Speak EV - Electric Car Forums banner
1 - 20 of 38 Posts

·
Registered
381 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Looks like there’s been some very minor price changes / increases overnight - from what I can tell they seem to be less than £100 overall.

The Life is still the only car eligible for the grant, so there’s been no changes that I can see to squeeze other models in

·
Registered
3 Posts
I don't understand VW. Others manufacturers - Kia, Citroen, Peugeot, Tesla - respond to the grant changes by reducing their prices. VW puts theirs up. The id.3 Business trim was just a few hundred pounds above the grant threshold; I don't understand why they didn't reduce it by those few hundred pounds. And I'm baffled why they don't take the same approach as Skoda, whose Enyaq pricing basically uses options packs rather than trim levels to keep the basic price below the £35k limit. The Skoda looks good value now (although I want to buy a vehicle that's id. 3 size... yes I had been planning to test drive an id.3 in the next few weeks, when showrooms open up again... not sure now).

·
Premium Member
VW ID.3 1st Edition & Tesla M3 LR
7,803 Posts
If you can elicit a discount in excess of the £2.5k grant though, and from what I’m seeing/reading that should be the case, then maybe it’s not so big an issue?

VW UK set the pricing, if there’s any method in the madness then they’re not sharing it.

·
Registered
381 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
I don't understand VW. Others manufacturers - Kia, Citroen, Peugeot, Tesla - respond to the grant changes by reducing their prices. VW puts theirs up. The id.3 Business trim was just a few hundred pounds above the grant threshold; I don't understand why they didn't reduce it by those few hundred pounds. And I'm baffled why they don't take the same approach as Skoda, whose Enyaq pricing basically uses options packs rather than trim levels to keep the basic price below the £35k limit. The Skoda looks good value now (although I want to buy a vehicle that's id. 3 size... yes I had been planning to test drive an id.3 in the next few weeks, when showrooms open up again... not sure now).
Like you, I think the ID3 was the perfect size, everything else is bigger / longer. I have looked at the Skoda, their price model certainly makes more sense, with the grant position, but their prices soon mount up when adding options + options are always more tricky to get value fit on the resale market

·
Registered
ID.4 :-)
227 Posts
Totally in agreement with the queries being raised about VW's pricing strategy (if we can call it that), they should drop the prices of models on the cusp of the £35k band to just below and sell more ! ... It's basic common sense?

I now have an ID.4 and was able to get the £3k grant plus a broker discount, but at the time of shopping around I was weighing up buying the ID.4 v Skoda Enyaq. If I was buying now (not able to get the £3k off) it would be the Enyaq with the option pack pricing.

·
Registered
1,000 Posts
If you can elicit a discount in excess of the £2.5k grant though, and from what I’m seeing/reading that should be the case, then maybe it’s not so big an issue?

VW UK set the pricing, if there’s any method in the madness then they’re not sharing it.
If people always going for a life, £100 is not really a deal breaker, but it's daft that VW don't adjust their structuring of trims into separate packs.

Any add ons to Life spec? VW often soften the blow of a pay rise by adding some spec, probably not for a £100 increase though. Have deposit contributions increased on finance?

·
Premium Member
7,803 Posts
If people always going for a life, £100 is not really a deal breaker, but it's daft that VW don't adjust their structuring of trims into separate packs.

Any add ons to Life spec? VW often soften the blow of a pay rise by adding some spec, probably not for a £100 increase though. Have deposit contributions increased on finance?
One of the difficulties VAG has had with the four core brands is how to price them.

It’s always been Audi > VW > Seat > Skoda, with some overlaps obviously, but with the grant it kind of throws a spanner in the works, they can’t all crowd around it.

I think Skoda and VW are trying to park their tanks on the same lawn re pricing.

·
Registered
227 Posts
One of the difficulties VAG has had with the four core brands is how to price them.

It’s always been Audi > VW > Seat > Skoda, with some overlaps obviously, but with the grant it kind of throws a spanner in the works, they can’t all crowd around it.

I think Skoda and VW are trying to park their tanks on the same lawn re pricing.
Agree - The VAG Group - has always tried to target their car brands and pricing at slightly differing demographics / markets / price points. 5-10 years ago there was a clearer "separation" between each of these "brand markets" ... but this has become "blurred" over the years, they "over-lap one another significantly" ... The only differential being Audi going for the Merc + category ... the other three brands are "too merged and encroach onto one another's territory" now.

Generally I think Skoda has "up-ed their game, and VW have dropped their's" ... meaning they are now getting buyers (like myself) looking at both brands as close comparisons.

·
Registered
VW eGolf
407 Posts
Yeah, it makes no sense having these separate models with different trim just above PiCG threshold. Options that don't affect performance or battery size don't count toward the price for grant eligibility so I'd hope they just restructure around that.

