Speak EV - Electric Car Forums banner

1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Registered
30KW Tekna (2017)
915 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hi all - I hae 1 creaky mirror, and although initially I was going to try and get it replaced under warranty, others have said it just returns.

I saw a really good YouTube video of a man removing the mirror glass and then greasing the joint that is accessible behind it, but didn't describe how to safely remove it.

Anyone else had a go at prizing their mirror off and if so any tips?

·
Registered
7,025 Posts
My early Leaf soon developed a squeaky driver side mirror when folded. Back then there was no mention in forums of this problem which soon became almost endemic in this model. Reports soon came about dozens of mirrors being replaced - sometimes twice.

However, when it happened to me I had a handy can of WD40 - the one that came with a red delivery straw. I just poked the straw behind the mirror and gave it a good sweep around when spraying. Folding in and out a dozen times whilst spraying found the offending contact point and cured it. It also evicted the resident mirror spider that created an annoying web every day. So I sprayed the other mirror as well for that reason rather than a squeak.

I did later read a posting by someone about removing the glass but it was a long time ago and would take time to search for it. However, this very short YouTube vid covers the same issue. But it may be helpful simply by showing the place to aim a WD40 straw as a first attempt to fix it.

·
Registered
30KW Tekna (2017)
915 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Oh that's a fantastic fix, Ill get some lube this week and give it a go, I knew it had to be something simple rather than mirror replacement!

Thanks so much.

Love pimping my leaf.... have some seat covers on order and a plan for an extra cable bag!

·
Registered
3,103 Posts
My last 40 developed the creak on my drivers side in no time.
I got it replaced under warranty. Then sold it.

No issue in a year of my latest 40.

·
Registered
30KW Tekna (2017)
915 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
What’s the best thing to use? I’m not keen on WD40 as I find out not a great lubricant long term.

Is grease safe to use on plastic or would silicone be better.

·
Registered
7,025 Posts
What’s the best thing to use? I’m not keen on WD40 as I find out not a great lubricant long term.
I just used what was on the shelf. But many have said that basic WD40 isn't great long term. I just worked on the basis that a quick squirt every 6 months was no big deal. Another friend once told me that if you use WD40 to fix something and it didn't work you just didn't use enough. Same with DuctTape.

However, I found this advertised which seems to talk the talk. Key to me would be to find a suitable spray can with a thin delivery straw - which avoids the trauma of prising the mirror off. Worth a try?

·
Registered
30KW Tekna (2017)
915 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
Thanks! I have done some research and silicone spray seems to be the best.

I find WD40 makes an excellent cleaner but a very temporary lubricant

1 - 7 of 7 Posts