Speak EV - Electric Car Forums banner

1 - 12 of 12 Posts

·
Banned
558 Posts
Now that this car is finally arriving in showrooms its startig to look more interesting. A full 5 seater and a full sized book - more the family hack that the current batch of BEV and E-Revs. Phenomenal economy and the ability to pick up a charge almost anywhere. London to Inverness in one tank/ one battery charge - it certainly delivers!
In the attached presentation, I note that the Outlander has a mains outlet - so a stranded BMW could always ask an Outlander for a charge?
http://www.chademo.com/pdf/mitsubishioutlander.pdf
It will never be included in the UK version - apparently the battery will power for a day and if you run the engine as generator - power the house for a week!
Dont tell teh Caravan Club - there will be no cars for the rest of us! :rolleyes::rolleyes:

·
Registered
206 Posts
I saw the outlander on the road just finished having the trim done the other day looks good and specs look great.

If I see another one I will see if I can get some good pictures and look around

·
Registered
1,160 Posts
With on route charging parking spaces designed the way they are though you wouldn't be wanting to go far with a trailer attached would you? Even the leaf hangs over the marked areas sometimes and a trailer would just block most charger unit car parks!!!!
Yet another example of EVs playing second fiddle to the Dino juice cartels by lack of intelligent charge point design from the outset.
No top down plan, no thought to sustaining existing post infrastructure let alone future developments.
We had maybe one chance to get this right the first time in the 3rd millennium.

·
Banned
558 Posts
I'm not sure about all GBEVs points. Mitsu' invested heavily in the Imiev and marketed the all over the world; however, even as an iMiev owner - it flopped!
Most blame can be placed at Mitsubushi's door; however, a more honest view was thar it was too far ahead of its time and infrastructure was nil.
What Mitsubushi seem to be doing is going back to the segment where the Shogun was a big winner. The Outlander is technologically very advanced (too much for my taste); however, in this immature market they are looking to place a 'niche product'? Good luck to them, I think we can reasonably expect interesting BEVs to appear - when they judge the market is ready! (IMHO)

·
Registered
1,160 Posts
I'm not sure about all GBEVs points. Mitsu' invested heavily in the Imiev and marketed the all over the world; however, even as an iMiev owner - it flopped!
Most blame can be placed at Mitsubushi's door; however, a more honest view was thar it was too far ahead of its time and infrastructure was nil.
What Mitsubushi seem to be doing is going back to the segment where the Shogun was a big winner. The Outlander is technologically very advanced (too much for my taste); however, in this immature market they are looking to place a 'niche product'? Good luck to them, I think we can reasonably expect interesting BEVs to appear - when they judge the market is ready! (IMHO)
I wasn't knocking Mitsubishi for fitting a Chademo to a tow vehicle, good luck to them. It is a niche which somebody was sure to fill.
The problem is we don't have drive through charge points in Britain as far as I am aware.
We only have drive through petrol and diesel pumps.
Tesla had the foresight to make them drive through.
Our gov'mint failed to spot that rationale even with the benefit of hindsight:rolleyes:o_O.
More alarming it has apparently no interest in there ever being a working fast charge network.
It's interest was myopic....to quell range anxiety only and assist the uptake of EV's by partialy funding them and some charge posts somewhere (anywhere):rolleyes:o_O.

·
Registered
1,123 Posts
I was at a Mitsubishi dealership last week and saw one of these. The salesman told me there was no price difference between this and the diesel version. That is what might make this a big success, I think.

·
Super Moderator
7,695 Posts
I don't think it was an infrastructure problem at all, I think it was the fact the imiev is an electrified kei car. I had one on an extended test drive and it reminded me of a cheap japanese car from the 90's. Stepping out of a prius and into this car everything was inferior, the build quality, the styling, the quality of the interior, the way it drove, the radio, the safety, the tinny sound of the doors, the missing fifth seat. The -only- good thing about the imiev is that it's electric, and even then it's slow and doesn't go very far.

Reactions: fenlander

·
Premium Member
1,579 Posts
I don't think it was an infrastructure problem at all, I think it was the fact the imiev is an electrified kei car. I had one on an extended test drive and it reminded me of a cheap japanese car from the 90's. Stepping out of a prius and into this car everything was inferior, the build quality, the styling, the quality of the interior, the way it drove, the radio, the safety, the tinny sound of the doors, the missing fifth seat. The -only- good thing about the imiev is that it's electric, and even then it's slow and doesn't go very far.
The iMiev failed because it was overpriced and underspecified relative to the Leaf, which Nissan marketed better as a total solution, with their finance packages and dealer charging points.

The comparison with the Prius isn't really fair – it's better than the 2002 Citroen I stepped out of! The iMiev is an urban runabout and is pretty good in its intended environment. I really appreciate its narrowness as I rarely have to wait behind a parked car on residential roads for oncoming traffic to pass through the gap. Its only really flaw is the power/range hungry heater, which we avoid using by having after market electric seat covers. Range only becomes an issue if there's a need to make long journeys – most of our family's are within a 30 mile radius of home and our CZero does about 8x the mileage of our petrol car.

·
Registered
Peugeot iON 2013, Renault Zoe 50 2020
464 Posts
I stepped out of 8 years of Prius driving into my iON and am very happy with it. Where I live the dimensions of a Kei car are an asset, not a handicap. Peoples requirements for cars are different, which is why it's necessary to have a wide choice.

1 - 12 of 12 Posts