTW that left an error 'ESC' on the display and though I could start the car and got the 'Ready' message I could not select a gear as it was locked in park, turned off and left it for an hour and all was well again. Overheated computer or similar? @yoh-there

Reactions: yoh-there

·
Co-author of CanZE. Q210 nov 2013
4,402 Posts
I have no idea @Mo1 You might want to pull the DTC's from the ESC? Just for reference: the ESC is the stability control. Things like ABS, traction control, anti-rollover, etc. It's located in the "junction box" for all the brake lines, right side of the bulkhead.

·
Registered
389 Posts
Discussion Starter #4 (Edited)
Yeah and the more recently you did a reset the faster the average speed drops away.

Last week I managed to leave my Zoe turned on all night in the garage :eek: average speed had dropped to 1.1 mph
Ah so it's also even when the car is running.
Sounds like a "if (mph > 0) {" would sort it with relatively little effort.

I also found (after posting this of course) another thread about the same issue : Q210 vs R240 average speed math

BTW that left an error 'ESC' on the display and though I could start the car and got the 'Ready' message I could not select a gear as it was locked in park, turned off and left it for an hour and all was well again. Overheated computer or similar?
@yoh-there's far far better at the car's technology so I would do what he said first.. but I would also guess (and I am guessing) you may have rinsed the 12V battery? I'd probably stick it on charge for a few hours with the car asleep to see if it topping up the 12V battery helped? See also Oops... hill start and ESC errors, now 'check charging'

As an update I've rung Renault Customer Service about this (I write software myself sometimes and I'm sure they'd appreciate the bug report), they said a dealer would need to look at it. I tried to get out of it by explaining that I'm pretty sure it happens on all Zoes and could they just test on theirs rather than mine.. they spoke directly to a technician at the dealers who seemed to know exactly what I was referring to and reckons a new firmware update removes this bug.

@yoh-there do you want any before/after firmware info?

·
Speak, Eevee!
1,288 Posts
Yeah I did wonder about that. First noticed when I drove it back from the dealership after the BMS update, when of course it’d been sat there ‘on’ for a while. There I was driving along at 60mph for 40 minutes with an average speed of 15 :p

Reactions: Matthew

·
Co-author of CanZE. Q210 nov 2013
4,402 Posts
you may have rinsed the 12V battery
If the car was "on" (as in [brrrr] "started"), on the contrary. The 12 volt would be kept on charge. Another counter-intuitive one when coming from an ICE :whistle:

THB I don't keep tab of "most recent" versions anymore and removed that functionality from CanZE long ago. There's just to many hardware versions and variants around to keep tab without deep inside Renault info. But thanks for offering, appreciated.(y)

·
Registered
2,314 Posts
The cars been fine since, it goes in for its first service soon I'll see if they mention any error codes.

It was started with the 'ready' message showing (along with the ESC message)

Its too easy to go to the car start up with the door open (maybe looking through menu's etc) then close door and there's no' bing bong' warning as door was already open, with your mind on something else you don't notice it doesn't 'toot toot'.

I also did the same with my previous Zoe, but only for a couple of hours, this time it was ~11 hours :eek:

Feckin old age:rolleyes:

Reactions: yoh-there

·
Registered
389 Posts
Discussion Starter #8 (Edited)
Update!

Today recieved a surprise phonecall from the dealership the car was booked into for next week saying they tested with some other Zoes with even the latest software and they all do it, so they said it was "normal" and said there's "not really a lot we can do about it" and cancelled my appointment (as the software update wouldn't achieve a fix). I did ask if they could pass onto the technical team and got what I could best describe as a shrug.

They said the car does it when the "ignition" is on (I know, I know, but I didn't want to be "that guy").. so I just pointed out the engine was off.. we came to an agreement he's witnessed it do it only when the car is awake and that it's then constantly calculating the average speed, but if your car has gone to sleep (dash off etc.) the calculating stops (my car is set to stay on while charging). His advice was to lock the car and walk away when it's charging and I won't have widly inaccurate average speeds (just fairly inaccurate ones).

Not expecting them to drop everything and fix this but just want them to take this (admitedly minor) bug report seriously considering it's present in all Renault Zoes.

I've called Renault Customer Services (who are great by the way) and they will pass to the technical team. They were planning on following up with me day after the software update anyway but now I've told them it's not happening they want to proceed with looking into it.

·
Speak, Eevee!
1,288 Posts
Might be that you have to book it through customer services and then the dealership will be instructed to do it by Renault rather than asked to by yourself, they have more of a say in things :)

I reset 'B' fairly often at the moment with the outside temperature doing its yoyo thing so I have a more current picture of average consumption.

1 - 9 of 9 Posts