Speak EV - Electric Car Forums banner
1 - 20 of 44 Posts

·
Registered
441 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Today, I drove 90 miles in my 30kw Leaf starting with 100% charge and 126 miles on the GOM. At 15%, I got a Low Battery warning and then at 7%, these screens popped up. No % indicator and no mileage indicator and no sign of the turtle! Luckily we just made it home but it was scary. So much for 155 miles range!
Neon Vehicle Car Auto part Neon sign
Auto part Technology Car Vehicle Electronic device

·
Registered
441 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Well, I was expecting the mileage and % indicators to gracefully decrease from 7% and 12 miles to zero. When they suddenly both disappeared I wasn't sure what had happened. I expected to see the turtle at 0% not a line of dashes! There was no indication of how far the car would travel once the dashes appeared which was scary on a dark country road!

·
Registered
449 Posts
Yes, 6 to 7% is the Very Low Battery warning. On mine the range prediction cuts at that point, but the battery percentage left carries on for a mile or so, not going blank until it hits 5%.

If you reset the mileage when this happens, you will at least keep track of how far you have gone from the point the GOM went blank. You have probably got something like 6 or 7 miles left at that point, if you take it carefully. Don't know for sure, as I have never run out completely so far, or even hit turtle!

·
Registered
205 Posts
I managed to get the dashes last week on the a30 heading east on a horrible rainy day. I wasn't far from the rapid at Okehampton so I knew I'd get there, but that was the lowest I had been so far..

·
Registered
2018 Nissan Leaf 40kWh Tekna - love it
1,518 Posts
Had dashes today when 9 miles displayed then went to dashes. Reset trip display and carried on having 7.2 miles left to get home. Made it comfortably driving 30-40 along country lanes.

·
Registered
85 Posts
The dashes at a low battery % are the most annoying thing about the Leaf - the one time you really need to know exactly how you're doing is exactly the time when you are flying blind!

I've had the low battery dashes quite a few times, but mostly when I've been very close to home and so haven't had to worry. The worst I've had was coming home with my son and some of his friends when the display went to dashes when we were about 5 miles from home. Driving at 25-30 (quiet winding country roads anyway so not too antisocial) meant I made it.

·
Super Moderator
7,610 Posts
It's good practice to reset the trip meter and economy meter when you get Low Battery Warning. You have 4kwh of energy left. If you're doing 4mpkwh that means 16 miles. 5 means 20 and 3 means 12. When the dashes appear you can still have an idea of whats left.

Reactions: Ganymede and EdH

·
42k miles on public charging. Am I an expert yet?
2,970 Posts
Turtle mode seems odd in the 30kWh - I've driven the battery right down to 0% on one occasion before (as indicated by the rapid charger when plugged in after a verrrrrrrrryyyyyyyyyyyyyyyy long last few miles), but still never seen Low Power Mode!

It must come in literally at the zero of indicated SOC or something.

·
2,970 Posts
Except DBT rapids register 0% for anything under 3% in my experience (in a 24)...
I've seen 2% before.... but I don't make a habit of arriving that low!

·
Registered
2018 Nissan Leaf 40kWh Tekna - love it
1,518 Posts
It's good practice to reset the trip meter and economy meter when you get Low Battery Warning. You have 4kwh of energy left. If you're doing 4mpkwh that means 16 miles. 5 means 20 and 3 means 12. When the dashes appear you can still have an idea of whats left.
Sounds reasonable. So I guess if youve been driving frugally the dashes would come on at 16 miles remaining but if youd been thrashing it the dashes would appear at 12. When mine came on at 9, I was slipstreaming a slow lorry and at one point had 20%/30 miles displayed, so very frugal. So maybe the 4kWh energy left is a bit optimistic. Is this official Nissan info?

·
2,970 Posts
What possible connection is there between a turtle and a very low traction battery?
In a Leaf, when the battery is reaching the very end of its usable charge, it enters Restricted Power Mode. This is represented on the dashboard by a symbol in a tortoise/turtle shape, and so has become known colloquially as Turtle Mode.

·
Banned
1,777 Posts
I dunno about a Leaf 30, but a Leaf 24 battery warning should activate at 18%. If it comes on any higher than that, 19-22% is common then it means your battery status is out of sync and your quoted batter range is over quoting you a few extra %. You need to do a charge to 100% on a 3-pin or T2 to get the cells to rebalance properly and get it back to coming on a 18%.

And on a Leaf 24 the dashes usually appear quickly after going down to 6%.

·
Registered
2,428 Posts
So, the progress seems to be from Low Battery (18%) (Also can limit to 60MPH), Very Low Battery (7%) (Reduced acceleration), Turtle (Less than 1%) (few hundred metres range), 0% and no traction or powered steering but brakes still work.

I've been in turtle twice and run out once. I was at the top of the services carpark when I ran out of charge and managed to coast to the Ecotricity charger with alarms going off, a raft of warning lights and no powered steering. I got a 0% to 100% charge from the rapid charger in less than 45 minutes, it was a cold day so I think that helped.

1 - 20 of 44 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.