Speak EV - Electric Car Forums banner

Missing road numbers in navigation

3K views 6 replies 4 participants last post by  Bill N 
#1 ·
New MY owner here - 600 miles in I'm extremely happy, but have one or two frustrations.

A fundamental one is that the navigation seems to use road names most of the time, instead of numbers (major UK roads are numbered e.g. A6, M1; in Milton Keynes we have a grid of H6, V3 etc.). Tesla invariably uses the names in turn-by-turn navigation, which is hard to follow because it's numbers that appear in road signs, and painted on the road. Nobody uses road names. Even knowing when to leave a motorway is sometimes difficult, because instead of "Junction 8" it'll say "St. Helen's". In contrast, Google Maps, and every other in-car navigation I've known, uses numbers.

I'll get over it if that's just the way it is, but has anyone had the same frustration and found a way to change the behaviour?

#3 ·
No sat nav refers to the MK H/V roads as such. It’s always “Grafton St” etc, even with Waze IIRC.

#4 · (Edited)
I'm surprised this isn't a big issue for people driving unfamiliar routes. At big roundabouts, I want to know what lane to be in (A414 or A5505) - I've no idea which of them is "Prince's Road"! So I'm forced to zoom out on the map, look which direction we are headed and take a guess at the lane.

Do you think there's any point opening a service/support ticket with Tesla?

Google Maps on Android shows both number and name: "H6 Child's Way".

I routinely have apple maps running as well so I’ve got good directions, and mute the Tesla nav.
That’s a shame, given how much you paid for the Tesla!

#7 ·
The Tesla nav is generally okay - the big screen helps. Searching for stuff is easy. But when you use Apple Maps you quickly realise it could be so much better. (Apple Maps has far overtaken Google Maps now in terms of visuals, lane guidance & directions).

There is a project to get CarPlay (& Android Auto) on the Tesla main screen - I’ll be doing that once it has matured and can be accomplished more easily and cheaply.

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.