Speak EV - Electric Car Forums banner
1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Registered
14 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I have seen a few people comment that the AA guy said the 12v issues stem from a missing bolt on the battery. Has anyone else been told this?

·
Premium Member
VW ID.3 1st Edition & Tesla M3 LR
6,891 Posts
I have seen a few people comment that the AA guy said the 12v issues stem from a missing bolt on the battery. Has anyone else been told this?
Do you mean the bare stud near the battery?

Not quite sure what it’s role is, but the blade underneath doesn’t connect to anything, so unlikely to be related to 12v issues, which have been resolved since ME2.0 anyway apparently.

·
Registered
14 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Do you mean the bare stud near the battery?

Not quite sure what it’s role is, but the blade underneath doesn’t connect to anything, so unlikely to be related to 12v issues, which have been resolved since ME2.0 anyway apparently.
I'm trying to find out - it was two people on the Facebook group said their AA call out had said the same thing about the battery bolt and one was on 2.0 and the other 2.1 both had drivetrain errors that they put down to the 12v system

·
Registered
Volkswagen ID.3 Life
2,734 Posts
I'm trying to find out - it was two people on the Facebook group said their AA call out had said the same thing about the battery bolt and one was on 2.0 and the other 2.1 both had drivetrain errors that they put down to the 12v system
I don’t think that’s right. Some guys here have done a lot of research and the 12V battery is really going flat by itself sometimes. It’s fixed with a software update so it’s not a physical problem.

the drivetrain errors are also a software glitch as they tend to go away by themselves in just minutes. Also, it’s reported that if the car is left on charge for more than 8 hours you get weird errors.

·
Registered
528 Posts
It’s fixed with a software update so it’s not a physical problem.
My understanding is that it's not "fixed" but a workaround was put into the 2.0 software that allows the main battery to charge the 12v when required, to stop it going flat. I don't think anyone knows for sure, it's been debated to death on here. My car still loses 1% or more of drive battery overnight sometimes, which supports the theory that it's topping up the 12v.

·
Registered
4,785 Posts
Missing battery bolt turned out to be a red herring. I noticed (Dec last year I think) what looked like a missing nut; there's a nice shiny threaded stud under the bonnet over by the passenger side, and that's attached to a chunky fuse thing that can't be cheap. So I stuck a nut & washer on mine & raised the issue here. After others inspected closely with endoscope etc, we reckoned that it's not actually doing anything at all, or even connected up. Thinking is it's probably intended for some other purpose, maybe on hgher-spec models, maybe ID.4, whatever. Just happens to have got included in the ID.3 .

Battery issues seem to be with "vampire" drain when car decides to talk to VW/whatever, and how the car does/does not topup the 12V etc, as mentioned above.

1 - 6 of 6 Posts