DriveTheDeal prices:

150kW Life: £27380
150kW Business: £32846 (+ £5466 over Life)
150kW Style: £33280 (+ £5900 over Life)
150kW Family: £33702 (+ £6322 over Life)

You'd have to really want the matrix LED headlights and other trinkets to pay that much extra.

·
Registered
381 Posts
Discussion Starter · #10 ·
Agree - The VAG Group - has always tried to target their car brands and pricing at slightly differing demographics / markets / price points. 5-10 years ago there was a clearer "separation" between each of these "brand markets" ... but this has become "blurred" over the years, they "over-lap one another significantly" ... The only differential being Audi going for the Merc + category ... the other three brands are "too merged and encroach onto one another's territory" now.

Generally I think Skoda has "up-ed their game, and VW have dropped their's" ... meaning they are now getting buyers (like myself) looking at both brands as close comparisons.
Totally agree about the switch between VW and Skoda. I was surprised when I viewed the Skoda, in my opinion, it had a better finish than the VW. Saying that, it was quite easy to spec a Skoda costing £50K, which also surprised me

·
Registered
ID.3 & ID.3
172 Posts
Looks like there’s been some very minor price changes / increases overnight - from what I can tell they seem to be less than £100 overall.

The Life is still the only car eligible for the grant, so there’s been no changes that I can see to squeeze other models in
From what I can see the Life's have increased in price by £800 on both versions..... unless I'm missing something.

Previous price for the Pro was £31,670 before the PICG and now it is £32,470. So with the PICG reduction as well, it's now £1,300 more expensive than prior to 19th March.

·
Registered
219 Posts

The grant was separate from any dealer discounts so if they can offer £2,500 discount now then the car is still £3,000 more expensive than it could have been.

·
Premium Member
7,803 Posts
The grant was separate from any dealer discounts so if they can offer £2,500 discount now then the car is still £3,000 more expensive than it could have been.
Yes, I know that, I was just making the point that discounts are still available, so you might be able to offset the ‘loss’ of the 2.5k grant and a bit more via negotiation.

Until the grant/thresholds are removed, manufacturers will always be dancing around them, sometimes just the wrong side.

·
Registered
429 Posts
The full list price of my Business Pro Performance when it was new last December was £37595. I paid £30000 for it last month (it was a delivery mileage pre-reg). It attracted the full £3000 grant as it was then, so that was still another £4600 discount. I can't imagine even further discounts being made available to make up for the missing grant.

·
Registered
227 Posts
Why are we assuming VM needs to sell ID.3 in the UK at present? Maybe they will be happy to sell them in EU instead.
May be VW might/could use the "PICG price conundrum" (and where to price their cars/models) as a reason to "pause" the demand for their car's en-mass in the UK for now (by not creating any increase in demand by dropping car prices for the ID ranges below the £35k threshold). It give themselves a chance to sort out s/w issues, equip workshops with kit/trained staff to support the ID range, and get ready for production of the ID.4 model variants (smaller batteries, lower spec etc - to fit it under the £35k band) ...

Then when everything's (more) "in order" (as per the above) do a big new re-aligned "launch" of the ID ranges (both 3 and 4) ... boasting about starting prices for both cars being under £35k ... with the obvious "top end models" with more range/spec being more ...

Just my thoughts ! ....

·
Registered
381 Posts
Discussion Starter · #18 ·
The full list price of my Business Pro Performance when it was new last December was £37595. I paid £30000 for it last month (it was a delivery mileage pre-reg). It attracted the full £3000 grant as it was then, so that was still another £4600 discount. I can't imagine even further discounts being made available to make up for the missing grant.
I think a few of us were lucky with pricing on pre reg cars (left over from the VW panic emission compliance sale). I picked up a First Edition for £29,300 and they had a business for slightly less at the same time.

I don’t think we will see similar discounts in the future

·
Registered
227 Posts
I think a few of us were lucky with pricing on pre reg cars (left over from the VW panic emission compliance sale). I picked up a First Edition for £29,300 and they had a business for slightly less at the same time.

I don’t think we will see similar discounts in the future

I think you're right ... we won't see "discounts" ... but VW could always "strip" down the spec of a car (both the ID3 and 4) and have a basic starting model ... small battery and low spec. the ID.4 just below the £35k level ... and an ID.3 similarly £25+k ish ... Get your potential buyer's interested, get them into the showroom- and sell them something more expensive. It's all about "headline prices" ... to get people talking, and looking at a new car ...

·
Registered
ID3 1st & e-Golf
5,975 Posts
VW will always offering discounts when they need to sell cars. We got a similar discount on the e-Golf 3 years ago when they weren't so popular.
This time round it was to hit emissions targets, maybe that was the case with the e-Golf as well.
At some point it will happen again, maybe the end of this year with emissions targets tightening further year on year.

1 - 20 of 38 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.