Speak EV - Electric Car Forums banner

1 - 12 of 12 Posts

·
Registered
2 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hi all,

Previously had a c350e, and got mucked around by the charger installer a few years back and never got round to having one fitted - just charged from a standard socket.

Now have a Tesla Model 3, and looking at Pod Point a few months ago prices looked reasonable with the grant.

Just gone on their website, and it now costs £559 including the grant!

I'm sure these prices were way lower than this a few months back - is this true, or did I maybe misread something?

Can anyone recommend a decent alternative which will be a little lighter on the pocket?

Thanks!

·
Registered
Renault Zoe 50
17,777 Posts
Install a commando 16 amp caravan socket and use your UMC you got with the car.

·
Registered
14 Posts
Hi all,

Previously had a c350e, and got mucked around by the charger installer a few years back and never got round to having one fitted - just charged from a standard socket.

Now have a Tesla Model 3, and looking at Pod Point a few months ago prices looked reasonable with the grant.

I'm sure these prices were way lower than this a few months back - is this true, or did I maybe misread something?

Can anyone recommend a decent alternative which will be a little lighter on the pocket?

Thanks!
I had my pod point fitted in Feb and cost me £300

·
Registered
167 Posts
The OLEV EVHS grant got cut from £500 to £350, taking effect from April. Most installers were already booked up months in advance so prices went up before then.

The need for smart chargers under the grant a couple of years ago had already put prices up.

Depending on how much work is needed you may be better off getting a non-smart 7kw (or something like the Tesla one) fitted by an electrician instead.

·
Registered
2 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
Thanks for all the replies! Would prefer a smart charger, but may opt for a 'plug n play' one. Something to think about!

·
Registered
2,760 Posts
Maybe I'm dreaming but i thought i saw something in the last week about the grant going back to £500 ?
Cant find anything on Google though.

·
Registered
1,976 Posts
Maybe I'm dreaming but i thought i saw something in the last week about the grant going back to £500 ?
Cant find anything on Google though.
It was just an extension honouring the discount for people who already had an install booked but can't get it done because of covid-19.

Reactions: WonkoTheSaneUK

·
I'm not crazy, the attack has begun.
29,849 Posts
Hi all,

Thanks!
Fit a 32A ceeform socket and make your own EVSE.

·
Registered
4,929 Posts
That's depends on your understanding of "Smart". Do you mean that you want one with or without timers, or that you don't want the OLEV requirements?
As an example the Podpoint has no timer function but qualifies for the grant. Others, for example, the ChargedEV have full smart timing functions.

1 - 12 of 12 Posts